Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

which model is best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which model is best?

I keep my machine in the garage (not heated all the time) and no i don't run any gas line anti freeze, the gas never was the problem, the choke cable had moisture in it (warm day followed by a cold snap) Dad's 300 honda needs gas line anti freeze to stay running in the winter though, it's because of the metal gas tank (more condinsation)

To check the rad you have to take off the rack (four 12mm bolts, 2 10mm bolts) and then pop off the black plastic piece (no tools for that) The overflow resivoir is located infront of the pull starter, just pop off the plastic engine cover (no tools) and check it. The reason i have to fill the rad so often is cause i have a '00 KOD wich had a faulty water pump. (the inpeller shaft seal gets dirt in it and causes it to leak) I'm told the '01 and up KOD's have a vent hoose on the water pump-don't leak. I check it before every ride (big rides-50+miles) because twice i was out on the trails and the high temp light came on, with no tools it's a long drive home. But i'm 100% confident after i fill it that it won't over heat.

The prices i gave you were canadian, and the KOD price was for the 400, the 450's have a rediculas price tag on them now, $8999!!! i hope that comes down!!

Old 11-30-2002, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

You have pick 2 good machines. I've heard of people saying that the belt gets wet and they slip....personally I have not experieced anything like that. I have a 99 Grizzly and go through plenty of deep water. I have a nice size stream/creek on my property which is about 3ft deep. I go through it all the time up too the seat with water and never had any problems. My buddy has an honda es and he is not very happy with it......He has problems riding around in the snow with it.....he says that he cant climb hills with it ......three wheels spin and he doesnt go anywhere. The same hills my Grizzly went straight up. I would pick the Kodiak 450....Yamaha has put alot of engineering into it. It is a great compact machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KODIAK 450 ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Yamaha Grizzly 600
Suzuki Vinson 500
Suzuki Eiger 400

Old 12-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

The same hills my Grizzly went straight up.
not saying you're wrong, but a grizz600 is a 3WD too. The foreman is a capable machine, but so is the KOD, it's a close one i'd say.

P.S Jack51 PM me and i'll give you some pics of our rides in action etc...

Old 12-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a nice size stream/creek on my property which is about 3ft deep. I go through it all the time up too the seat with water and never had any problems. My buddy has an honda es and he is not very happy with it......He has problems riding around in the snow with it.....he says that he cant climb hills with it ......three wheels spin and he doesnt go anywhere. The same hills my Grizzly went straight up. I would pick the Kodiak 450....Yamaha has put alot of engineering into it. It is a great compact machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KODIAK 450 ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not that you arent biased or anything...I have a Honda Foreman 450 S, and my neighbor has a KOD, and he says he hates his, since he always has to get towed in mud and water because his belt slips. My Foreman runs perfect, and is bullet proof. I have not found any ATV that is better all around, and I have ridden alot. I think with a set of 26" tires, and a good driver, it could go most anywhere. My Foreman hasnt gotten stuck yet, and I have had it just over the seat in water. It has not had any problems yet, and it is a 1999. I would say go with a Honda here, since they are proven reliable and in the event of any problem, your dealership will usually back you up and try to get you the best deal on upgraded parts and such.

Old 12-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Here's something, I not sure I understand this yet so don't take this as gospel, maybe some of you other guys can help explain. I think possibly the foreman has a very low center of gravity. I've noticed I can climb hills that are really steep and very rough that other 4 x 4's have flipped on. Sometimes I lose traction, but never flipped over backwards. Other people tend to be surprised by it. I'm trying to figure out why and here are some of my theories though I know some are wrong.

1. I'm a great rider. (not likely)
2. I've been lucky so far. (possible, but I've gone up hills that other quads have flipped on and not even felt like I was anywhere near flipping, actually saying to myself "how could he have flipped on this hill?).
3. The foreman has a low CG. I really think this is it. Looking at the 450 it doesn't look like it has much "body lift"as much as the Kodiak, Vinson, etc. In other words the fenders are not high up off the wheels. I has less suspension travel and the ride quality reflects this and that also agrees with my theory. As Rincon said, the 450 can outcorner the Kodiak, which may be explained by low CG.

I may be way off base here, what do you guys think?

Old 12-11-2002, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

You are right. The Honda's engine and most of its 590 lb wieght is atleast even with the tires. Also, it isn't as "torquey" as some other quads, so when you push the throttle it isn't going to just out from under you. This helps in most any situation, as you will have more control over it.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

The guy that his belt keeps slippin must have (at one time or another) changed his belt, and mabey used the old gasket. Mine has never slipped, and i lost it in a lake this summer (got winched out)

The 450 is also a fair bit wider than the KOD, this acompanied by a low CG makes it corner, and climb very good.

I think with a set of 26" tires, and a good driver, it could go most anywhere.
Nope! my brother's has 26" Titain 589's on it and it's been stuck 5,6,7, i lost track how many times. But if it gets stuck than NO other straight axel quad (with 26") tires is going through. Or even a sp for that matter.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nope! my brother's has 26" Titain 589's on it and it's been stuck 5,6,7, i lost track how many times. But if it gets stuck than NO other straight axel quad (with 26") tires is going through. Or even a sp for that matter.
If a Foreman is stuck in something, expect having trouble on most anything else. I have gotten mine stuck on stock tires, and this was farther into the mud hole than a Grizz on 27"s had gome right before me. I will say that with whatever one you go with, MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BUDDY ON ANOTHER QUAD WITH YOU! Getting stuck on a 600+ lb machine (fluids) is not an easything to extract yourself from, I have tried and almost messed my back up really bad. I would say go with atleast another 450 if its deep mud, and a 350 will get you out of <u>most</u> other stuff

Old 12-12-2002, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

go with the kodiak, we found its reliability out! my uncle put it in the lake on thin ice and we drained the fluids, checked things over and it fired up! kodiak has locking front diff!, digital speedo,ect ect good msrp!

Old 12-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

go with the kodiak, we found its reliability out! my uncle put it in the lake on thin ice and we drained the fluids, checked things over and it fired up! kodiak has locking front diff!, digital speedo,ect ect good msrp!
Foreman has electronic speedo, electronic clock, electronic odometer, lower mspr, and a limited slip front differential.

Quick Reply: which model is best?