Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Sneak Peek at New Hatfield McCoy Trail

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sneak Peek at New Hatfield McCoy Trail

Here is an article a reporter I took out on the Wyoming County section of HM wrote

Todd Nenni

Reporter gets her first taste of ATV mud on Hatfield-McCoy Trail
By Jessica Farrish/REGISTER-HERALD REPORTER

REPORTER'S NOTEBOOK Jessica Farrish

It was big and red and muddy. It had a cute name - Arctic Cat - but there was nothing cuddly about the all-terrain vehicle waiting for me.

Gulping, I swallowed that panicky feeling that creeps into the back of your throat when you're facing fear. I looked around at the other reporters, most of them comfortably perched atop their ATVs, eager to hit the Wyoming County circuit of the Hatfield-McCoy Trail.

Not only was I the only woman in the group, I apparently was also the only reporter who had never ridden an ATV.

Underneath the all-weather pants, leather jacket and formidable gloves that Register-Herald photographer Chuck Garvin had laughingly outfitted me with moments earlier, I was wearing a baby-blue leisure suit and designer tennis shoes that were a source of amusement to these serious ATV riders. It wasn't as if I had a stellar reputation to live up to here. I could back out easily.

Every news story I'd ever written about ATV-related injuries and deaths flooded my mind. I was sure if I drove down the muddy, 2-foot slope that my guide, Todd Nenni, told me to ride down for practice, I would flip over and end up being a news story. Chuck would take unflattering pictures.

But what would the editors say if I went back with no story?

"OK, I'll do it," I said, hopping onto the Arctic Cat. The seat was soft, and raindrops were dripping off the clear face plate on my helmet.

I was one of a group of reporters and photographers invited to try the trail Friday, a few weeks before its May grand opening.

Todd, co-owner of WV Outback ATV, was a trail guide who volunteered to take reporters on the trails. His company regularly takes ordinary citizens like myself, places them on a rented ATV, guides them along trails and films the event so they can keep it for posterity. In other words, WV Outback ATV turns novices into pros.

Todd promised to ride right in front of me so I could follow his tire tracks. We agreed he would stay in constant contact with me via the radio connected to my helmet.

After a couple of practice runs (I made it down the 2-foot slope), our group was off, mired cloud of glory.

We drove along some flat trails. I barely felt the pouring rain. The trails were rutted with water and quicksand-style mud. The ATV slid slightly but didn't tip over or get stuck. I concentrated on not confusing the gas and brake.

Just when I got smug, the trail started going uphill. It also became narrower, rockier and more rutted. It offered a fantastic view of a springtime cliffside. Did I mention we were riding on the ridge of the cliff?

Wouldn't you know it? My fear of heights chose this moment to revive. My prayers became more fervent. I controlled the urge to jump off the ATV and run back down the trail by looking at my muddy shoes and counting the other ATVs breezing past me.

We topped a hillside and stopped. I enjoyed the camaraderie of the other ATV riders, who assured me I was doing great. Across the misty valley, we could see the rooftops of a beautiful town. I realized the Arctic Cat was warm in the cold rain. Its motor sounded like a purr. Todd left me at this point, sure that I could keep up with everyone else.

Our group took off again, and Todd was right. I wasn't trailing everyone as I'd done earlier. After about a half mile of riding in confidence and enjoying the scenery, the ride ended.

I alighted from the ATV with a slight swagger.

Back at the newspaper office, everyone joked about my outfit and shoes and asked how I'd fared on the ATV trail.

"It was great," I told them. "You should try it."
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 01:58 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

That’s pretty neat, having someone that’s never been on an ATV before get a sampling of the new trail system. I’ve been hearing about this for quite a while, sounds like it’s finally becoming a reality, but a little too late for my upcoming visit so I will have to check it out on my 2nd trip down for 2004, probably sometime in June. I heard it’s supposed to add about 120 miles of trails to the Hatfield McCoy system…

Old 04-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Sounds to me like the folks at HM are moving fast to expand the riding area. That's awesome. More trails for me to ride!