Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Rasor -- where's the sand dunes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rasor -- where's the sand dunes?

On my way to LA last weekend. I decided to check out the riding area at Rasor rd. I went as far as I could but didn't see anything interesting. Just dirt road. Lots of loose sand. (almost got stuck...) Next time, I'll bring the quad along. Can anyone please recommend an introductory ride at Rasor rd? Where's a good spot to park? If I can only spend about 2-3 hours, can I find some sand dunes? Any map available? thanks.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go in on Rasor Rd. about 6-7 miles, until it ends in a bunch of big trees (the only big ones around). From there, if you go west (or kind of northwest) a mile or so, you can't miss it. If you don't have a 4X4 truck, you will probably have to park out along the front somewhere (before the road gets bad), and ride the quad in.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

You can see the dunes from the trees.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Check out my pictures. There's Reconranger and Chris142, both atop their quads in the sand dunes at Razor.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

My favorite thing out there is the sand trails that run around the bushes. There are lots of them just west of the big trees. We call it the "pick and choose", because the bike in front gets to "pick and choose" the trail, and everybody else has to chase the bike in front of them.

Also, do check out Afton Canyon sometime! Go in on Basin Rd. south (next exit after Rasor), until you reach the railroad tracks. Go under the railroad bridge to pick up the trail. Basically, you just ride down the riverbed, which should still have water for a few more weeks (great ride for a hot day!). There are two BIG stream crossings, as you get down close to Afton! (Note-a couple of miles in, Basin Rd. will fork. Take the dirt road to the left, not the better gravel road to the right, which goes to a mine. And, there are some interesting old mine ruins near the bridge.)

OR, you can go in on the Afton exit (two exits after Rasor). Park at the campground, and pick up the trail to the east, as it follows the railroad tracks. You reach a stream crossing pretty quick. Keep in mind that Afton is a BLM ACEC area, so please DO STAY ONLY ON THE TRAILS, so they don't kick us all out!