Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where I can ride double and have fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where I can ride double and have fun

I'd have to agree with Mrs.Q.............as much as I respect your right to ride double in any area that allows it (until people like myself and others do their damnest to shut this activity down for single place machines).....I really don't see you learning a darn thing about quad riding; other than it wasn't very smart to trust your life to somebody else in the first place (and I don't care how much you "love" or "trust" them).

This isn't meant to offend one bit......I just don't want you to learn something the hard way. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gee, I was responding last night to this ATTITUDE but I said why bother cause their is alot of truth in what is being said but all of us do not ride like it is our last day on Earth and we all do not have sport quads either. Maybe an ID like "Ralph Nader" with "CPS" boldly imprinted on the helmet is in order not that I ..........WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.
When someone asks for info; it doesn't hurt to supply it.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

This is an interesting posting. What happended to individuals being responsible for their own actions? The safest bet is to not ride an ATV at all; one must know their limitiations. I have been riding double for many years but I ride very responsibly when my rider (usually my wife) is on the back. There are places you can ride double and there are places you should not, no matter how safe you ride. I compare the way I ride to riding a horse, no helment, saftey restraints, etc. When I was younger and rode crazy, I rode by myself and wore protective gear, i.e., helment, riding boots, chest protector, etc. I think if a person, or persons, wants to ride double then it should be their individual decision. There are too many regulations in this country now to start tackling off-road enthusiasts. I respect opinions on both sides of this issue but I strongly feel it should be up to the individual rider. However you ride, ride safe........BluRock [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well, If we all did whatever we wanted to - the freeway would be a interesting place. Regulations for atv's, aircraft, boats, cars etc. are in my opinion the mininum operating standards. Having respect for the other people we put at risk is whats its all about. My skydiving friends - as crazy as they are - hold the regulations up as the quidelines to not get dead.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Backseatrider2
What is so wrong with riding double? I have done it for a few years and have not gotten hurt.
It's typically illegal to do so unless the ATV was designed for it. Again we see the perspective of "I haven't gotten hurt, so it must be ok". Do you also ride without a helmet because you haven't bashed your skull in yet?

Old 09-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with that...I could get hurt any time...You can get hurt on your own to...I agree that it is my choice if i want to ride double or not...and if it is so illegal then why is that i have been places that there is law enforcement checking ids but did not care at all that you were riding double....It is my choice..i know it is on safe and anything could happen...but i also could get hit on the road walking to..

Old 09-10-2003, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

And by the way i can ride double on a motorcycle doing 65 and not wearing a helmet and that is ok...nobody gripes about that....but you are going to give me grief about that....I guess are choices are just different. Besides that is not what i asked for on this forum

Old 09-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have no problem with people who scream about all this "it's my right" crap..........as long as they have enough discretionary income to find someone stupid enough to insure/cover them for the rest of their lives when their little daughter has to give up her "sippee cup" to feed Daddy.

Yet these people don't seem to think it should work that way..........no more insurance coverage than anyone else.........and its the general public's responsibility to make sure their butt gets wiped and that they have a computer they can work by blowing through a straw (and please take care of my "family" while you're at it).

You won't find anybody much more ignorant and selfish than a guy who throws somebody on the back of his rig and tells them everything will be "o.k."..........and when something happens to that significant other?............he sure as hell doesn't want people pointing fingers at HIM; for what he tries desperately to point to as a simple "act of God". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Backseatrider2
I agree with that...I could get hurt any time...You can get hurt on your own to...I agree that it is my choice if i want to ride double or not...and if it is so illegal then why is that i have been places that there is law enforcement checking ids but did not care at all that you were riding double....It is my choice..i know it is on safe and anything could happen...but i also could get hit on the road walking to..
The difference is that walking is not clearly illegal.

I said this before in this thread (http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/354525.cfm) and I'll say it again here. If a cop saw you riding double and didn't give you a ticket, how does that mean that it's legal or ok? I've seen people blow stop signs and red lights in front of cops and they didn't pull them over. By your logic, it is then legal to run red lights and stop signs? I think he was either being tolerant or he was too lazy to write you up. Just because nobody "gripes about it", that doesn't mean it's legal. Ignorance is never an excuse for disobeying the law.

And in response to your other post, I don't own or know anyone who owns a motorcycle. I know nothing about motorcycle laws so I won't discuss it.

New York State laws regarding ATV use are located here:
http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c29.htm

Under the heading "YOU MAY NEVER OPERATE AN ATV:" the first 2 bullets are "Other than while seated on the permanent, regular seat." and "With a passenger, unless the ATV is designed to carry a passenger."

The law is clear and I doubt that the statement "YOU MAY NEVER OPERATE AN ATV With a passenger, unless the ATV is designed to carry a passenger." is open to any interpretation.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am done with the whole thing...you guys have your opinions i have mine...I live in Ohio where it is legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet down the highway. What ever...this is not why i made this forum any how...you have your opinion I have mine and there not the same...so we need to get over it..

Quick Reply: Where I can ride double and have fun