Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hillsville - PA/OH ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hillsville - PA/OH ????

Anyone know if the riding area in Hillsville is open again? I rode there a few years ago, but I heard it was shut down any new info?

DS650rules

Wellsville, Ohio -- Heaven on earth!!!

Old 09-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

It is shut down, has been for a few years now... The Pa game commision is patrolling it..

Old 09-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey DS650rules, I just got my November Dirt Wheels and in the Letters section there is mention of a riding place in the Akron/Canton area called bearcreek. Do you know of this place and how is the riding,Thanks

Old 09-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4TRAXIN,

I live in Canton and have been to Bear Creek many times. The riding there is good, I always thought they could use a few more trails. But most people I've talked with enjoyed it a lot. I haven't been there since the Spring, but I've heard they took a bulldozer through the woods and ran some new trails.

Also, in the Canton area there's also Elson St. Riding Park. It has a lot of trails and is also a good place to ride. However, some of their trails are pretty tough and I would recommend that anyone lacking good riding skills learn to ride somewhere else before attempting Elson St.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I used to live in the Cleveland area a few years back and I used to ride at Bear Creek untill 1 week I was literally taken off my quad while I was clipping along in 3rd gear by a cable that somone had strung up between 2 trees, chest high, right across the trail.
'Bout 3 weeks later, was riding there again along the power lines when we were met by 2 men with shot guns and were told to turn back and leave.
Hope the peolple have gotten friendlier.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 4traxin,

Sorry it took me a few days to write back......been busy with work. Well I have rode since I was 6 yrs old (I am 29 now) and as far as I am concerned I wouldn't drive that far for Bearcreek. It is up to you, but first of all, you gotta pay to ride there, and it is not all that big so you will cover the trails in a matter of hours. Second I don't know what kinda of riding you are into but the group I ride with is into climbing alot of hills and where we ride makes bearcreek look like a backyard by comparison. Again I don't know your riding ability or interest..............this is simply my opinion. I don't think it is all that great. I ride in Wellsville which is down on the ohio river near east liverpool and lisbon area, and if you are gonna drive to canton you might as well drive the extra 45 min to an hour and ride wellsville. There are thousands of acres there, and if you are gonna pay to ride somewhere it might as well rock. Elson street is another back yard as far as I am concerned.........the hills there are really small and I got bored pretty quick. "mudding" is not my idea of "riding hard". Climbing up inclines that are to steep to walk up, and riding half throttle and above in 4th gear through the tightest of trails...........now that is what I'm talkin about. Again it is all a matter of what your into I guess. Bad thing about what we do, is if you screw up, your bike is getting damaged........badly...........like end over end 6 or 8 times down a rock face that goes down 60 feet. Wellsville has something for everyone............there are trails that are made with a bulldozer, there are trails that are so rocky that you need 4-wheels drive, there are mud-pits if you are into that sort of thing, if it can be done wellsville has it. You will see everything you can imagine, and some things you can't down there. 3 & 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, jeeps, trucks, samurai's home made machines, rail buggies you name it, and it is there. I can't say enough good stuff about it. I have rode there for years now, and still I see new trails sometimes that I have not seen before.
If you are interested in checking it out, let me know and I can give you directions to get there...........you wouldn't be dissappointed.......I'm sure of that. Take care!!!

Old 10-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

I'm from Canton also, and I would really like to get down to Wellsville one of these weekends. Could you please send some directions from Canton to there. How long does it take, and what's the cost? Also, Elson St. isn't too bad. It's about the only good riding area around Canton that you can load up and spend a few hours at and come home without using the whole day. Unless you know of someplace else close to Canton?

Old 10-05-2003, 03:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Truckpaul,

Wellsville is only 45 minutes to an hour from canton, and yes there are plenty of riding spots that aren't too awful far from canton that are way better than elson st. and alot of them are free. I have sort of a biased opinion on paying to ride somewhere..........because I know quite a few places that are good to ride and they are free. I pay yearly for a campsite at wellsville, but that place is absolutely the best riding you will find anywhere around this part of the country.....so I don't mind paying to ride there cuz it rocks. After you ride wellsville once, you will see why I said that elson is kinda boring. If I lived beside elson and could ride my quad there from my house (and it was free) I mean yeah I would take a couple hours and ride just to be on my quad, but never would I pay to ride there. There are tons of places to ride like minerva, malvern, waynesburg, kensington, east canton, magnolia, strausburg, new phil, dover, bolivar.............list goes on. You just gotta know the right people I guess. I will be happy to help you get to wellsville, give me an email address and I will email you the directions. You do have to pay to ride there but it is only like 8 bucks, and worth every penny. Take it easy.

DS650rules

Old 10-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, i sent you a private message with my email on it. I'm sure many other people on the thread would love to have directions to some of those other places you can ride. As long as they're not private property it would be great if you could list some directions to a couple of those places. Also, have you ever been up to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan? That place is freaking awesome. Someone once told me their was a place to do some sand duning around Northern Ohio, but i've never found out where or what it is, do you and anyone else on this thread have any idea what that person was talking about?

Old 10-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey DS650rules, sorry it toke so long to reply been working long hours also. Thanks for the info on bearcreek and to the other guys for elson st. riding areas. I would like driving directions to both if you don't mind. It might be a good half-day trip to take some people who are new to the sport. I would be coming from Sandusky, Ohio area.

By the way, DS, athough I havn't been to wellsville in over 4 years I have been thier many time with quads and started going thier with jeeps and trucks. You are so right about Wellsville being awsome. I might just have to get down there this year yet, anything I should know before I go? Whats new down there?

Quick Reply: Hillsville - PA/OH ????