Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hollister Report.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hollister Report.

Jr and I cruised into Hollister HIlls OHVA friday about three pm. We could have had any campsite we wanted, there was nobody there. Well there were three other vehicles in the campground, at the end of the road.... It was really nice and peaceful....for a change....

So we rode the quads friday and saturday, mostly stayed in the area of the quad track. It's about a half mile , with a 150 yrd dogleg front stretch with four jumps, turn 1 is a flat left turn just about right to slide around, another 50 yrds and a jump 5 then an immediate right then left tight turn( turns 2 and 3), and another jump #6 and 40 yrds to a pretty tight left 180 degree turn (Turn 4), then 35 yrds to a small hill which is a tight right turn (turn 5) another 180 degrees down hill to the home turn (turn 6), another 180 off camber flat turn.

THis track config is about 5 or 6 weeks old and in my opinion needs a little work. First off, the jumps are shaped wrong, all the jumps except jump 1 are shaped like a freestyle jump, that is they have a ever increasing angle up the ramp. the higher up the jump the steeper the angle, which is OK for freestyle jumps on a motorcycle but scary for a four or five hundred pound quad. I think the jump should be rounder allowing the rider to hit the jump at a faster clip and traveleing farther but at less altitude. On Satruday at least one person biffed hard on jump #3 and broke his wrist, I think it is directly attributable to the jump configuration..... So Jr and I along with a couple other groups of riders, tried the track in a reverse direction, and really liked it a lot. Some of the turns were better taken in reverse and the jumped were a kick to just "fly off", as long as you remember to keep the front end up.....

We met a V-Force rider there who seemed well connected with the park, and said that the design was implemented to slow the track down, and be more fun for slower bikes. Indead the smaller quads all could hit the jumps at about full speed and just get some modest air, but again, the jumps are at such a steep angle,...people still get tossed......anyway he also said that if a group of rider formed a club or association, we could recommend changes to the tracks and configs.....and the park might favorably few this input. I would also like to see an additional trac, say a flat TT track for quads, be developed there. He also spoke of the availability of certain other tracks at Hollister, that might be freed up and converted to Quad track if the public interest was such...

So anyway Hollister was pretty nice, beautiful weather this weekend. A hundred or so more vehicles came in on Saturday morning and the park never really filled up but got more crowded, and a lot of different hardware came out.... the most crowded the Quad track got was about twelve rider at the same time....no problem.

I plan to contact the park supervisor and inform him of my thoughts and recommendations....hey you never know, right...

Oh yeah, despite my offer to buy the first beer for anybody from the forum to show up,....enjoyably I had to drink the beer myself, and I got a lot left over....