Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

riding at windy point, Palm Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 01:37 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default riding at windy point, Palm Springs?

Hope we don't miss you. This will have to be a quick trip for us, because I have to help somebody move (they need my trailer) in the late afternoon.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we got back an hour ago from windy point. Wiley, I (or we) found the big sand hill. Reconranger and i first tried it. I made it every time on the V without the paddles. On one run on the right side (the steep one) I made to the top of that trail then to main trail and tried to continue up but couldn't. I backed down in reverse....fun. Reconranger didn't make it at first but aired down a bit and made it on his 400ex. That is a soft hillclimb. Jeff made it out and we headed to the hill again. He couldn't quite make it. Needs new rear tires and then will make it. I want to go back soon!

Old 01-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Red Rider

It was like old times! I had not been out there for years, and it was so long ago that my son didn't even remember the place. I love ripping around the bushes on the sandy trails. Had a great time!

Old 01-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Recon and Happy,
That was a great ride guys. I spoke to Wiley shortly after I got home. He worked a big ugly fatal crash last night and didn't get home till 5 in the morning. Needless to say, he didn't go on his ride today. Wiley's planning on doing a day trip to Ocotillo on the 19th and pretty much got me talked into going with him, so Recon I guess I'll see you then. I think I'll swipe my daughter's spidertracs next time I try Wiley Hill.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

Do you know if RV's are allowed to overnight there?

Old 01-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Red Rider

I'm not entirely sure it is actually a legal riding area. There are however some "closed riding area" signs on the east end. So, if inside the signs is closed, outside the signs has to be open, right???? In every encounter that I have had with Riverside County Sheriffs, they have always told me that "there are no legal riding areas in Riverside County". That seems to be their mantra.

I would say that the best approach at this area is to be as stealthy and low profile as possible! It's close enough to Corona for a nice day ride.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

We wanted to try something different (and close) this weekend - no luck! As we were turning onto Snow Creek Rd., some old lady was already wagging her finger at us and said, "There's no riding here, it's private property". And no one was there or anywhere else around there. We stopped and asked a few people and they told us where to go in the area, but "No off-roading" signs were everywhere and not a soul in site. We even figured we'd stop in Beaumont to ride, but they have that gated shut too! We wasted 1/2 a day driving around and wound up never getting to ride.

We were in a state of disbelief that in the middle of the f***ing desert, where you're not bothering anyone or anything, there was NO WHERE to ride!! What a cryin' shame! What's the state of CA coming to??

Old 04-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Red Rider

See my post below. Actually, the land isn't properly posted, so while a landowner could ask you to leave, it would be impossible for them to prosecute you in any way. I doubt the little old lady who wagged her finger at you is the actual landowner, so you could probably have simply ignored her. At worst, she could call the Sheriff, who would ask you to leave. Hey, probably could get in a couple of hours riding before they showed up! To hot to ride out there anyway.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...=windy%20point

I spent my youth riding the hills between Riverside and Corona. Now it is shopping centers, business parks, and houses. Going to have to move soon!!!

I would suggest trying the San Bernardino Mtns. A lot of trails are closed due to the fires, but there is still enough open to make it worth a trip.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Range Rover

Thanks! We ride mostly at El Mirage, Gorman, Ocotillo Wells and even Azuza Canyon now and then (but they're too expensive). There's also a place (very close to us) off the 15 fwy at Weirick Rd. exit where we ride sometimes (there's running streams there all the time too), but you never know when that's open because it's a "kind of" legal place. Sometimes the cops won't do anything and let people ride there and other times they're kicking everyone out. There's always a lot of people there. I've found I don't like the crap shoot and would rather ride where I know it's legal.

So there's good riding in San B. mountains? You mean in the Big Bear area? I've heard there's some nice places up there and we've been wanting to check them out soon. Do you know exactly where? Sounds like it would be a little "cooler" up there in the summer. We always take our motor home so at least we have a/c so we can handle being out in the hotter places - couldn't do it without the RV.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

There is also some riding near Canyon lake/ Quail Valley area. Kinda rocky, but fun.
Johnson Valley is also pretty good, they have a dry lake bed and some sand dunes.
Cactus Flats is behind Big Bear Lake, and it is pretty good.

Quick Reply: riding at windy point, Palm Springs?