Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

looking for fellow upstate NY riders "need New trails to ride"

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for fellow upstate NY riders "need New trails to ride"

Big Bird, I bought my map $5.00 from one of the clubs I am a member. I do recall that some of the bars/restaurants I mentioned up above sell them also. Ideally, the best thing to do is to ride with someone who knows the trail system. If you only use the map make out a cheat sheet to put on your handlebars or something. If not you will be unfolding the map every five minutes figuring out which way to go. The map is about 3 ft long by 2 ft wide.

Chris

Old 12-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

Tuh Hill , is a great place to ride.
As for the fire roads , if you look around you will find great trail riding there also.
Try washington park , plenty of trail riding and mud trails also.
The Wiona part of tug hill is all trails , 90% trails 10 % fire roads , the only down fall is there are no gas stations in Wiona , but plenty of rest rooms and parking with camping areas.

Old 12-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

Wiona is also a good spot up above barnes Corners. i have never been there but have heard it is really good. It would be one of those hit Wiona in the morning, load up head to tuggers and ride tug hill rest of the night. Sounds good to me.

Chris

Old 12-31-2004, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Chris, Thanks for the help . We are actually looking into one of those places. You think you could get me the numbers for all of them. I would greatly apreciate it. We are actually going in May. not July.. We are trying to plan a Hatfield McCoy trip in july.
Thanks for your help.
Mark

Old 12-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

Mark, As you requested

-Timberview (Turin) Central to Southern Tug Hill, (315-348-8400)
-The Edge Motel( Lyons falls) on Rt 12 about 3 miles to the east as the crow flies to Timberview, (315-348-4211)
-Brantingham Inn, about 5 miles to the east as the crow flies to Timberview (315-348-8125)
-Flatrock Inn, central Tug Hill, (315-376-2332)
-Montague Inn central to Northern Tug Hill, (315-376-2078

These numbers came off my 2003 map so I hope they are still valid. The Timberview, Montague and the Edge motel are fairly new within the last few years. Tuggers, Timberview and the Edge motel has the best safe parking for large trailers over 15ft and has the largest parking lot by far. Timberview is also primarily where we park due to the fact that this is centrally located and the closest to get to from the south via truck. This is ideal if you like to ride at night and not have to worry about riding in more of a less rural setting that you would be exposed to if say you parked down at the Edge Motel or Brantingham INN. When I say less rural I mean you will go by 8 houses max in a 15 minute time frame instead of .0000005 houses that you would on tug hill. Once you go south and to the east of tug hill you will run into more paved roads then trails until you get towards RT 12 and over towards the Edge motel and Brantingham.

For entertainment purposes there can be bands/kareoke at Tuggers, Pinetree, Montague and the Rivertrail (Which is a stones throw away from the Edge Motel). If interest in this you can plan your rides accordingly, Pinetree is a bit larger and is more of a semi city type of crowd compared to the rest but is one of our favoritre places due to all the eye candy that goes there.

Brantingham has mostly trails, is now mostly closed to ATV's except for the through way trails which is still nice in terms of you can make a nice circuclar round trip from Tug Hill down into Brantingham and back up to the hill. People still ride in Brantingham but you need to be careful. The area has poweline trails, hills is mostly sand, and has a nice brook trout stream going through it. Unfortunately it is part of the Adirondack park and there are DEC and forest rangers on patrol.

To make this easier on you I would suggest calling one of the following clubs, discuss your interests with them and get a map. These clubs a few times month have activitites such as poker runs or drag races, mud bogs going on to support the clubs. Once you get a map pm me and I will give you a number to call me and I will try to help you understand the tug hill area better

-Highmarket wheelers,
-Black River Valley 4 wheel club
-Tug Hill wheelers

Unfortuanetely my map does not give me phone numbers for these clubs but you can find them on the web.

Chris

Old 12-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your help Chris. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have a summerhouse 45 minutes north of watertown NY ( Clayton, Alex bay, Ogdensburg) right on the St. Laurence. Have you guys ever heard of the towns of boonville and louwville, they are on rt 12 heading up north and i havent stopped there before but ive heard theres an abundance of trails. you can see a bunch just along the highway there. there is also a motel right across the street from where a lot of trails come together. from albany get on 90 west and take it to route 12. just stay on there and look for those towns. if you hit I81 in watertown youve gone too far. I have heard there is good riding in clayton as well but thats further for you semi-upstaters

Old 12-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

Evan, Boonville is not legal for ATV use, The base of Tug hill is right around Constableville NY which is about 10 minutes to the North of Boonville. You can park here and ride south towards Boonville but can only go about halfway there legally. Tug hill borders lowville on the west side. Really, there are many clubs north of Boonville and to the East, North and West of Tug hill. The only major place of dilema is about 5 miles to the east of lowville named Watson. For all you sand slinging boys out there this is sand heaven, Hills that would give any sport quadgrief unless you had some serious horsepower and tires, these sand hills are enormous and even though I have spent half of my riding years in sandpits this place makes me nervosssss, but unfortunately you are not supposed to be there. Sihhhhhh. Watson lies North of Brantingham and to the south of Croghan, which from what I have seen is pretty ATV friendly there and northward. There is alot of riding North of Boonville that alot of people do not know about but for overall enjoyment of just cruising around in a worry free environment and not having to worry about getting a ticket unless of course you are not insured or registered Tug hill is home away from home as far as I am concerned

Chris

Old 12-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

im not insured or registered lol

Old 12-31-2004, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

No insurance or registration, That is a big NO NO on Tug Hill. Really the sheriffs are pretty cool up there as long as you have this, if not they will impound your bike. I forgot to mention you can get to Tug hill on the northern most section in Barnes Corners which is very close to Watertown. Take 177 from Adams center (off 81) or take rt 12 south from watertown unitl you hit 177 then go west till Barns corners, not very far.

Chris