Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

where to ride in ohio

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2000, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in northwest ohio and would like to know of some good place to ride.

Old 05-28-2000, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

brian
The only public place to ride in Northwest Ohio is the Maumee State Forest up in my neighborhood. The riding there is ok at best. The trails are not bad, just not enough of them. If the communist that run the state forest system in Ohio had a clue of how to run a trail system, there would be good riding in the area. (I will be checking out Michigan trails next year. They look much better) Post another reply or email me if you need directions. I am venturing down to the Wayne National Forest in July. Hopefully that will be good riding. If you follow the trails links in the ATV Connection website. They have good links to the Ohio and Wayne trail systems. I have heard of some private places to ride, but most of the time you are tresspassing or have to pay an access fee. Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2000, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

We are in Coshocton county. We ride at Perry Forest in Perry County. Wayne Nat'l Forest is just minutes from there. Perry has about 13 miles of trails. Real cool riding area. I hear Broken Spokes is good. Around the New Philadelphia area. We have never been there. It was featured in HuevosII. Do you have any plans to go to Orrville in July to watch the races and see if the 'Kangaroo Kid' can make the jump this time? Hope you find some cool places to ride!!!

'98 300EX with lots of extas

Old 05-28-2000, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

MagnumMudMan
You will enjoy Wayne NF. Commies did a good job here.
Went the last weekend in April. Had a blast. Camped at the Dorr Run trail head. The trails range from tight technical to fast paced with lots of 2 ft jumps (water diverters across the trail) lots of hill climbs but not much mud which may be a diappointment given your name.
Its 500 mi drive for me and I considered it worth it. Rode 2 12 hr days and rarely crossed the same trail. The Main Corridoor Trail is a 45mi round trip (from Dorr Run) if you take all the side trails.
ENJOY!!!

98 SC 500

Old 05-28-2000, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Easter
Thanks for the info on Wayne National Forest. The commies I was refering to are the State Forest guys that run the Maumee State Forest up here. They act like they own it and they are just letting you use it. I should show them my last state tax return LOL!!! There is a part of the state woods next to my house that they will not even let horses ride. For peats sake, what in the heck would horses hurt. Anyway, hopefully the liberal tree huggers led by Al Gore (Vote for Bush in November)will not ruin the National Forest for riding. Anyhow, off my political soapbox, we are looking forward to our ride in July at the Wayne. I can do without the mud for a few days. Anyway, it is hard to clean up while at a campsite. The riding area up this way is very muddy. This whole area was once a swamp (the Black Swamp) and this riding area has not changed. I will post a reply when I get back on the fun. Ride on.

Old 05-29-2000, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have just recently found out about ATV's. I have a friend of mine that races. This is how i found out about them in the first place. I would like to learn how to ride one, but i have no riding experience or a place to ride. I live in Stark County, which is in NE Ohio. I live in the city and have very little land. I am 37 years old. I am willing to learn if i knew where to learn. If anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate a response.I don't own one for this same reason, but i would go looking to buy one tomarrow if i had a place.

I have heard people on here talk about "Wellsville" or "Hillsville" are these places appropriate for begginers? I have directions from this website for Wellsville, but i am not sure where Hillsville is located. Any help by anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Old 05-29-2000, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

ATV_Beginer
Glad to see you are interested in ATVing. It is never to late to learn. The great thing about atving is that you feel like a kid again when you are riding (just hurts a little more the next day!!)

As for learning to ride: I do not know of any place in Ohio that you can rent an ATV for a test drive. There are places out west that rent them, but I'm sure it is not cheap. My advice would be to buy an atv, if you do not like the riding, they are real easy to sell and you probably will not lose much in the process. As for what to buy, that is a whole story in itself. If you are looking for an inexpensive used machine, I would look for an older honda. I would start with one in the 250 to 350 range. These machines are pretty tough and dependable, but not a performance machine. I would start with a two wheel drive also as they are the least expensive. If you are thinking new or newer,I am partial to the newer Polaris machines. The Polaris machines are mostly offered in automatic and are very user friendly. You can pick up a new 325 Polaris trail boss for around $3,400. (You can also finance them if needed) I just bought my wife one and she has very little riding experience and on our last trail ride had no trouble keeping up with the experienced riders. If you like the Honda machines, the Recon 250 is a great starter machine for around the same price. The most important thing is to go to several dealers and kick the tires and see what you like. Also, check out the manufacturers websites to get in tune with their lingo on the machines. The Polaris site is www.polarisindustries.com. I would have the dealer in your area find you an ATV safety course to take upon obtaining your ATV. Also, remeber to take it slow the first few times out till you get the hang of it.

As for places to ride, I have never ridden at Wellesville or Hillsville. I had a post a few weeks ago (search under Wellesville). Some idiot has taken the area over and is charging $25 dollars to ride the first time and $10 after that. That is too much to pay to ride. Look under that previous post, there are guys in here that you can email about this place and get better info. I don't know much about hillsville. I know it is in PA and it is private property. From what I have been reading it is posted no trespassing, but people are riding anyway with no trouble from the owner. I would stick to public riding areas unless I was sure it was ok to ride. Look under the trails section in this website for the public places to ride.

Sorry this was long. Hope it helps.

Register to vote. The only way to beat the tree hugging Al Gore is to vote against him.

Old 06-02-2000, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you are thinking about buying an ATV from a dealership buy it from J&J Motors in Masilion. They have the best prices around.

Old 06-03-2000, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate your response, but i am trying to find a place to learn before purchasing a ATV. Your input is very much appreciated. I am more concerned though with finding a place to learn how to ride. Since i am starting at ground zero this isn't going to be easy. I looked today at Broken Spokes in New Philadelphia, Ohio. It looked promissing until i looked at their flyer. It states that riding only in the "Big Bike Track Only" I sent an e-mail to them asking about the riding areas behind which was just a uphill road leading to another track of some sort. Maybe this is a Harscramble course, i don't know, because it leads to some trail in a woods area.

If anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate any respose. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack Greenwalt
Massillon, Ohio

Old 06-03-2000, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Jack,

Some dealers have a trial riding area next to their building and you can try out a variety of bikes. Northridge Yamaha in Geneva and a big place over in PA near Pymatuming let try out the bikes with no committment. The PA place (I'll look it up for you if you e-mail me) has Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda. When I bought my ATV in '94 you could take an ATV Rider Safety Course. You got $50 back for doing it too. A dealer could tell you if this practice still takes place. Try to hook up with someone who will let you ride their bike to see if you like it. I borrowed my neighbor's off and on for a year.
Glad to hear you're interested in joining the ranks. Stay safe and good luck.

Cher

Quick Reply: where to ride in ohio