Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley, Wisc. ATV Jamboree, Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2000, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea..better if one of the regulares..mentioned a place and time.
Sat works for me and my Kawi friends..wonder if there's a organized "pull" or event that forum friends could meet at??
Meet me at "the corner" and look for a 4 wheeler probably wouldn't work!!
Askin' for rain thurs. and cold frosty nite (BUGS SUCK)!!

Old 05-18-2000, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Our group is full to over-full (10-15) for reasonably fun riding and Saturday we’re meeting and riding with another group of 15-20 riders. The only reason for Saturday’s joint ride is we’re planing to ride the Graveyard Creek trail up on the res. It’s technically off limits and I’ve never ridden it but I’ve always wanted to and these other guys know the trail. They sometimes run into large groups of Indians up there so a large group of riders isn’t going to hurt us any. I will say though, they’ve never encountered any problems with the “locals” while riding it.

As much as I’d like to burn some gas and chew some trail dust with everyone on this thread it just can’t happen. Groups much over a dozen are a menace on the trails. Large groups move slower and are very difficult to get around on narrow trails whether going the same direction or opposite. This causes accidents and arguments and that’s not what we go riding for. Dave McIntyre has had some stickers made up that identify us as participants on this forum. They’re about 2” x 3” and very tastefully done. Mine will be on the front of my SP500 and if we stop by the doin’s at the Alaska House on Sunday I may try to get one to stick to a hat or shirt or something (not my forehead). If anyone else here wants one (or more) contact Dave by e-mail and he’ll set you up. bmcintyre@uplogon.com With a sticker on your bike if we cross paths we can at least stop, meet and say hi (that’s if the sticker is visible behind all the MUD

We’ll be riding Trail 6 at least once a day (or night). Foster Falls, Wren Falls, Plummers Headframe, Springcamp Falls, Trail 7 and 8, Hogsback Trail and the vistas of Trail 6 are the areas we frequent. Good riding to all!!

Old 05-22-2000, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

We will no doubt see you for sure at the drag races and mud bog run on Sunday Morning. Look for the gig guy on a green Xplorer 400 with box and fuel pack accompanied by a Magnum 500 a Sportsman 400 and a red Big Bear.

Old 05-24-2000, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well my bags are packed, and I'm ready to go. I just have to find a few bungee's a little longer to strap everything on. hehe From what I've heard, half the folks on the forum are either there by now or on their way. Anyone left that can give me a weather report? I'm as prepared as I can get for the dust, but I'd prefer to run in the mud. Just to see how my Xpedition stacks up to the big boys.

I believe my partner and I will be in Hurley Sunday for the doins' (we have no definate plans, yet), and will be sporting the Mr. MAC Decals that he and his son so kindly put together for us. If any of you spot us, give us a roost. I'm looking forward to meeting the folks I talk to on this forum.
Later,
Brian

Old 05-24-2000, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hell Thor!!! Are you ready to ride or ready to do the Guns and Roses song "Paradise City"? And you know what that means. TAKE>>>ME>>>>HOME>>>

We should have a nice group on Friday and Saturday. Sounds like everyone will be in camp Thursday night. Hurley ride Sunday. Maybe we can find the "Sassy" one!

Augie wimped out on me again. Got to a very nice mud hole filled with loon s--t. I went for it and got stuck. Thank god for the wicnh. he looked at me and shook his head and said "I am not going to abuse my bike like that. It has to last me a life time." Oh well..

see you Thursday evening! Please bring your SNORE-Arresters!

jigginjack

Old 05-24-2000, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

+Hi brian:
The weather looks to be cool in the mornings with only a chance of rain on Saturday. But be prepared for rain and cold anyway. The forecasters here are wrong once in a while...Temps will be in the high sixties to low seventies.

Hopefully we will meet up with you and Mac on Saturday. Have a safe trip

jigginjack

Old 05-25-2000, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Are you ready to ride....? You know it. If my machine lasts a lifetime I wouldn't have ridden it hard enough. Life is too short for mud-a-phobia.

I get off of work at 4 and the truck and quads are loaded. One quick trip to the gas station and off we go. Gas prices are now up to $163.9 for regular and $1.77.9 for premium.

It looks like Lee and I will be there about the same time as you. Perhaps we could do a short night ride.

So what is the plan for Friday? Be at Island Lake around 10:00 AM?

Old 06-01-2000, 08:25 AM
MNT
Pro Rider

Tell us guys.........how was this event?

Old 06-01-2000, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well let’s see, it was dusty, muddy and a hell-of-a-lot of fun. That about sums it up. Oh, you want more? The deepest and most mud was a 2 mile stretch of Trail 8 on Monday after about a thousand quads rutted it up worse than I’d ever seen over the weekend. We were in mud/water rack deep getting through that. Of course that’s if you don’t count the north end of Trail 7 where the sink holes and obstacles were so bad we had to turn back after ¼ mile. (I hate it when a trail beats me but what can I say?)

The worst of the dust was when we surprisingly hooked up with a group of 52 (total) on Saturday and ran all the way up to Lake Superior where it was 20 degrees colder and the 30mph north wind had 4’ waves breaking on the beach. There were times on the way up there it was so dusty that I could hear the quad in front of me but didn’t know if it was 5’ away or 20’. Nobody liked that part. The rivers were a little low for the season due to the lack of rain, making them easier to cross but reducing the effect of the waterfalls a bit. They were still spectacular to stop at.

We didn’t partake of the doin’s in town but those who did came back telling stories of craziness like quads in dumpsters and a Grizzly stacked on top of a Honda (or was it the other way around?). I spent 410 trail miles in the saddle and loved just about every minute of it.

Does that answer your question?

Old 06-01-2000, 09:41 PM
Mac
Range Rover

I couldn't say more other than a Y2K Kodiak made it thru on trail 8 with only one pull, as compared to the Beaver Dam hey Odin who had to pull me out. To tell you, I really put my new Kodiak thru some tests with only 55 miles prior to this past Rally adding over 400 miles in 4 days. I too didn't think much of the downtown festivities. But I would come back to Iron County in Wisconsin to ride some technical trails of rock and mud and hills and some beautiful falls and vista overlooks. I enjoyed riding with you Odin, Thor, Jiggin Jack, Dusty & Dave, Wayne & Kelly, Dan & Chuck, Floodrunner & Karen. hope to see you all back on the trails sometime soon!!!!

Mac The Rhino Y2K Kodiak

Quick Reply: Hurley, Wisc. ATV Jamboree, Memorial Day Weekend