Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Multi-Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Multi-Mount

I have a 2002 Grizzly and I'm ready to install a winch.
I'm leaning towards a Warn winch and a multi-mount system. I see that you can pick up the Warn multi-mount for about $110 but Montana Jack's is going for almost $400?!? Montana Jack's claims to mount to the frame, doesn't the Warn also?
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on multi-mounts?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, Thanks guys and great forum!

Old 03-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Warn multi-mount on a Sportsman 400 which I had moved over when I traded my Sportsman 335. I also have a Montana Jack's receiver system on my SP700. Both mounts bolted to the same spot on each machine. With the Montana Jack's system some of the holes needed to drill some of the holes out for larger bolts. I don't really think larger bolts are going to make any difference in the long run. The rear mount of the MJ's system had some extra bracing down to the frame which is ok but hasn't caused any problems by not having it on the Warn system.

The MJ's system may be made of a little heavier metal, but I have never broke the Warn mounts either. MJ's uses a small 5/16" pin to hold accessories in the mount. Warn uses a 1/2" pin. It seemed strange to me that MJ's has your replace most of the mounting bolts with 3/8" bolts, at least on my application, and then used a light pin to hole the winch in the mount. I drilled the mounts out to 1/2" on my SP 700. The Warn mounting plate was wider than the winch and has handles to carry it. The Montana Jack's has a small plate just large enough to mount the winch. Montana Jack's sells a "winch protector" that bolts on under the winch. The winch protector makes the mount like the Warn mount.

Both systems are good mounts. I bought the Montana Jack's over the Warn on my SP 700 because at that time Warn didn't have a winch mount for the 3.0 ci winch. I don't know if they do yet. Both mounts are probably stronger than the attachment point on the atv and will work equally well. I do think the Montana Jack's is overpriced compared to the Warn.

Old 03-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a Ton. Your reply was very informative, at the moment Warn still only makes the mount for the 2.5 winch :-(

Old 03-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

Glad you found it helpful. You could maybe get a Warn Mulit-Mount upgrade and modify the mount for a 3.0 ci. I've never really had my 2500lb Warn run out of power though. I rarely use my winch on the front. It's more protected on the back and its usually been easier to get unstuck from the same direction I got in.