Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

AZ Cinders Labor Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2000, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is going to the Cinders this Labor Day weekend let me know. I typically go every summer holiday weekend and then some, only this time my standard riding buddies can’t make it. I do both the Big hills (can’t quite make Chicken hill yet) and the lower trails. Let me know if you are interested. I’ll be camping out all weekend.

Old 08-31-2000, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

I am going to try to make it out there next summer. I read about that place in a magazine and ill try the big hill on my 400ex. What tires to you suggest running. How tall are these hills. Are they pretty steep. How long of a run do you have to them.

Old 08-31-2000, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I don’t have any digital pictures but they wouldn’t do it justice anyway. The hills are really tall, approx. 1000 ft. They are actually extinct volcanoes. The cinders are the size of pea gravel so paddle tires are the only way to go if you want to do the big hills. Molded paddles do better because you will hit tree roots and large pieces of pumice now and then. You also need some serious horsepower. The elevation at the base is 7000ft so the air is thin and you may have to re-jet. Between the elevation and the steepness only the hopped up machines can do the larger hills. I have a piped Banshee and it only does fair on the main hill and the steepest hill ("chicken hill"), I can only go up about 20% before the power runs out. You can get a good run at it though . Some minor whoops at the bottom, nothing serious. There is also lots of trails that don’t require paddles but it’s ok to use them as it is cinders for miles. When you are ready let me know. I would be happy to show you around.

Old 09-02-2000, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

Hey drider my brother lives in Glendale and I was looking for places to ride out there. What places would you recommend? I checked out the official AZ web site but it just sort of lists the OHV areas and when they are open, no pictures or anything. I ride a 400EX and a YZ125. I would love to go up to the Cinders and try my hand at Chicken Hill. My Ex is lightly moded (everything possible without engine work) and I’m 6ft 130lbs and have yet to find a dune at Glamis I couldn’t concur. If I get a good run at it I think I can make it as long as my Hauler paddles don’t get ripped off or I flip like I did going up Olds one time at Glamis. Luckily all I did was bust the bead on the left front tire. Anyway any recommendations of were and when would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-2000, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

There is some good riding out by Lake Pleasant. Take 89 ? (Carefree Highway) east of lake Pleasant about 8 miles. There is a well used dirt road on the north side of the highway that leads to a gravel pit. If you park at the beginning of the dirt road you will find many recently marked forest trails. The terrain varies from fast washes to technical hills. If you are interested I can show you around one weekend.

Old 09-09-2000, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer

Here is a web site with Cinders info for ya. Pictures and all.
http://www.quadracer.com/photos/trips/cinders8_00/