Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Nor California/Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nor California/Sacramento

HI all,

New to the forum here. I live outside of SacTown and am looking for some new places to ride, within about 2 hours.
I have been to Carnegie (husband crashed quad and totalled it on first ride) and don't intend to return and have been to Prairie City several times. We have our training in May and are looking to stay in places that are very easy riding...ie; small baby hills, fire roads, and very easy trails.

Any ideas? A pismo trip is already planned for early June so we do know about that,

Also..if it makes a difference I ride a 250 Bayou and my husband rides a 360 Prairie 4x4 (both utility quads).

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2004, 01:14 AM
Quad Patrol

Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]There's Hollister that's about 1 1/2 hrs off hwy 152 over Pacheco Pass, Stanislaus Nat'l Forest above Sonora, same off of Hwy 4 near Dorrington. Stanislaus Co. has county run parks, LaGrange (old rock quarry) it's small. Then, there's Frank Raines Park west of Patterson, It's similiar to Carnegie, lots of hills. Right now only about 250 acres opened. Rest is closed for restoration after a huge wildfire. When you go to pismo, do search on here and read some of the old posts. A lot of good info if you've never been there. Lt. Dan

Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I did know about Hollister...thinking of going there next weekend and doing some camping and riding :-)

Old 04-11-2004, 03:30 AM
Range Rover

The national forest sound just like the place for you. I would suggest eldorado forest, if you go straight up 88 to pioneer. Stop at the ranger station, they are full of info. Pipi valley would be a good place to ride, try trail 33, it's about a 20 mile loop, and has a little bit of everything, not real difficult.

Old 04-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Regor! I will definitely look into more of the forest areas...the PiPi one sounds like a good ride...we haven't done anything outside of an OHV park , but riding a loop (we've heard so much about them from dirtbike friends) sounds like it would be fun.

Has anyone every been up to Fouts Springs area riding? Is it any good for quads? We have some bike friends who are trying to drag us up there for a ride, but we're (well actually me cuz I'm new and being a wuss) are trying to stick to flatter lands.

Thanks all...I can tell that this forum will end up being one of my favorite internet areas for ATV info.

Old 04-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

There is some good riding trails like you mentioned off of Forebay Rd in Pollock Pines off of Hwy 50. The trails are all posted and not too crowded. The riding area is 11 miles in after turning onto Forebay Rd. Some spots are narrow so if pulling a trailer in just need to go slow on the turns in case someone eles is coming the other way. Has anyone else on the forum been to this location? Also as mentioned buy "Regor" some good riding at PiPi, just more crowded there.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try Sugarpine, it's near the town of Foresthill, just outside of Auburn. Lot's of trail's and there is even a campground near Sugarpine Reservoir, if you want to stay a few day's. It's a good place to ride!

Old 04-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks HWy and Shotgun...I'm compiling a list of all these places! So many places to ride..and yet so little time...dang midterms/finals always getting in the way on weekends.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I'll definately toss up a 2nd on Hollister. It really is a good place to learn. The trails are pretty easy. Everything is rated up there. Stick to the green circles and it's like riding a dirt road. There are three of those. Next up from them are blue squares, then black diamonds followed by double black diamonds (MC only). Hollister is much more popular with the MC crowd but it seems to be getting more quads up there. If you go within a week of it raining (I believe it's going to this weekend) prepare to get muddy. When it rains they close about 1/3 of the park because it's like trying to ride on jello. Take a hose nozzle with you and you can wash off the really nasty mud at the wash racks.

I've been riding a lot up between Oakhurst and Yosemite at Miami Motorcycle Trails. If you are looking for easy stuff you can stick to the fire roads or take about one of 3 decently easy trails. The trails ratings need to be updated there. Some of the green stuff is increadibly nasty do to erosion issues. A note about riding on USFS land. Make sure you have a working spark arrestor. You also need to stick to level 2 forest roads. These are the ones with the vertical (wood) signs for the road like such:

S

As opposed to level 3 and 4 rds which have horizontal (metal) signs like such:

6S41

Here a link for Riding Areas in CA.

Bokasmo CA Riding Site

CA State Parks SVRAs

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 04-13-2004, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Black. Our quads are only a month old so they do have the spark arrestors. And thanks for the tip on the signage! Will definitely remember that.