Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

what is the fine??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the fine??

OK, so like a block from my house there is this (horse trail) it goes on for a few miles actually (which is suprising as I live in the valley (just north of Los Angeles).. So I roll my quad up to it.. and it says no vehicles aloud (so I think well I'm not a truck or anything (I know a stretch) Anyway, I roll to the end of the trail of the first section A city park van kinda rolls by... slows down... but doesn't stop.. Now I'm certain I shouldn't be riding my atv on that trail, but it's SO close... Does anyone know what the fine is for doing such an activity?? LoL

Old 02-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try calling your local sheriff. People using trails closed to ATVs cause a lot of local discontent and make it harder on all of us. Just gives the enviro terrorists more ammunition.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think PolarisCat hit the nail on the head. Not that I've never done something like this, but here you're not just talking about the average hiking trail. You're talking about an equestrian trail near Los Angeles. What's the difference? If someone who lives in the Los Angeles area has horses, then they ain't some poor, tie-died, Burkenstock wearing bird watchers. These people will freak out when they see a quad on "their" trail.

Not only do you risk being cited, but you also risk having your quad impounded. Then, you'll have to go to whatever agency impounded it, get a release, then go to the tow company, and pay for the tow and storage fees. This is a worse-case-scenario, but one that is possible, and I've seen it done. Plus, it gives the rest of us a black eye in the court of public opinion.

If it were here in San Bernardino County, the total fine and impound costs would be about $300. There's some great places to ride that aren't that far away. Keep an eye out for this part of the forum. Several of us often get together, and you're welcome to join us.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the impound fee's. Sometimes/Often they will impound the vechicle for a certain amount of time. Say 30 days mandatory impound, at $75 per day. Do the math! If you do get it back you won't want it cause the impound yard guys will have trashed it.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

30 day impounds only occur when someone is driving on a suspended license (CVC 14602.6). Storage fees are generally $25 a day. They're actually limited on how high they can charge per day. The type of impound we're talking about here is either for a highway registration violation (taking a green sticker vehicle onto a roadway), or if the person is physically arrested.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Also keep in mind that if this is a horse trail and you would happen to surprise a rider and spook the horse you could have a h3ll of a lawsuit on your hands if they get injured. Fines and such could be the least of your worries...

Old 02-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

ok, I'll do us all a favor and not ride there.. even though it pissed me off that I can see it from my house :S ... and of course I saw 0 horses on it... they don't even let bicycles on it... crazy :S Anyway, thanks for the opinions.. Guess I should get a job with the fire department... then I could volunteer and check it for fire hazards [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] muhahah ok i'm dreaming there... later

Old 02-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer

joing your firedepartment is a great idea, there are many apps for the atv in the fire service, we have a 6 wheeler with a 200 gallon tank and a pump, and i have a trailer that has 2 mounted 55 gallon drums with a trash pump and swinging booms front and back to put out gras fires, this trailer is also out fited to carry a stokes streacher incase of a rider of an atv/snowmobile gets hurt we can go in and get them (i have a ski set up for the trailer too