Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

HONDA'S NEW DIFF !

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDA'S NEW DIFF !

JUST BECAUSE IT LOCKS DOESN'T MEAN IT RECEIVES 100 %
POWER FROM MOTOR TO THE WHEELS. VERY COMPLICATED !! READ ORIGINAL POST WASN'T TALKING ABOUT LOCKERS,

Old 03-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Range Rover

yes i read your post,a lawsuit attributed to that would be frivilious at best,and you said works "like",not "is" a locker "like" meaning similar not the same...there is no "tip-toeing"
around a front or rear locker,they HAVE them or they do NOT,no matter how you word,or discribe it so called auto-lockers(limited slip,visco-lock,awd) are not the real thing,you have a switch or lever to engage it "if" you got 1.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

I drove a Kawi 650 out of a drainage ditch for a buddy awhile ago and their diff lock is the gear. I had 1 front wheel jammed in the middle of the ditch and 1 wheel in the air. In 4wd the wheel in the air spun uselessly. I then pulled in on the diff lock lever and the wheel jammed in the ditch turned and pulled machine out of the hole!!! Now I love that setup.

The limited slip differential in my forman 450 worked really well when new, especially if I tapped the front brakes while spinning. This action would get the wheel with traction to turn. Now 5 years and 27" tires later, the differential is worn out and is being replaced with a detroit locker from highlifter. With my 424 selector, I expect that this combo will work well together.

Too bad noone makes an aftermarket locker like the Kawi one. It seems simple in design, and functions well.

IMO - simple is better when your stuck in the woods, simple is usually easier to fix. That's why I have a Honda with its outdated/simple design ideas as opposed to the newer electronic gizmos on other bikes like torque sensing 4wd and such. They all get old some day. which is going to be easier to fix.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

READ THE POST AGAIN,I WAS TALKING ABOUT HOND'S NEW DIFF, THEY CLAIM IT WORKS LIKE A SPEED SENSING DIFF,BUT INFACT THEY CALL IT TORQUE SENSING !
GET THE PICTURE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

TORQUE SENSING IS WHAT MAKES THE WHEEL IN THE AIR SPIN USELESSLY, SENDS POWER TO WHEEL WITH LEAST AMOUNT OF TRACTION ,SPEED SENSING WORKS JUST THE OPPOSITE.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

The grizz and p650 lock up into a true 4WD. The Bomb has a true 47WD too, don't care how they accomplish it, just as long as there's 4 wheels spinning in da mud!

Old 03-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

if you dont like hondas diff, buy a kawi or yamaha then, they work awesome.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

what is the year and model of your quad

Old 03-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

I just brought a 2003 Honda 350 4x4 rancher es, and love the hell out of it. I have been in alot of mud, and very deep. I been stuck two times so far, but it was my fault. other then that I have no problem with mine. If and when I get another one I will buy Honda.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I dunno where your getting your information, but honda still uses a limited slip differential, and will not send 100% of the power to the wheel with traction!!! Whoever sold you your quad sure seen you comming. All lockers will lock the wheels together so the wheel in the air will spin, but the wheel with traction spins at the same rate.

Quick Reply: HONDA'S NEW DIFF !