Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NC, Nags Head, Hatteras, Corolla ATV Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC, Nags Head, Hatteras, Corolla ATV Riding?

We're planning a vacation down to Nags Head area in a month or so. Anybody know of a place to stay where we can hop on our ATVs and ride around a good size area? I've been there before, but never with ATVs. I know Corolla you can drive on the beach with your vehicles to get to the cottage, but I don't know about ATVs on the beach. I've heard there are places and I thought it would be nice to ride around and enjoy the view while we were there with family. Thanks everyone.

regards,

Dale

Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi i'm also planning a trip to the outer banks. staying in corolla and was wondering if you dare to use atvs on the beaches there? please let me know asap. thanks

Old 08-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

While fishing there last year at Cape Point near Hatteras I asked a local about ATVs. He said he thought you had to have a license plate on your ATV to be able to do it, he said that none of the locals have ATVs because they all drive their vehicles where they want to go and no need for an ATV.

I know they do patrols there, they are really picky about their beaches, which is one of the reasons it all looks so beautiful.

My guess is that they wont allow you, in fear of someone wanting to hillclimb one of those beautiful dunes with Seaoats.

Call the Chamber of Commerce or DNR, or both, I am sure you will get the exact legalities.

Old 08-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

No ATV's on the beach area's. You WILL get a summons and they are big $$$. You can take a tagged street vehicle but you will need to air down to 20psi, have 4wd, a shovel and a strap. If you get stuck w/o the preceeding you will be issued a summons as well. No dune walking or driving fast. Trust me on all of these [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

he is right i live here in nc and they are bad about atv's use to be able to drive on the beaches but it only takes a couple to mess everything up i am not really sure about the whole shovel and strap thing is about they will have speed limits posted and there are big fines for breaking the rules. there are a couple of places you can ride in OBX topsail island is one of them nags head i am not so sure about because the dunes are a historic land mark