Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Heading Out to the Paiute Trail-Need Local Advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geading Out to the Paiute Trail-Need Local Advise

Next summer, during the month of August, myself and a bunch of friends are planning a trip out west to experience the Paiute Trail in Utah. We would like to ride for at least three consecutive days and would like to see at least the 300 mile "outer loop" during that time if at all possible. We are all experienced riders and enjoy riding a little faster than most of the other folks we encounter on the local trails or have ridden with. Because of this, we would like to travel as light as possible (fuel cells are a necessity as will be all of the basic emergency trail gear, plus some food, water and extra clothing) but would like to avoid carrying all of the extra stuff which would be necessary to camp on the trail: Sleeping bags, Tents, Cookstoves, LOTS of food and beverages, etc.)

Here is where some advice or coaching from some of the local Utah riders or folks who have done what we are considering will be essential: Is it possible to stop at a different city/town/outpost, etc. each evening; someplace which has provisions for a hot shower, a cold beer, a good meal, and a clean bed, plus be able to fill up the gas tanks before heading out the next day?

I have already purchased trails maps, topo guides, GPS charts and everything that I can find for the area. In the research which I have done, it looks like the ONLY towns in the area which have hotels/motels are Salina and Richfield. From what I can see, none of the little towns on the southern half of the trail (Koosharem, Joseph, Monroe, Meadow, and Konosh) have anything in the way of any kind of lodging.

Don't get me wrong: We're not looking for anything fancy; just a place to fill our belly's, wash our pits and lay our weary heads for the night. I guess if we could find the kind of place we are looking for, with easy on/easy off trail access, we could even return to it for two or even three nights, but that would really hamper our plans to see the entire trail.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading Out to the Paiute Trail-Need Local Advise

You have got the best info on the area. Ritchfield is where we stay, it is the biggest city and the friendliest to atvers. It is the hub of atving in that area.
One thing you must be advised of. DUST. It is usually dry there and when it is the dust is a major riding problem. Many riders use paper painters masks held on by a rubber band.These work depending on the shape of your face and if u have any facial hair. The otger trick is a large bandanna worn like a robbers mask, just below eye level and covering your nose and mouth. It must be large enough to be tied securely and not cause u problems while riding at speed.Take more than one. I f there are a lot of riders the stores may be sold out.Hope that it rains before u get there.
Be advised there are many good trails that do not connect to the Paiute system. We were there during Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree in Sept and were advised by several folks that the Paiute Trail System was mostly like county roads. While we actually only rode on it for a short few miles... it was very tame.
A LOT of people ride this area at times, from 6 to 85 yo. If you are planning on riding fast... use extreme caution on blind corners. We were told by a guide that a kid came around a corner tooooo fast, lost control and drashed into another kid just sitting on his quad looking down over a cliff. The crash knocked kid and quad over the edge to his death.
Watch out for wildlife... there is a lot of it including cows... can mess up your day. Unless you can see a long way and there are no side trail interections ride reasonably sane... u never know who or what is around the corners up there... no 911.
Calculate your gas consumption closely before u get there. U will have to carry extra. I ride a P650 also. We learned the hard way what dust can do to an expensive camera. Take cheap throwaways and have the pics put on cd later. In Sept it was below 25 one morning and over 75 a coupla days.
Ride Safe, Ride Fun, Ride Quiet
Sarge
President
Quad Texas ATV Club