Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

best place to ride in michigan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best place to ride in michigan?

I would check out the St. helen moter sports area trails. There are a bunch of trails that are fun to run. Not a real bad drive. Gladwin trail is dewcent but you would not get a full 2 days there. The nice thing about Gladwin is you can camp there (right next to the trail for free) so you can spend a weekend that way.
Have you done your trails at Wayne Nat. forest? We rode them and liked them, VERY muddy when we went but still fun.
Hatfield and McCoy is also awesome, a bit of a drive but if you are looking for a several day trip this is it. AWESOME for 4x4's, parts are not passible with a sport quad however. (Heck we had to winch fully locked up 4x4's on parts this winter - with no snow).
Check out ATVOFFROAD.NET for a lot of info on Michigan trails and people to ride with. There are a TON of trails and a lot of people that have a great time getting together and going riding on there. Also some of them live near the trails and can let you know about the current conditions with is very helpful.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

the gladwinn trails have so many woops on them it took me forever to go all the way on my banshee

Old 05-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

LaperBanshee I agree the Gladwin was way too whooped up. I think that the ride to Mio is worth the extra time in the truck. The link below usally has some recent posts about trail conditions.
http://www.michigandirtslingers.com/

Old 05-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

I heard, but am not too sure, that they fixed Gladwin up for this season. Maybe someone out there can tell us if the trail is smoother this year. I remember some sections being bad, but can't say it really bothered me a ton. Then again the Z400 and Prairie are pretty plush so that helps.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

I do not know about last year but this year the whoops are there. Still was fun and I am planning on going back to ride the other sections that I did not get to see.

Old 05-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

pretty much the whole beggining was woops but if you take the road and on the left side there is a open area where you can hit a couple jumps and a pretty sandy area but dont get caught. i personally like St.Helens motorsport area better

Old 05-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

Here’s my first to worse as rated …… 5-1 ( 5 being best )

Black Lake ( 4-5)... this place is awesome definitely the best in lower Michigan
Has a 450 acres scrambler area ( the softest sand known to mankind ) many grass lines 2 tracks
This was a old abandon ski lodge so many CRAZY BALLSZY hillside runs if your dare !!!
Has camping food and gas ( bar / restaurant that overlook Black lake )
if you want peace in the forest this trail is it !!! Run the power lines if your looking for MUD

Atlanta .. (4) many trails / route to get lost on …… lots of scenic sites …..
Has Jackson Lake you can camp and ride from ( $10 nightly )
Largest Elk herd in Mich – 800 strong !!!!! Clear Lake St park close also

The M-72 “corridor” has many nice systems

Bull Gap – (4) large loop system – has a nice N/S & E/W routes to get you somewhere fast…
A GREAT SAND hill to climb ( a must ) south branch ( maltby hills area ) very nice trails and scenery.
Stop at the “PINK STORE” ( gas and store ) and pick up a map ( theyhave the correct trail letters )
you can quad directly to many towns “via quad” for gas and food….also theres a campground ....the
Meadow trail system (3) connects directly to this route acrossed m-33 ... camping also
this is a sno-mo fast paced system with mostly routes ( MaDetters Bar/gas is in Luzerne )

Kalkaska (3) …. Nice “TIGHT” system with many sandy trails to ride…..
starvation lake w/ restaurant/gas….a great 2 day trip and next to it

Frederic (2) nice quiet system – small parking lot, ridge running sandy trials
southeastern loop section is VERY TIGHT …. trees everywhere … ping pong anyone…

St Helen ... ( 2-3) smaller system ( nice big scrabler area - make your own trails )
last year DRN put in a great connector to the denton system ...
better bring gas ..... this crosses a few bridges and gets the speed going..

Leota (2-3) very well marked …. Nice camping along River …. Good vistas - large parking lot
A little beat up coming and going …. Connects to Denton ( never road that one yet)

Gladwin ( 2 ) (3 when wet ) )we only ride this system in the spring or late fall ( winter )
They did redo some trails this season along with a new parking lot..
Trails do get whooped out fast ….. nice 30 acre scramble area for you sandaholics..
NW trial loop gets really muddy ( water alley ) in spring ( a plus for us !!!!)

Old 05-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

Where is Black Lake and have you ever found a 5 outside the state?

Old 05-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

Logleaper--
Nice job on the top 5 list.

Can you compile one for da UP?

circuit2

Old 05-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

anyone around 15 in MI

Quick Reply: best place to ride in michigan?