Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

WindRock

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WindRock

Me and my buddy are going to head down to Tennesse next week to ride at Windrock and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I can expect there or any other info that might be useful?

Old 03-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Range Rover
Default WindRock

Haven't been there yet either but there are lots of threads about it. Do a search for Wind Rock or Coal Creek and you should find lots of info on it. Also windrockatv.com is a great resource for this area.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default WindRock

windrockatv.com
Bring a tow rope with you and tire plugs.

Kevin

Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default WindRock

Went for the first time in January. Due to complications with a buddy's 1 year old truck breaking on the way down our riding time was cut short because I had to shuttle trailers. Even so we all thought it was a great place to ride and will be going back soon. The trails ranged from the easiest I've ever seen to the hardest I've ever seen. The maps were pretty good. Watch for work trucks coming down the gravel trails. One guy had to adjust his carb when we got up high. I don't think I would even ride the medium trails without 4x4 and a winch.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

Whaddya want to know? I gave up riding in Michigan because of Windrock, so I caution you about going there. It is HIGHLY addictive. We went down there for the first time in March 02. I've been 21 times and have ridden over 5000 miles there. So, as you can see....great place to ride.

It is far different than riding here. The challenges are far greater than anything round these parts. I ride a Predator, so your machine will do ok there. You won't get a chance to wind it out to often. You can on a couple of the gravel roads, but that's not where the fun is.

Windrock is very rocky. It never bothered me much, I'd much rather the rocks than the whoops. There is everything from gravel roads to extreme riding. Get yourself a map of the place. The trails are marked pretty good. The ones on the other side of the highway aren't marked as well, they've had problems with the locals tearing down the signs. There is plenty of riding on the parking lot side of Windrock, but I think the views are better on the other side. Panther Bluff or Indian Bluff, depends on who you ask what it's called, is on the other side and offers an awesome view. The flats is a good place to go, but it's a most of the day trip, especially if you don't know the place. You can go there and look down on I-75 from there. It's almost 30 miles from the parking lot, so take some spare gas.

STAY OFF TRAIL 14!!! It's near the parking lot, and if you go in from the bottom, you'll know you can't make it up. But, from the top, you probably won't know you're screwed until it's too late. I'd recommend trails 1,2,3,4,6,8,9,10,13,20, and 22 to start with. Trails 12,16 and 18 are popular, but can be a handful if it's muddy. If you ride 16, ride it going out away from the lot, it's easier to do on a sport quad. Trail 12 is a great trail, but very rocky and a tough ride. But it crosses the creek a million times and is very beautiful.

Depending on how long you are staying, you can buy daily permits or a yearly for 50 bucks. We always opt for the yearly. The doubletree in Oak Ridge is a good hotel, and you can buy permits and maps there. The hotel is around 5 miles from where you ride. You can stay in the parking lot at the base of the mountain, but it is primitive camping. There is no water or electricity.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask....Scott

Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Range Rover
Default WindRock

Scott,You say like some destinations are like 30 miles from the parking lot.Is there any place to get gas on the way or should we invest in a 6 pack rack.Thanks for all the info.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WindRock

You'll see deer, you'll see rabbits, you'll see wild turkeys. If you go further up north on the trails (beyond the flats) you'll likely see some elk. What you will not see is a gas station. No way, not gonna happen. Bring plenty of gas.

Jaybee

Old 03-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

It wouldn't be a bad investment to buy something like that. There is a gas station, but it's not really all that accesible to the riding area. It's quite a few miles down a paved road, and you're not really supposed to be riding on it. It's also quite a ways off Coal Creek property. So, I wouldn't count on using it.

Alot depends on how and where you ride. If you are just going to stay on the south side of the area, you can ride around most of the day on a tank. I've done it lot's of times, but then again I know the terrain and where I am, at all times. Plus I usually ride with someone else in our group, and they all ride utility machines and we carry a small can of gas in their box. I wouldn't recommend riding out there alone. The area can be treacherous, not to scare anyone off, but it is different riding in the mountains. The challenge is what brings us back for the most part. So you really need to be careful. If you've ever been to Bull Gap, there are trails that go up the side of the hill on both sides. That is what some of the trails there are like. Except Windrock has steeper, rockier trails. I love the hill climbing.

How long are you planning on staying?

Old 03-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Range Rover
Default WindRock

We will probably be riding there for 3 days

Old 03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default WindRock

take LOTS of tire repair stuff. It is a rocky place.

Quick Reply: WindRock