Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004 | 11:05 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

Just went there last weekend for the first time. Made the mistake of waiting too long to make reservations and wound up at the Colonial Motel in Man, WV. The water from the faucets and shower smelled like sewage. We literally considered not showering even after being on the trails all day. Though we saw them change the sheets when we checked in, they still looked dirty. The food in the restaurant was a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. We went to a couple other restaurants in town, and the service was fair. My best dining experience in Man was at a Hardees......
The trails were incredible! What a great experience. They made the motel tolerable. Gilbert's restaurants were much better. The people were incredibly friendly. And the water didn't make you want to vomit. For our return trip next year, we'll stay in Gilbert and only go to Man if we're on that side of the trails and running low on fuel.
We tried all the levels of trails, and only turned on the 4wd once. There are a couple really steep spots, and one that made me pray on the way down.
Definitely a trip worth making!

Old 10-02-2004 | 05:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hatfield McCoy

We re planning our 3rd trip to PInnacle Creek next weekend which is only like 10-15 miles from the Hatfield and McCoy system. There are a bunch of trails and its by far the cheapest.........FREE!!! Pinnancle Creek Campground is great, only $5 per person to camp, water and electric on each site and a bath house.

Its getting down in the 40s now at nite, so take some warm clothes. 3 things I will not leave home without when going up there; jacket, extra pair of boots, and a rainsuit.

As far as how youre treated, you couldnt be treated better. They actually make you feel welcome.

Brad

Old 10-03-2004 | 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hatfield McCoy

Definitely a trip worth making![/quote]

LimpingLizard

Glad you enjoyed the trails. If you return, I wish you better luck with lodging. Most places are clean, cozy, and affordable.

My husband and I love having the Browning Fork Trail System as our backyard playground.

650Kawgirl

Old 10-03-2004 | 11:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

LimpingL - There are several places that the water has a "smell" to it, it is sulpher. You get that sometimes in rural areas (hard water - hard to get whites clean with it too). We just got back from riding 4 full days at H/M. If you want to read the ride report it is on our site, (quadcrew.com) it's pretty long. I have it under the Hatfield McCoy section. We don't travel there for the food, we go for the trails and the people we meet. If that is what you're looking for, you won't find any place better!! The trails were in great shape - I just hate having to come back home. (Mrs. Q)

Old 10-03-2004 | 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield McCoy

Quadcrew

........OH...........OK.........I didn't know that was the water smelling like that. I thought it was something else creeping out of the bathroom[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2004 | 10:15 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

Freddy22
TheWeedman
RookieRacer
I highly recommend The Doo Drop Inn in Gilbert. 650Kawgirl (on this forum) has been most accomodating and I love the "Park and Ride" aspect of thier location. We prefer their trailer/cabin set ups to the usual hotel/motel options. Cost is about the same, security is better, the people are awesome, and you get a feeling of "living it" rather than just staying there.

LimpingLizard - We had very good food at Billie Ann's in Gilbert and very good food in Williamson -
plus a few other places I cannot recall - how good does it have to be? Just good enough to keep it down and get us on the way -

I recommend advance reservations - as early as possible -

Old 10-04-2004 | 10:36 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

Kushman - You are just not right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You be good, or we'll make you ride all the quads over that high wall next time!! Seriously, 650kaw's place looks adorable - we passed by it on our way to our lodging. Most of the business people have excellent places to stay. We resort to the motel when we need to, it has what is needed - hot shower and a bed. We prefer staying at the individual business owner places - and we're trying our best to get to meet them all. We're very lucky to have these folks welcoming us with open arms to their area - I hate having to come home. (Mrs. Q)

Old 10-04-2004 | 10:42 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

650Kawgirl:
You are really lucky. I'd get fired for missing too much work if I had the pleasure of living in Gilbert.

Ilovemymudder:
Billie Anns was very good. Once we found it, we ate a couple meals there. Everything in Gilbert was great. It's Man where we had bad food and service. Next year we are staying in Gilbert.

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:26 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

The food and service in Man needs improvement

AND TWO WHEELERS are not allowed on the streets in Man - I heard they actually ticket and possibly impound the dirtbikes if they are not street legal - this might have changed since I first heard if it ...

Gilbert is da place to be ...

Old 10-05-2004 | 11:54 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

Now that the days are getting shorter, you may want to think about McDonalds or Hardees in Gilbert for lunch. We ate at Billie Anns 3 out of the 4 days we were there, the food is excellent, but you better have lots of time to waste. It took an average of 45 minutes each time to get our food. When we have plenty of daylight, it's not a problem, but riding when time is short, you may want to go somewhere where you can get in and out quicker.

We have lots of friends who have businesses in Man. I am not sure what the problem is, but there is something going on. If you're riding a two-wheeler, DO NOT take it on the streets there, it is a guarantee that you will be stopped. Also if you are out on your quad after dark - you WILL get stopped. They're not issuing warnings anymore, it's all tickets. Plan your ride there accordingly. These are rules that have always been there, they're just really enforcing them now.

We saw a bunch of sport quad riders screaming down Rt. 10 Sunday morning (the big bridge part that is above the town) Maybe the Mayor is just getting tired of the ones who don't follow the rules, and is taking a stand. If I had to deal with people like that acting like idiots on a regular basis - I might not be so friendly towards them anymore either. It's people that do crap like that....they ruin it for everyone else.

You can still have a great time, you just have to make sure you follow the law to the letter while you are there. If we don't all take responsibility, some of the other towns may follow, and then it will be a very sad day for all of us riders.

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy