Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

s/f bay area riders - where do u ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s/f bay area riders - where do u ride?

Besides Hollister, Carnegie, Pismo and Prairie City... anyone know of any place with miles of fire roads and trails wide enough to run quads ?

Old 06-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Hey Joey, your best bet is one of the national forest. Just stop in at any range station and ask, they are full of info and maps. I ride in the eldorado forest all the time, because it's the only a couple of hours away. Friday i rode the trail that goes up around bear river, and goes all the way to caples lake. That was awesome, you top out at 9200 ft. Throw in some technical stretches, lots of rocks, and plenty of beautiful scenery. It was probably one of the best rides i've been on. So the best advice i can give you is stop at the ranger station, buy a map of whatever national forest you're in, and do some exploring, you never know what you'll find.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

South Cow Mountain. It has a fire road from Ukiah to lakeport, 17 miles. Plus more trails and creek beds then you can ride in a month.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Quad Patrol

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Regor, go to a national froest, Stanislaus National forest goes from the North side of Yosemite to Hwy 4 near Dorrington. We just started riding there and loved it. Never ending trails and scenery. Lt. Dan

Old 06-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Well, If youwant a little drive first:

Jawbone Canyon/Mohave desert, 7 hour drive. Jawbone is just the starting point, from there you can ride or trailer to hundreds of other places from Mohave to Bishop.

Forest Hill trail systems, 2.5 hour drive. Some nice rides but lots of Single tracks that are too norrow too.

Moon rocks area north of Sparks Nevada, 4 1/2 hour drive.

Lovelock Nevada, areas north and south of Lovelock, 7 hour drive. Awesome places and vistas. Abandoned mine/towns. For that matter there is 10,000 places to ride in Nevada, Nevada absolutely rules for Desert riding.

National forest areas others have mentioned, 3 hour drive.

Rubicon trail areas off hwy 50 on the way to Tahoe, 3 1/2 hour drive, Nice places to camp and ride.

Stonyford has lots of trails, can be difficult if you get on the wrong trail, 3 1/2 hour drive..

Utah, Oregon and Arizona have some great places too....

We usually ride Hollister 6-10 times a year and do a couple Pismo trips, (going there this Sunday), and the rest of the time we like to go to Nevada and Mohave areas with other groups of people and have had some terrific group rides... I will probably do the Sierra Nevada areas like Foresthill and Rubicon in the late summer, and then get back to the serious riding trips starting in October continuing thru May. Summer is for boating, and we usually only quad at places where the temperature is down a little....during the summer months....

Old 06-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

OH yeah, I forgot, we hate Carnegie. For Quads, it sucks!

Old 06-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

thanks guys for all the input. i recently learned of this place called knoxville (blm land) while talking to my local dealer. it is off the lake berryessa-knoxville rd. in lake county. im planning a trip there saturday.

rescue diver, have you tried the deer creek trail off Longbarn? i heard from a guy who used to live there that it is very expanse. just need info on trail terrain e.g. rocky/technical, how wide, any river crossings, steepness ...thanks.

budxxx, any place closest to reno,nv to do wide open desert riding. need specific area and directions where to stage and how far and wide are the trails. always wanted to do a Johnson valley trip but it is too far and i mostly ride alone. thanks.

regor, which trail area in eldorado forest would you recommend (wide enough and not too steep)?

jmac650, ive been to south cow and definitely loved it. try to go there once a month.

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Have you been to hollister? Me and 3 of my buddy are going this weekend. We are leaving tonight and are staying until sunday.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

jmac650, been there only a few times since they are too strict about sound levels and have always given me a hard time since i ride a two stroke. everytime i enter the gate to pay the fee (mostly on a busy summer weekend) , they instruct me to pull over to one side so they can closely inspect my bike longer and not tie up traffic. also they almost always do a sound check with varied results, so depending on whos doing the test, they would fail my bike even before i could unload it . off my truck. so after having to drive 3 hrs away, i would end up going to Metcalf Park. ... so now, how do you like the park and your past experiences on it?

Old 06-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have an FMF pipe which i bought a quiet core insert for. I ride until they say something which has only been once, then I installed the insert which takes 2 minutes and they checked me at 93db and gave me a sticker and that was that. I have had them look at my atv before but I just point to the sticker they gave me and they let me go on my way.

Quick Reply: s/f bay area riders - where do u ride?