Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Sport quads own the trail at Wayne National Forest

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport quads own the trail at Wayne National Forest

Originally posted by: muddyashell

They need to set the rules for their riders and enforce them.
Let me know when you get your double yellow line painter for the back of your UTE so we dont have to rely on peoples common sense.. Damn sport quads are gonna ruin it for everyone!!

Old 10-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is all about safety and definitely not an "I hate sport bikes" post.
Hell, some of my best friends are sport bikers.
I thought the thread title would get the attention of some of the guys who need to read this.
The only generalization I'm making is about inconsiderate riders causing needlessly dangerous situations.
I don't believe in speed limits and have no desire to paint any double yellow lines.
I just want these backward hat wearing punks to start thinking about somebody besides themselves.
Haul *** when nobody is near you and slow down when there is.

I'm glad a guy like reconranger can afford to own 9 ATV's and lets his 13 year old daughter ride a 400EX.
You have a pretty skewed viewpoint on what a "serious rider" is recon.
I was doing this before there was such a thing as a sport bike.
I'm glad everyone survived your encounter with the kid on the dirt bike.

Warrior007 said "Damn sport quads are gonna ruin it for everyone!!"???????
The damn idiots are gonna ruin it for everyone!!
They're real easy to spot.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Muddyashell, i would say that the trails are meant for anyone involved in the sport. not just for mommy,daddy, and the kids. not all parents are very responsible in watching that there kids are riding corteously and safely, sure 90% are but the other 10% aren't, which brings me to,watch out for everyone else as well as yourself. just like when you are driving your car or truck, try to antisipate the others move.

I'm sure in a perfect world Wayne Nat'l would have a card swipe for your golden buckeye card so the backward hat wearing punks would not ride their sport quads. But last time i looked it is still called Wayne National Forest and not Muddyashell's happy land.

Old 10-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

To get back to the point of "idiots down at Wayne."
I've been there one time and was impressed at the way in which my buddies taught me to use signals as we passed people. For instance if you're running in a group of 4 and you are the 2nd bike, when you come up on a group running the opposite way you'll hold up 2 fingers signaling that there are 2 more behind you. Thus the 3rd rider will hold up 1 finger telling you that there is one more behind him. Then the last man in the group will be holding up a closed fist telling you that he's the last man in the group. Cool little system! I don't know how many times we came through groups and I'd flash 2 fingers at some ***** w/ no brainbucket on and bloodshot eyes and he'd just wave and give me the "peace sign" back as if I was saying peace brother... Numnutz! Anyways my 2 pennies....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muddy-Just for the record, my 13 year old daughter has been riding since she was old enough to throw a leg over a Zinger. She's a BIG kid and passes for much older. A 400EX is well within her capabilities. She will be inheriting my "old" Z400 any day now. And, the only person who wears more safety gear than her, is me! On the other hand, my son who is 10 is not a big kid, so it will be several years before he can graduate to the 250's (where my daughter was riding the Recon at age 8). If a kid is capable, don't hold them back just because of some arbitrary age limits!!

Public land belongs to everybody, and we all just have to look out for each other.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Personally I think the trails at Wayne are for the most part ridden by very courteous people. It's definitely a small minority that blow by you when you are stopped and like Perwho said it's the only place I've been too, that actually uses a signal system to let others know how many are in your group.

I definitely like to ride exceeding recommended TPM but I also am planning ahead for blind corners and others coming towards me.

It doesn't matter what kind of quad the person is on, it's still up to individual on how it is operated.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah.... can't we all just get along?

Old 10-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Muddyashell

I too ride with trx450 and Buckeye and we ride with a mix of sport and utility machines down at Wayne. We consider our group to be fairly considerate when out on the trails. We use the hand signals and slow down when passing other riders. The problems that I have personally encountered on the trails are not limited to one particular group. I have had near misses from inconsiderate utility machines, sport bikes, and dirt bikes. I have had the closest near misses with dirt bikes. This doesn't make all dirt bike riders bad, just the two idiots that were racing side by side on the trails that about hit me head on. Don't generallize all riders of a particular machine as being a bad group. There are idiots in every group. We just try not to let them ruin our experience.

With that said, we all make mistakes. I had an incident this year where I accidently splashed some water on a guy on a 400ex that was riding with a 1 year old kid (whole separate topic there). The guy caught up with us and I appoligized for the incident. That isn't my style to do that and I felt bad for doing it.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Gee whiz. Ute riders aren't "serious"? Yellow lines? "... I plowed over a holier than though dirtbiker..."? No wonder people die on the trails. You might remember that the government banned 3 wheelers from being built and sold over too many people getting killed. It isn't bad machines that kill people. It isn't even the bad attitudes. It's stupidity. If you exceed the TPM ratio for too long bad things are going to happen eventually.

I ride the trails in the Wayne pretty often. I ride the southern systems and there are a few numbskulls out there too. I had a guy on a dirtbike come around a blind curve doing 50 or so when I first started riding there. He barely had time to scrub off some speed and edge over enough to fly past me. Sooner or later that guy is going to hurt someone. Another day I had my quad parked on the side of the trail and was off it looking at the scenery when some guy on a ute side swipped it as he flew by. There are plenty of times you can haul it around the trails. Saturday afternoon in September when it's 75 degrees going around a blind curve isn't one of them.

If you want to fly just make sure the only one taking a risk is you. That's only fair. If not we're going to see the no-good do-gooders ruin it all for every single one of us. We get enough bad press as it is. All it's going to take is a few sensational flame outs where some drunk on a crotch rocket wipes out some idiot piggy-backing his two year old kid on the gas tank. We can't expect the government to stay off our backs if we act irresponsibly.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

KG, I agree... there's way too much bad press. Seems like that's the "only" press. Rarely hear things that are positive.

By the way, your sig cracks me up!!

Old 10-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can't take credit for that sig Buckeye. It comes from "The Hillbilly Poem" which was written by a member of the hillbilly rock group, Goose Creek Symphony. Those guys are so good it's amazing. Great lyrics. Incredibly talented musicians. Best attitude going. That poem is just a sample of the stuff they do. Here's another tidbit from their lyrics that I like.

Took a little trip just a few days ago
Out to Hollywood where the corn won't grow.
Too many people and they're really uptight.
If they'd get their $__t togehter they'd be alright.

Here's another good one. This is from back in the seventies so try to overlook the stupidity in this one. We were all on the wrong train back then. They've come a long way like the rest of us. Still it's some really clever stuff IMO.

More sin killing and a robbin'
They say that the world is one big problem.
I got one and I tell you now
I can't find my gurnsey cow.
Now I didn't write no constitution
But I got one good soloution
Drink a little wine, smoke a lot of boo
Sit on the back porch and pick a little blues.

I can email you an mp3 of the song that contains the Hillbilly Poem if you're interested. Best sax solo I've ever heard in that song. Email me at good_timecharlie@HotPOP.com if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Sport quads own the trail at Wayne National Forest