Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

RIDING IN MOAB

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIDING IN MOAB

i was interesrted about nriding in moab
can anyone shed some light on the expierience (spelling)
i was going to try to go to little sahara but i don't think i have the bike for it.
so moab is the next choce (for me 26 hours and 1600 miles) i want
to make the right decision.
what is expected and alltitude adjusting
what kind of jetting is recommended.

thanks

Old 08-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default RIDING IN MOAB

Bamaboss,
Go for it!
I was there last September and it's the best place I've ever ridden, in fact, I'm going back next month. Get the book "Guide to Moab, Utah Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. I found it online (booksamillion.com) and planned my trip before we left home. Be sure to go to Hurrah Pass, Hey Joe Canyon, and Gemini Bridges. Make sure your wheelers are in top shape, and take some extra gas, and a camera! None of these rides are very difficult, but they are very scenic.
Moab is only in the 4500 ft. elevation range, so there was no need to re-jet our 4-wheelers, they ran just fine. You'll find nice trailheads to park your vehicle while you ride. You willl have to trail your 4-wheelers to the trailhead, but most are less than 20 minutes from town.
I must have called ten different campgrounds before I left home to try and find a place where I could ride to the trails from the campground, but to no avail, they all said you have to trailer your 4-wheelers to the trailheads. Turns out...it wasn't that much of a hassle at all.
We stayed at the Slick Rock Campgrounds. The grounds were clean, as well as the restrooms and showers. I would definitely stay there again. They had a pool (ice cold) and three hot tubs. Just what the doctor ordered after doing 40 or 50 miles through those canyons!
The restaurant on the south side of the campgrounds had some of the best prime rib I've ever eaten...check it out!

If you want to see what you're getting into, feel free to email me, I have a ton of pics that I'll be glad to share.

Have a good time and ride safely...XMARINE.........thesalesguy@***.net

Old 08-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default RIDING IN MOAB

Wife and I are headed there next week. We will hit it 4 days and then on to Richfield and the Piaute for a week. We are hoping it isn't too hot but then it is August. At least the humidity is a lot less than we are used to so that will help.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default RIDING IN MOAB

thanks guys for the info

Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default RIDING IN MOAB

I must agree with the positive comments on riding ATV's around Moab. My family and I were just there in July. Yes, it was hot !! Should be very nice in the fall though. I want to go again already. The scenery everywhere is spectacular. Besides the Charles Wells book another very helpful one is by Peter Massey, Backcountry Adventures: Utah. I think the trail descriptions and directions are actually better.

Hurrah pass is a very nice ride. I would also recommend Onion Creek and Thompson Canyon north of Moab on 128 ( I think that is the highway). Either of these could easily be an all day ride. I believe you can ride on all of the trails around Moab on ATV's except for the ones in the National Parks (Arches and Canyonlands). Shafer trail is also very nice. One end of the trail has a climb up (or down) very dramatic switchbacks; this part of the trail is in Canyonlands, so you would not be able to ride your ATV there though. But when I go back, I am tempted to ride the non-Canyonlands part on ATV because the scenery is so spectacular.

Check out my photos from Moab and we also went over to Richfield and rode part of the Paiute trail.

Moab/Richfield Pics