Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 06:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?

Action,
Thanks for the info. I like all the features that the Kodiak offers and the auto tranny would be nice for the wife, plus it has foot boards which she likes. My wife wants to know if you can get floor boards for the Honda 450 S ?
Jack

Old 11-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was atv shopping this summer myself with a few of the same goals you have. I ended up with a Kodiak 450 and have not been sorry after about 80 miles and 15 hours. I know not a long proving time but so far its been no trouble at all. I use it for hunting, trail rides, pulling my bush hog, and snow plowing soon. Pulling my bush hog was the reason I bought the 450. Its slow moving work and some times has to be done in hot weather. I thought the liquid cooling and the low range suited my needs the best. I favored Honda myself but wanted an auto trans, their only model with auto was the Rubicon( beyond my atv budget) then so I got the Kodiak

Good Luck

Old 11-14-2002, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer

Nail Driver,
Gee sounds like alot of positives for Kodiak but I'm just worried about when the warranty runs out! I probably worry too much but I'm on a limited income right now. I've owned a number of Yamaha motorcycles and they have proved reliable but I just wonder 5 yrs. down the road.I had a Honda 4x4 and never put a penny in it ,except normal wear items.Thanks for the input and just when I think I know what to go with I get another view point. Well I'm writing down all the pluses and minuses and will decide soon.
Jack

Old 11-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Range Rover

my 450 S has been trouble free so far if this helps but it is not as fast as the kodiak.

Old 11-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

450 honda-79km/h (49.3mph)
400 KOD-92km/h (57.5mph)

not sure if the 450 KOD is faster.

Old 11-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

For what it is worth..... I have a 2000 Rancher ES that I have had since new. It has over 1000 miles on it. The only maintenance, other than changing the oil every 300 miles, was to have the valves adjusted last month! On the other hand, I have an '03 Kawasaki Prairie 650 with belt drive. I have had it for 3 months and have put 270 mile on it. It has already needed a valve adjustment and the belt deflection is out of spec and needs to be shimmed to be brought back to spec. Neither of these items are covered under warranty (I have let Kawasaki know how ticked off I am)! For pure reliability, you cannot beat the Honda! That does not mean the Yamaha is a bad machine. One of the best 2 wheelers I ever owned was a Yamaha 125 AT2 (air cooled 2 stroke). I had that bike from 1972 until 1978 and had put over 6000 miles on it, and only had to replace sprocket/ chain, and top jug a couple times. SO, that Yamaha engine was great.. Based on my limited experience, I would not own a quad w/ a belt again! I am thinking about putting a clutch kit in the Kawi and hopefully that will change my opinion on the belt drive. Good luck w/ whatever you decide on, but I have to say that the ES system has been bulletproof for me and has the floorboards that you want.

Old 11-19-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

I purchased aftermarket Foot Guards for my S, which work great, the ES comes standard with Floorboards.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefere water cooled to air cooled. Less heat and none of my friends have experienced coolant leaks on any of their ATVs. Some of the machines also have had their belts last for years and they end up replacing them for maint. Depends on how you ride them and if you use low range when you should.

I like my Rubicon, no belt (although that was not a concern when purchased) and it is water cooled.

Old 11-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jack 51
I don't think you can go wrong with either quad. The kodiak engine is regarded as being almost bulletproof and as for the ES...well, it's a honda, what else do you need to know.

Old 11-20-2002, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Con Man,
Thanks for the input. We looked at the KODIAK today, pretty impressive . were going to check out a fewthough
Jack

Quick Reply: Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?