Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

which model is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which model is best?

one other thing, i feel that the 450 is more peppy right off idle, i think it's because it's a 5 speed. The KOD's clutch engages quickly, but the 450 feels a little more peppy right of idle (but after that it's the KOD all the way)

I live where the weather is cold in the winter, and yesterday the choke frooze on my bike, so it wouldn't start, i think it was from the mild days and the cold nights (condinsation) but i must say the honda's never frooze. i thought my carb has a heating element in it?? or does the bike have to be running for that to work? Anyways a hairdryer was needed for it to start.

Old 11-10-2002, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Both are fine machines. Take both out for a test ride and make your own decision.

Old 11-11-2002, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider

Stay away from belts! They are bad news. Anything that gets wet shouldn't have a belt involved in it. After owning a few Polaris's I have learned my lesson-Leave the belts on the sleds! Other than that pick whichever bike suits your riding style the best and don't compromise.

Old 11-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Stay away from belts! They are bad news. Anything that gets wet shouldn't have a belt involved in it.
Although i understand where you're coming from, i don't think you should judge all belt driven quads from your experiences. I've had mine in water level, and over the headlights, no belt slippage. the kodiak might be sealed better than others (polaris) but even the new polaris' are very water tight. I'mm willing to bet that you had an older model polaris, right???

Old 11-12-2002, 05:23 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Not trying to start a brand war but I've seen SP700s work their way through swamp holes that looked impossible, a couple of 660s got their belt wet, different riders, slightly different techniques, and sometimes different lines of attack. Belt driven quads have evolved to the point where the only way a belt will get soaked is by dunging the tranny under water. I still worry about my belt drive tranny but this is more due to the fact I'm still learning how everything works compared to water induced slippage.

Old 11-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

I have the 450 Kodiak and love it. I too have been worried about the belt but now that I have had it a couple months I won't go back to a footshift. I have ridden the honda and it is a good machine too. I'm glad with my purchase and would do it again. My buddy bought a Rubicon on the same day and we ride together and my kodiak is a little faster on top end but they stay with each other on all the trails. Which ever one you choose I think you'll be happy.

Old 11-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

Haymaker and TG1,
Thanks guys for your input. I really look forward to hearing the different opinions.
Jack

Old 11-13-2002, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

If you take the front rack off the KOD (which i have to do to top off the rad with antifreeze) you'll see the air intake for the tranny
(about a 2" diameter tube) if the water stays below the front rack, or even with it you'll be safe trust me. Anyways a 5 speed will take on water if they get in that deep too. (in the air box) There is also a vent tube (of the same size) in the back of the quad, it draws air in the front and it's released out the back (the air circulation cools the clutches) Price wise the KOD is $500 more where i live ($7000 vs. $7500)

Old 11-13-2002, 08:01 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

$500 well spent if you consider the price of a HL locker and disc brake kit.

Old 11-14-2002, 06:00 AM
Trailblazer

Rincon.
I've got a few questions for ya, and by the way thanks for the replies.I forgot to ask you about the fact that your carb. froze up. Do you keep your machine in a garage or is it kept outside? Do you use gas line anti freeze? Years ago I used to go ice fishing with a couple of guys that rode Yamahas' one a three wheel and the other a four wheeler. Both of these guys would have their machines freeze up while transporting them to the lake. I had a Honda 300 then and never had a problem. Anyway,I've got a few more questions.You mentioned having to take the rack off to get at the fill on the radiator. Do you need to take the rack off when you check it or just when your topping off? How often do you need to top it off? Whew!!! My last question is when you mentioned prices was that Canadian currency? O.K. I guess that does it . Looking forward to your response.
Jack

Quick Reply: which model is best?