Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Rasor Road Is Mostly Gone !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 05:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So. Calif.-Rasor Road Is Mostly Gone !!!!

A friend has a new YFZ450, and we just had to see how it would do in the open desert. So, last night we went out to Rasor for a night/morning ride. Boy were we surprised! Most of Rasor road has been WASHED COMPLETELY AWAY BY FLASH FLOODS. An incredible amount of water went through the place during the thunder storms this summer! The road, being the path of least resistance, became a huge river bed (100 yards wide in some places). Many sections have 2 feet of sand in them. I had to air my tires down to get through.

I hope the BLM will regrade the road, but if you are planning a trip there, call the BLM Barstow field office to check the road conditions. You could get through now with a 4X4, but a heavy trailer would be a real challenge, and no way would a motorhome make it.

Some of the riding areas have changed too. Behind the store, there is now a huge wash that is impassable in most spots.

See http://bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/california/index.html (for those who are not familiar with Rasor)

Old 09-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Far out! Hey thanks for the invite. I already had plans for Johnson Valley. Someday we will end up at the same place LOL

Saturday we went to Johnson Valley on Bessimer mine rd and camped on Soggy. Didn't sleep very well due to the noise from the bombing range about 20 miles east of where we were.

I have never heard the bombs before, have you? No it wasn't lightning or people shooting.

All night long BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Then like a 30 minute break and it would start up again.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Neighbor(Chris142)...I know what you mean....29 Palms is always on bombing missions....I just hope one doesn't go astray and end up in Johnson Valley....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Red Rider

Been trying to sort out who is responsible for maintaining the road. County says it is BLM, and BLM says it is county! At the county, I talked to the guy in charge, so I tend to believe him. At BLM, all I could get in touch with was whoever answered the phone. I will keep you all posted. I would like to start going out there by the end of the month.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Red Rider

OK, BLM said the road will be regraded sometime before Thanksgiving. I would call before going (760) 252-6000