Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

s/f bay area riders - where do u ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s/f bay area riders - where do u ride?

Originally posted by: BUDXXX
The wind was not bad. it was 10-20 mph. It kept the heat down, but also caused a little bit of sand to blow across the dunes, which did not bother me at all, even though I just wear sunglasses instead of goggles....

The wind also helps to blow the fog away tosome degree....

When we were there is was clear all day, no fog.

Just go do it. and ride safely, no injuries....
Worse time I ever had with the wind was Spring Break, 4-5 years ago. My god, I was lucky to bring the kids home with me. The wind was non stop. I hear you about "just doing it and riding safely" These old bones don't heal like they used to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Range Rover

just got back in from knoxville. no crowds, beautiful scenery, although some areas littered with shotgun shells due to hunting.
so where is everyone going this July 4th?

Old 06-30-2004, 04:15 AM
Quad Patrol

We were trying to make a one day trip to meet friends at Pismo, but, wife picked up an extra shift. Now, we will probably hit a local riding area.

Where's knoxsville at?

Old 07-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Range Rover

knoxville is off lake berryessa-knoxville road. it is about 18 miles north of lake berryessa. it is mostly fire roads, very limited campgrounds but most important is no crowds. tis good place to stretch your quads legs, test your ability and ride fast and hard.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: atvbandit
knoxville is off lake berryessa-knoxville road. it is about 18 miles north of lake berryessa. it is mostly fire roads, very limited campgrounds but most important is no crowds. tis good place to stretch your quads legs, test your ability and ride fast and hard.
Ok, thanks, I know where berryessa is. Never been there, but I could find it on a map.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

i have a 1999 gmc 1500 v6 will i have to get that towed in to the beach at pismo? i heard they do towing how much witll that cost? thanks

Old 07-01-2004, 04:14 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: slidesquad
i have a 1999 gmc 1500 v6 will i have to get that towed in to the beach at pismo? i heard they do towing how much witll that cost? thanks
Slide, check the tide tables for when low tide will be on the day you arrive and leave. Then coordinate your times around that. As far as getting pulled on to the beach, it depends on how far along the coast you want to go and how far up from the surf you want to camp. Angelo's who is right off the beach, does guarantee you on and off the beach for a fee. I think it depends on what you need towed on and off. I know friends did it a few years ago and it was about $65.00 but it could of changed. I suggest lowering the tire pressure on your truck and trailer if your towing one. Their is always someone there that will tow your vehicle for free. It's a bragging thing for them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, if you don't want to worry about getting on and off, then contact Angelo's. JMHO Lt. Dan

Old 07-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

slide, as rescue noted, look at the tide table (it's bad when I know the URL by heart.) Get there at, or slightly before the lowest tide of the day. You'll want to leave at the lowest tide of the day, if it is at all possible.

Once you get on the sand, the fun begins. When you get down to the water line (or you can do it while waiting in line) drop your air pressure down in your tires. I drop down to 12 psi front and 10 psi rear on a '91 GMC Sonoma with passenger tires. This will make your tire contact patch 2x-3x what it normally is. This will allow your truck to float. Once you have that taken care of, stay on the hard damp sand (dark in color). When you find your spot, you'll want to take a run at it if it's going to be a tough shot, or even an easy one. Speed limit is 15MPH, but I get up to about a 25MPH run if there's no rangers around, or once I get off the hard pack. Just watch for people! The goal is to be smooth and keep the speed up. Don't slam the brakes on unless you absolutely have to.

Tires make a huge difference. Nice soft tires that squish and flex willingly work awesome. A fwd car can put miles on the beach in soft sand and not get stuck, if they are careful to not hit big dips and bumps. The tires flex well on passenger tires (they are softer as they don't need to carry the weight) and all the weight is over the drive wheels.

Now for the tools to bring with you. First, a shovel. I bring two. A spade and a flat nose. THe flat nose works better for making ramps for the tires if you bury it. I also bring a steel tine rake to smooth out the sand for the tent. Get a tow STRAP from a auto parts store, or Wal-Mart. Shouldn't be any more than $20 really. Go for a 10,000 lb unit. Or higher. It can never be too big. Before you go, figure out where you'll attach it to your truck if you need it. Some people will not attach the strap to your truck in case it gets damaged. Usual victims are air dams and license plates. These also aren't ropes, but heavy duty straps. DO NOT use a nylon rope! If it snaps it can get ugly!

If you use someone like Angelo's, call early and make a reservation. It will be cheaper. If you get stuck and have to be pulled out, it's big money. There are only a couple companies that have licenses to tow on the beach for a fee. But many people will do it as rescue says for bragging rights. Some just out of courtesy as they've been there before.

Good luck.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-01-2004, 05:58 AM
Pro Rider

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO I AM PLANING MY FIST TRIP OUT THERE IN THE NEXT MONTH OR SO I WILL BE GETTING WITH SOME FORUM MEMBER HOPFULLY

Old 07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slide,
Just drop your tire pressure as Black and Red stated and you'll be fine. Don't try to make any sharp turns in the deep stuff. I have taken my 2WD silverado out there many times without any problems. If you do get stuck there is usually someone around with a big ol monster truck willing to pull you out. Pick up a tow strap at your local autoparts/4WD strore.

FYI - I'll be heading down with a large group July 22-25th. I would love to check out your mods on your DS.

Quick Reply: s/f bay area riders - where do u ride?