Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

HONDA'S NEW DIFF !

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDA'S NEW DIFF !

Carver,Who Are You Talking To !

And Get What facts Straight ?

Old 03-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

cravey or who every if you don't like honda, or what ever then get a bike you like damit

Old 03-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Trailblazer

Fatty Red, Or Who Ever. Isn't This ATV Forums ,Butt Out! Wasn't No Body Talking To You Directly Anyway.
MY NAME IS DRAVY "BOY"

Old 03-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Technically Carver is right, however come-on carver a diff doesn't have to lock positive to work, Yam's 660 & Kaws 650 front diff work more than aceptable it's onlly some Hondas, Yams, Cats, Suzs that don't work. In answer to original ?, yes all Manufacturers LIE, that's how they get you to buy their product, actually the slaesmen are the worst because most have never even been on a 4wheeler. Here's another baffler for you, if certain brands claim limited slip or posative front diff or whatever, howcome they don't require limited slip front dif oil like the old muscle cars instead of STANDARD gear oil????

Old 03-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

I agree some salesmen don't know sh:t!!!

I think that if the bike has a 2/4WD switch that when you put it in 4WD it should be fully locked. If you complain about how hard it is to steer, than you should have it in 2WD.

But at least it's not like some of those SUV's that one back wheel spins, and the opposite front wheel spins! Just be thankfull for what you got!!

Old 03-13-2003, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

I just bought an '03 foreman 450ES and put 26" Mudbugs on it. When riding in the snow because thats all we have around here, And in 4wd, it hops in the front end when it is chewing through the 2' of snow and spinning. It seems like the diff. on the front is constantly shifting power from one side to the other so fast that it causes a hop. At least thats what I think. Anyone else experience this?? Would a gearless diff lock take care of this problem?

Old 03-13-2003, 08:02 AM
Trailblazer

Amen, Rincon I've Said That For Years,Either It Is Or It Ain't.
At Least 4- Wheelers Don't Have Open Diffs Like You're Talking About.

Old 03-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I don't like the way dravy is trying to get his point across...kinda ignorant...but i agree with him....in his initial post he's not really trying to comment on HOW the honda diff works....only that it doesn't work as Honda advertised....and he's right...honda lied.....that's all he was saying...and that's true....i have owned older hondas and now own a 2002 with the new diff....and i honestly do believe that it works better than the old diff....i've seen it take me places where my friends with the old diff get stuck...and i get through pretty easy....AS LONG AS 4 WHEELS ARE ON THE GROUND....otherwise it works pretty well comparable to the old diff....honda advertised that the power will go to the wheel with traction.....but when one tire is in the air, that tire will spin....yeah, i know the brake trick, but according to honda, i shouldn't have to know it!!....so dravy is right...honda lied.

Old 03-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I can't agree with that 2wd or 4wd lock statment Rincon, For MY atv useage, I find I use 4wd unlocked about 85% of the time, then 10% 2wd & finally 5% LOCKED. I know it doesn't sound like you need lock much, BUT when you do need it, YOU NEED IT. I believe I could live without a lock but only if the bike had enough independent wheel travel to keep 4 wheels on the ground & that eliminates all solid axle bikes, there usage as far as I'm concerned limits them to sport type play bikes. Another interesting development is the solid axle bikes with lockers, they would be a good middle road type all purpose bike but again with a solid rear axle when one tire is in the air it's now a true 3wd & not a 2wd as the non locked bike spins it's air tire uselessly.

Old 03-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

The only time i'd be in 4WD would be in the mud, so why not lock it???? If it's hard to steer, you must not need 4WD, so put it in 2WD. Go try to do everything in 2WD that you do in 4WD (no locked) and you will be VERY surprised at where it will go!

Quick Reply: HONDA'S NEW DIFF !