Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Riding in south jersey

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in south jersey

where are some places to ride in south jersey. Im around franklinville.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Good luck! You can probably find somewhere to ride, but dont get caught!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

Have you tried Ft Mott or the DOD? They are both dredge facilities along the deleware river.

The place we call Ft Mott is actually just north of Ft Mott State Park along the Deleware River. That's south of the Deleware Memorial Bridge by 5 miles maybe.

The other spot who's only name I've ever heard is "the DOD". Rumer says it once belonged to the dept of defence. I don't have a clue. Its along Rt 130 half way between the Deleware Mem Bridge and the Comm Barry Bridge.

Both properties are dredge pits along the deleware river. Each are abour 2.5 square miles. Stay on the trails. When they dredge, you can't ride in those areas for about a year but there are plenty of roads and trails there anyways. Be cautious. Sometimes they will tear up a common trail because they have to lay a new pipe or they decide water has to drain this way from now on. Whatever... just realize that obstacles can appear on your favorite trail over night.

As to security, usually it seems like the police don't care if we ride there. I saw a police officer at the Ft Mott location once in late 2002 takking names and saying "you know you're not supposed to be here". And that was it. I never heard another thing about it. Once I heard a story by a fisherman at the DOD saying "oh, just last week the police were out here impounding ATVs". I think this was just BS because the fisherman don't want to share the river beaches with us. No ATV rider has ever told me about being spoken too by the police at that location.

I will add that sometimes, the DOD is closed. If I find the entrances blocked I go somewhere else. I have never fount Ft Mott closed. I don't do alot of riding at this time of year because I like splashing thru all the water and mud. But if you're looking for someone to ride with sometime, send me an email.

robert_fowler@yahoo.com