Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking for Utility 4x4 Under $5,000

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Utility 4x4 Under $5,000

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new 4x4 Utility. We live in the woods (with many boulders) that we had timbered a few years back. I'd like to get something that is capable of pulling all the tree tops and logs, etc. that was left behind from the timbering. But, at the same time, I want to be able to keep the "fun factor" for when I take it trail riding (Which I'm sure will be most all I'll use it for after the woods are cleared out). My wife has given permission :-) for up to a $5,000 atv (not including tax). From my research it has come down to the Suzuki Eiger Manual or the Yamaha Kodiak 400. I kinda decided against the Big Bear because of the reviews it got in the ATV Action shootout that the Eiger won. The Kodiak is a little smaller and more nimble than the Eiger but I'm also worried that the Kodiak 400 won't handle the work without the low range trans. A friend just got a kodiak 400 and really likes it. But, he is using it just for trail riding.

I was hoping to get opinions and maybe even other options.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2002, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was in the same situation as you except I didn't really need any "fun factor" for my atv and I ended up getting a suzuki kingquad. Super low range is great for creeping over stuff and pulling. The suspension does leave something to be desired though for faster riding. You might want to check out the smaller arctic cats(AC300 AC250) as they have smoother suspension and the super low range. Also I imagine they would be less than $5k so you could buy some racks for tools and a chain saw. Give them a test ride, you might like the smaller, lower feel of them plus they will out work most bigger atv's with the better gearing.

Old 11-14-2002, 04:55 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

The Cat 250/300 4x4 are worth looking at, although you might have some luck finding a left over 375 4x4 for that price or maybe even an 03 400 ACT manual. In terms of utility the only thing close to a Cat is a Bomb and they don't have a 4x4 for under $5000 (right now).

Old 11-14-2002, 06:57 PM
wyd
Range Rover

The main reason I would go with the Kodiak over the Eiger is that the Kodiak has been out for a longer period of time so the Kodiak has most of the bugs worked out. My brother has a BigBear and he trail rides with it all the time. I ride it as much as him over my Warrior (which I like alot). Not sure what the ATV magazine says but it is great for work and trail riding. It is a nice simple working machine and has proven to be super reilable over the years. The 350 BigBear was bullet proof and so is the 400 BigBear. It is geared super low for work and for slow to medium speed trail riding it is great. IT runs about 50mph so if speed it your thing then this machine don't cut it.

The Eiger in manual would be better for working over the Kodiak since it has no belt to ever worry about burning up. The Kodiak is more of a trail type machine and without low gear it wouldn't be the best worker. I would either look at the Big Bear or the Eiger.

Good luck in what ever you go with.

Old 11-16-2002, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

Check cycletraderonline.com and look for a used grizzly 660 and don't look back they are out there a little more than $5000 i have seen them around $5500 and a little less i have seen a few at $5000 also but they go quick also there is one on ebay right now for $5395 buy it now if you look on just type in YAMAHA GRIZZLY in the search thing and it will bring up all the grizzly stuff but you will find it there good luck Tony

Old 11-16-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

You've narrowed it down to some good choices. I feel I can elaborate on this since I have both. The Eiger is the best bang for the buck out there. I got my 5 sp for $4950.00 out the door with a nice helmet. I actually prefer riding it to my Kodiak, I guess cause it's quicker (which I didn't expect cause the Kodiak is quite fast) and better ride. The low range on the eiger is really low so it is good for crawling down STEEP hills or working. Mine has been great so far and expect it to be a good bike. The Kodiak has been a great bike as well and will keep it for hunting. That's one draw back is the eiger is a little long due to the brush guard that sticks out in the front and my tailgate will not quite shut but my Kodiak fits. I like the manual over the auto eiger due to better throttle response, the auto seems to have some lag (unlike the Kodiak).

I guess the main difff between the two is the price, which I really don't know what the $ of the kodiak is now but is was about a grand diff between the two. The only thing you really get for that grand is the kodiak is water cooled engine. I think the eiger is more simplistic in design which may help long term reliability. Mine only has about 300 miles. It had some trash in the carb at first and stalled a couple of times but they fixed that and has been fine since for over 200 miles. My kodiak has been great but it had a couple of probs too like a front shock broke (defective) and the choke cable froze and steering column needed retightening and greased and goes through some brake pads. Other then that it's bulletproof. The eiger is a little more cold natured at first, kinda like some hondas I've had but after 5 minutes it's fine. They're both good but overall I like the Eiger best and I think Suzuki has a good reputation as does Yamaha, so I think the reliability will be there as well.

Old 11-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Mickmouse You may want to look around at various Suzuki dealers to see if they Have any left over Quadrunner500s. This model has been replaced by the Vinson. The MSRP was about 6400 on the QR. You can pick brand new ones up for about 5000, if you can find one. I was gonna buy an Eiger until my dealer offered me a QR500 for 5200 last January. I think they are down to about 5000 now. BTW, the 2002 QR500s have 4x4/2x4 swith, liquid cooled, 500ccs, awsome low end power, about 55mph top speed, and are rugged bikes. I've been beating on mine for 10 months without a single problem. Whatever you decide good luck.

Old 11-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

If I were you I would either get an Eiger or Rancher ES. Last year I was going to buy a new quad and I was looking at the Eiger and the Rancher. I decided to get the Racher ES, partly due to the ES shifting, its size, and I felt that it was more comfortable. I had my mind set on the Eiger before, and I know it had better overall performance than the rancher, better suspension, and a sub trans. The only problem was it would not fit in my truck because of that extended skid plate, and I didnt want to wait for the next shipment of Eigers to come in! I feel that the rancher is more reliable though, and will go anywhere you point it. Out here in Southern California, you can get an Eiger 4x4 or Rancher 4x4 ES for $3,999, which can give you 1,000 dollars of modifications! Hope this helps!
-David

Old 11-16-2002, 06:48 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

How do you figure the Rancher is more reliable because it has Honda on it? The Rancher is no more reliable than the Eiger.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine has an Eiger and he always seems to be having problems. I'm not saying that it is a bad machine, but just that MY Rancher has held up better than his, and we have ridden through the same stuff. The Rancher seems to be crafted better, although it does not have the performance of the Eiger. Its based on opinions though and i'm sure that the Eiger is also reliable.
-David

Quick Reply: Looking for Utility 4x4 Under $5,000