Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004 | 09:11 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Hatfield McCoy

I beilve that is the correct name of this huge riding spot in W.V. I need to know what city this is in , Highways to get to it, Im going to down there in a few weeks. Leaving from up here in Ma. Any Information you can give me on the directions near there once i get in WV would be great. Places to stay. etc. Thanks for any help you can give me !!

Freddy

Old 09-27-2004 | 09:31 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

go to www.trailsheaven.com

we are going there October 13-21 for the second time.
awesome place

We are staying in Gilbert, Wv. but there are dozens of great places to stay, depending on the number of guests, proximity to trails, amenities, etc.

If you are riding 2 wheelers, avoid the town of Man.

Gilbert has direct access to the best trails (just my .02) which are Rockhouse trails.

Our typical ride consists of waking up and riding the ATV's into Gilbert for a great breakfast.
We ride right into the trailhead from there. Follow the well marked trails and use the maps.
Several hours we arrive in the town of Man. Refuel. Lunch. Relax. Return to Gilbert using the trails on the other side of the "hollows" (mountains).

We did the same type of ride at Buffalo Mountain, only we had to trailer to the trailhead.
Rode the trails to Matewan (Kentucky Border) - has a great lunch, refueled and returned.

I could type all night long, and not say enough. We are driving 19 hours each way -
it is THAT good.
If the hurricanes don't wipe us out, we will leave Wednesday 10/13/04

PM me and I'll give you my number - answer any questions

When are you going?

Hope this helps -

Gary C
Fort Lauderdale

Old 09-27-2004 | 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield McCoy

i hear a 4x4 is a must there, is that true?
how would m blaster do?

Old 09-27-2004 | 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield McCoy

A 4x4 is not required. You could entertain yourself for a week on any quad. They have trails for every skill level. It just depends on the trails you want to tackle. There are certainly some that only a 4x4 would take, but there's plenty for blasting around on a sport quad, too. The place is truly candy-land for quads!

Old 09-27-2004 | 10:12 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Hatfield McCoy

I tyring to plan to leave either the 3rd or 4th week in oct. Unfortuanley, ill be just missing ya. This place sounds sick, and thats exaclty why i wonna go. Sounds like a perfect weknd from what you explained. It will be so nice to ride in a ATV friendly world. Theres only a few of us going.Im sure theres got to be plenty of places to camp , prolly be doing that. (ive been in WV hotels) haha, J/K. I gotta check out all the places you named and check out the pros and cons, what riding would be the best. I got a scrammy 4x4, so im looking for a lot of everything !! Thanks alot man, sure to hear from ya soon !

I have family in Ft.Lauderdale, Fun place and of course the dolphins training camp where im sure there trying to round up a new bunch of guys to play !! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Late

Old 09-27-2004 | 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield McCoy

Freddy
Use the Trails heaven website as ilovemymudder suggested
Whats nice about H/M is you can ride without ever backtracking

Riding is permitted in several tows as liong as you obey the rules

Weedman, my son-in-law went with me on his blaster, did about 290 miles in 3 days with it

ha ha ha I'm leaving wednesday night for H/M naner-naner

Forget about anything you ever heard of WV motels...the different cabins and Trail houses and trailers, and even motels in that area are top notch. You would think your mother couldn't treat you so good. They go out of their way to take care of you, all of them. And I have to plug Marty and Lisa at Browning Fork Trailhouse out side of Gilbert as well as Daddy Johns ATV rental....both are in the H/M website

Old 09-27-2004 | 11:24 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Hatfield McCoy

Sounds awesome, thanks for all the help guys. I will sure to post my experience. Thanks again

Old 09-28-2004 | 12:32 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

Freddy - we have a site that has several H/M ride reports on it. If you're interested the address is quadcrew.com There is a Hatfield McCoy section there. We go down quite a bit, there is nothing like it. There is over 500 miles of trails in the 5 different systems. For the experienced rider I would recommend Rockhouse, Buffalo Mtn. and Bear Wallow. Bear Wallow has a lot of trails shut down right now. Rockhouse is where we ususally go.Pinnacle Creek and Waterways are the two easiest systems. There is a drag race/hill climb event every Sat. night at Rolling Thunder (just S. of Logan off of Rt.10) Like the others have said, there are LOTS of places to stay, and the people down there treat you extremely well. We will be riding there Wednesday thru Sat. this week - I'll post a ride report on our site when we get back. I also have pics of each of the systems in our sig. if you want to check them out. (Mrs. Q)

Old 09-28-2004 | 09:25 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

I will also endorse The Browning Fork Trailhouse (Lisa and Marty Buchanan) in Gilbert.
Great for big groups, but book the reservation in advance - we made the mistake of waiting to reserve our cabin, only three months notice - and it was already booked. Our second choice is The Doo Drop Inn. It is smaller, less expensive but I hear it accomodates less people. Wh cose it because it is right next door to Marty Buchanan - and we know that location is great - ride from the cabin to the trail - ride to food - a very nice feature - most cabins in Gilbert and Man provide this access.

Check the website. Make a list of needs (IE: Washer/dryer, pressure washer, secure parking, good price per night, proxmity to trail/food/gas, fireplace, etc.)

The Blaster will be fine. There will be a wheelie issue on some trails - but an experienced rider can overcome it - good clutch work is a necessity - my buddy rides a Raptor, and he is the ONLY one that attempted some Black Trails...straight up the hillside, and then out of sight for ten minutes. We were worried, but he made it....

BTW - last year we left Hatfield knowing we would return. We started planning our next trip immediately -

good luck!

Old 09-29-2004 | 02:09 AM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield McCoy

Cant wait, already starting to book it, looks like the last week in oct. Going to check to see if there are any special events that week as my buddy that has been there says every week theres something going on. Will check out the websites you guys reccommended, Thanks again
Freddy

Quick Reply: Hatfield McCoy