Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Tug Hill (Lewis County) in Jeopardy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tug Hill (Lewis County) in Jeopardy

Well I thought this would never be a topic that I would be posting. I live a bit North of Utica NY and have been riding on Tug Hill in Lewis county for tha past 8 or so years. For those of you who are not familair to the Tug Hill region, this area until trail pass was developed, is one of the few places that you can legally ride in NY state. I was riding up there this past weekend and heard some disturbing news. The county is contemplating about closign down the county for ATV use. There are 3 meetings that will taking place, one this Wednesday to start the process. It has even got to the point where one of the judges in the county recommend that snowmobiles be banned also. Without these two sports in Norhthern NY the state might as well just shut everything down. I am not sure how this will end up but will let people know more as I return from the meeting Wednesday.

Chris

Old 09-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Range Rover

I don't ride up there, but this is BAD news nevertheless. Please post meeting details so that people can go and speak up! Also post this to www.nyriders.com.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

Christopher, thanks a lot for posting this! I encourage anybody who has ridden Tug Hill to try to make it to the meeting to help show our support of the trails. Christopher, please let us know what's up after the meeting! Thanks. *Winter Rules*

Old 09-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

How did it go?

Old 09-13-2003, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

Just wondering on a matter so important as this why no one else from the Tughill area has posted this on any other forums and Chris--what was the result of the meeting?

Old 09-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

Well, my father went to the meeting and said that there were a whole bunch of ATV'ers there. Supposedly, we outnumbered anybody else by quite a bit. I'm guessing the reason it's not more of a popular topic is because there are two more meetings scheduled for the near future. A general concensus seemed to be that there needs to be more "trails" rather than open roads. To me, that would be even better than what we have now. I guess time will tell what happens. Until that time comes...show your support for continued legal ATV riding! *Winter Rules*

Old 09-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

WINTERRULES- thanks for this info.It would be a real shame to shut the Tughill down as its a very nice place to ride both sleds and atvs.It would also devastate some of the businesses that cater to the riders but some of the politicians can't see too far in front of their faces anyways.Im glad to hear there were alot of riders there.Is there a place or address we can call or write to to try and help out the cause?? If so maybe you could post it. I can't believe that with so many riders who use the Tughill area from all over the country that there are only 5 posts on this forum regarding this!! I posted this on another forum and never got a single reply. Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry folks that I took so long to get back. The meeting agenda was not as I thought while reading some of the initial comments. instead of being a bitch session the meeting was just the opposite. The Tug HIll commission was present along with some of the county officials. They really didn't have much to say so the two hour meeting was primarily held by the individuals who attended. The primary concern was how to obtain better control of the sport of ATVing in Lewis County, not to shut it down completely. As trailblazer mentioned one fo the concerns was the lack of trails. IF this was present alot of the other problems would not be, but since most of Tug hill is state owned there lays the issue. Some of the other issues were as follows;

Childeren under age not respecting landowners and the community
Riding at all times of the night (noice)
No trails, just roads
Speed
Tearing up the sides of roads.

From what I gathered the problems appears to be amonst the local ATVERS, not out of towners, wWhich most of us happen to be. Representitives from such places as Montague and the Edge Hotel strengthened the rigts of ATVERs and there importance to the community. Of the 18 or so people who spoke there minds mostly all were positive. I'd have to guess that there were about 130 people in attendance, some came from as far south as Binghampton. There was also a representative from Trail Pass who gave a presentation on here feelings and the magnitude of ATVers presense on the economy in Lewis COunty.

There are two meetings this week (Tuesday and Wednesday) and at that time a report will be written on the direction that we go to from here.

For those of you who plan on going to the hill and Brantingham, wait about 2 to 3 more weeks and the view will be inceredible.

PS: I recommend getting there before hunting season.

Chris

Old 09-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I am glad to hear there were that many in attendence.If the county were smart they would put more pressure on the state to open up some of the state land.Thanks for posting this.It would be a good idea in the future to post things like this on the NY Riders forum you may get alot more people responding to it,possibly more people at the meetings too.

Vince

Old 09-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I'm in the process of relocating to the Syracuse area and my wife and I love to ride. One of the first things I have planed to do is ride Tug Hill. Let me know when the next town meeting will be held. They, "politicians" and the law want us to ride responsibly but they continue to ake our trails away. Its getting to the point were you cant leave the house. On another note, does any one know of trails near Syracuse NY or Port Byron NY?

JB

Quick Reply: Tug Hill (Lewis County) in Jeopardy