Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tug Hill (Lewis County) in Jeopardy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tug Hill (Lewis County) in Jeopardy

Christopher- thanks for getting back to us on this.I was sent some contact peoples names and numbers/addresses to send a letter to to voice our concerns on this issue.1 of them is in the Lewis County Chamber of Commerce and the other is a fella on one of the governing councils.I also got a e mail from the lady who runs Trailpass.I will be happy to either send or post these names and contact numbers/addresses so we may all voice our concerns on this issue.Another site you could post the results of these meetings is www.tughillinfo.com. This website deals strictly with the Tughill area.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys for the feedback. The last two meetings are tonight 9-16 and 9-17. I am not sure what kind of time frame is allowed for a decision but from what I heard this week from a local dealer that this same kind of format happend last year and nothing became of it. As Pete mentioned going on tughill info. com may keep us informed.

JB. The best place to look for places to ride is to contact any of the clubs in your area. I have made some calls and people are very friendly. The individual for trial pass is named Lee Ann 1-800-381-2260. She is located in Queensbury which is by Saratoga.

I will make some calls next week to see what kind of progress is being made in this important decision.

Once again I encourage everyone to take a trip up to the hill in the next month. The leaves will be turning real soon and the fresh air is incredible. Oh yo don't forget your jackets it gets cold up there even if its 70.

Chris

Old 09-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info Chris. Do you happen to know what insurance company offers the lowest atv rates. I was just quoted $111.00 a year for just liability. Full coverage for my 660 grizz and 350 warrior was $450.00 a year. Does that sound right? Do I need insurance to ride tug hill?

JB

Old 09-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

Grizzride- on the insurance issue I have Nationwide and for my 03 500HO Polaris Sportsman I pay $104 a year with full coverage and liability.If you ride off your own property I am pretty sure NY state requires insurance-at least liability.Around here ( Niagara falls) area the cops-Sheriffs-troopers have ben having atv blitzs because of the numerous complaints from property owners that they now have their own fleet of atvs to chase the badguys down.The first thing they want to see is your registration and insurance card and if not your quads hauled away on a rolldeck truck and impounded.My UPS drivers son was just caught on one of these blitzs and it cost his Mom and Dad $300 in fines plus the $65 impound fee!! So if I were you I would have the insurance to save the hassles.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

PolarisPete posted this on the tughill.info forum: OK everyone here are the 2 names to fire off a letter to voicing your concerns over this very important issue at stake. Mr. Gary W. Hamburg from the Lewis County Chamber of Commerce sent me these 2 names. I just got finished wring a short letter to each of them. JOHN MCHUGH-- COUNTY PLANNER--7660 STATE STREET --LOWVILLE NY 13367. The next is: GARY ROSICZKOWSKI- LEGISLATOR--CHAIRMAN OF THE COUNTY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE-- COUNTY OF LEWIS--5066 LEE ROAD-- TURIN NY 13473 Lets all send these 2 some letters and try to spread the word and these addresses around so this does not happen. Keep us all posted on this. Pete

Please everyone who rides Tug Hill, take the time to write a short and "to-the-point" letter to these representatives and let our case be heard loud and clear! *Winter Rules*

Old 09-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

WinterRules- thanks for posting this.I was going to post these nam and contact addresses this evening after doing the Tughill Info one but got sidetracked on the same issue-trail closure for atvs up in Ontario.Seems we are not the only ones with this growing problem. Got to put a lot of this problem on the state of NY also. What are they doing with the $$ they have been collecting for years?? At least the $$ for the snowmobiles come back to us somewhat in the form of groomed trails.NY has many millions of unused acres of land and who uses it?? Hikers-bike riders- horseback riders!! Whens the last time you saw a horseback rider at the NY DMV getting his horse registered??? Ny has to step in here somewheres and help to provide us some legal trails to ride. This new TRAILPASS thing is looking better all the time.Hope they can expand their lands somewhat in the future. Hopefully Chris can keep us updated on the final outcome of these meetings as they happen.

Old 09-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

pete,

thanks for the info. i will look into nationwide.

to all,

maybe we should schedule a massive atv ride at tug hill soon to show our support for the people fighting the good fight.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Trailblazer

Grizzride, that's not a bad idea! Anybody have any suggestions when it should be? Did anybody go to the last two meetings? If so, what went on there? Thanks. *Winter Rules*

Old 09-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

Folks; I was up on Tug HIll riding this weekend and happened to notice one of the local papers and an articl regarding the ATV/Snowmobiel issue. THe parties all admitted that something has to happen to control the sport a bit better in the area. Some of the complaints were that there were no trails, the bikes are to loud, to fast and that property was being torn up (mud bogging a big issue) Some suggestions were to only let ATV's up there from June on, more law enforcement (which they do need) and some kind of noice ordinanace. What is strange is that the articel mentioend that most of the complaints in the community were not by individuals who owned homes on a paved road, which makes no sense ot me since most of the seasonal roads have no houses on them.

One positive note to the ATV community is that they are not agianst us, they also said that something needs to be done aboutn the boaters and hikers, I guess that is good to hear

This past weekend I must have seen 250 + quads on the hill. That is the most I have ever seen, I met some guys form Buffalo who for some was there first time up there, and they loved it, They can't wait to come back up.

I will try to get a hold of some infotmation that is being published in the report that the commission is creating and let everyone know what is next.

Chris