Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Thinking of buying a Grizz 660 but.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a Grizz 660 but.......

I think the Grizz is the machine for me but I`ve been reading about a lot of problems the worst of them Yamaha is ignoring the dealers and consumers on valid warranty claims.

This is the a list of issues that I`ve read about here and at High Lifter.

Major:
Snaping front axles at or near the cv joint
Valve seats wearing out prematurely damaging the head because of weak valve springs

Minor:
Over heating
Vapor locking
The belt gets wet easily

I`m hoping these are flukes because I want a big bore with independent suspension but $7000 for a possible POS no thank you. There are three dealers within 20 miles of my house to choose from but I typically buy and never see them again because I do my own work and buy parts mail order. So I don`t have a good repore with either dealer even the Polaris dealer I got my Scram from.

Can any of you owners confirm that these problems are the exception and not the norm.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I probably can't be of much help, as I have only had my Grizzly for a few months now. I have about 40 hours on it and about 400 miles. So far all I can say is wow!!! I love this machine. I have had absolutely no problems with it what so ever so far. I use to own a Prairie 650 and I had problems with it before I even had 10 hours on the machine. It had a leaking rear diff and the rear break had to be adjusted allot. It also started having belt problems at 400 miles. The Grizzly has been absolutely perfect so far, and I like it way better than I liked my Prairie 650 despite what all the magazines say. All machines will have some type of problems. When you build thousands and thousands of them; statistically there have to be some troubled machines. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. You will run into the possibility of getting a lemon regardless of which machine you buy, no matter whether it is a Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Polaris. If your concerned though, just go ahead and get the extended warranty, like I did. Then if something does go wrong, they will have to fix it. I ride mine with complete piece of mind. And...did I mention that I love this machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, but just don’t do what I do all to often, and that is get paralysis from over analysis. Buy the Grizzly if it is the big bore that appeals to you the most, then just ride and enjoy!

Old 12-23-2002, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Area51

I like that "paralysis from analysis", I believe I have done this to myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Where can I get help?
Seriously though I probably am over analysising the specific problems a little prematurely.

I won`t be buying until early summer so I have lots of time to research and observe how they hold up before then. Probably making my condition worse with each article I read LOL.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I heard lots of negatives about Polaris reliabilty before I bought my Scram and none of them happened So........... less analysis for the next 6 mo. it won`t be easy.

Old 12-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have also heard of problems regarding warranty between Yamaha and it's dealers. I have a few friends that have stopped buying new yamaha's because their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Other than that, my experience with Yamaha is that they make a pretty solid bike. I don't like belt drive thanks to my experience with Polaris but you already are familiar with them-you have a scrambler! I think the weak valve springs have already, or are soon to be updated in the new 660 engine so hopefully that won't be a problem for you. I know that they were working on changing it.

Old 12-24-2002, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I think that they have worked out most of the bugs for 2003. And as far as the warranty is concerned, I'm sure that depends on your dealer. My 2003 Limited Edition Grizzly was delivered with scuffed up fenders, it was damaged during shipping. The dealer covered it under warranty and replaced all the plastic with no questions ask. That was over a $1,000 dollars worth of plastic since it was the Titanium color. Anyway, they could have easily given me the run around, or only replace the absolute minimum of bodywork that they had to, but instead they replace all body panels under warranty with out hesitation. So far I'm very pleased with the Grizzly, Yamaha, and my dealership. Unfortunately I know that this isn't the case with everyone.

EasterEgg, I know what you mean. I suffer from this debilitating disease [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I read, study, and analyze all specs, dimensions and reviews. After a while, I don't know what to do, and can't decide on anything. Hence, paralysis by over analysis [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I'm sure you will make the right decision. I think that you hit the nail right on the head with your Scrambler. You heard and read all kinds of negative things about its reliability, but yet you experienced no problems with yours. Some have problems, and some don't. It happens with all machines, and I don't believe that it is specific to any one manufacture. Either you get a lemon or you don't, doesn't matter what brand name is on it. I bet if you started a pole on this forum, asking Grizzly owners how many have had these problems, and how many haven't, that the haven’t would overwhelmingly win out. I have seen people with Grizzly’s that have had some of the minor problems that you listed still say that they would buy another Grizzly with out hesitation if given the opportunity to do it again. It's a great quad, I know I love mine. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Old 12-24-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

3TV
When Toyota was engineering those cv joints I don`t think their design criteria was 300 hp and 33x12.50`s[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] (sarcasim) but I get your point.

Another great story Sorry to hear about the truck but it sounds like you had fun!

OK I`ll just buy it and see what happens. I wish it could be tomorrow but for some reason the wife says we need a new house first[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] so I need to wait.

Old 12-25-2002, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

get it you will love it,had mine over a year(7/02) no problems yet,and a good dealer too,and i would check the dealers out thoroughly.they are lemons in every brand.

Old 12-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

The only problem I've suffered with my Grizz is the vapor lock or the engine attenpting to anyway. I live in Florida and it only seems to do this on hot days. The vapor lock seems to come from the fact my Grizz will boil the fuel in the gas tank. I talked to my dealer about the problem but they recieved word from Yamaha that they will not warranty this, they once did BUT now no. Anyway my dealer is still trying to work with Yamaha to fix this problem. Still waiting for the answer. Other than the vapor lock I love my Grizz and may upgrade my wife from a Kodiak to a Grizz. I still believe that Yamaha should stand by thier product and make the Grizz problems right ie: vapor lock, CV joints, valve seats. BTW EasterEgg I'd put the overheating and vapor lock in the major catagory instead of the minor, just my opinion from my bad experiences. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2002, 12:51 PM
Range Rover

I USED SOME HEAT TAPE AND DRILLED SOME HOLES IN THE SIDE PANELS WHEN BRAND NEW,DEALER RECOMMENED THIS WHEN I BOUGHT IT,HE SAID IMPROPER VALVE ADJUSTMENT WOULD CAUSE SPUTTERING ALSO,THIS HAS NOT BEEN A ISSUE FOR ME.

Old 12-25-2002, 06:45 PM
Range Rover

I love my Grizzly also.

I enjoy the power, and plush ride, which in my humble opinion rivals or exceeds the Polaris.

I have put 28" 589's on mine. I have yet to experience any problems. I also removed the anti-sway bar, which increases articulation dramatically. It also increases body roll in high speed cornering.
I have always managed to go where other machines cannot get to. That could be a combination of 'good luck', the power of the beast, the tires, and my own youthful stupidity [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have had mine for over a year now with no issues to speak of. Of course I also have a great dealer, Eagle River Yamaha, Eagle River Alaska.

I did have an incident of vapor lock once. It was summer. I was towing a 600lb trailer up into the mountains. We gained 4,000 feet of elevation in 7 miles of trail. Parts were very steep. In fact so steep you could not walk on the trail without your feet sliding out from under you. The engine started to cough and sputter in one of thoese steep sections of the trail. I had to get the machine following me to give a push on the trailer from behind.
Once we got to the top, I took the cowling off and let it cool for 5 minutes. It was back to the beast I had grown to love.

Since that trip I vented the cowling on both sides of the engine, and have had no further difficulties.

I know this probably doesn't help you make up your mind any.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Grizz 660 but.......