Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

MN Riders: Board revokes Bauer's Pit Permit

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Board revokes Bauer's Pit Permit

This goes to show that when people aren't cooperative and looking out for the best interest of the ATV community, this sort of thing is going to happen...

Brian

--------------

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Board revokes ATV range permit

By Pauline Schreiber
Daily News Staff Writer

FARIBAULT -- Rice County commissioners unanimously voted Tuesday to revoke a conditional-use permit (CUP) for an all-terrain vehicle riding area.
Roy Bauer, 17085 Donaldson Trail in Section 14 of Cannon City Township, was granted a CUP in July by the county board to turn a formerly uncontrolled gravel pit on his property into a controlled off-road vehicle riding area.

However, since granted the permit, Bauer has not worked to complete any of the conditions outlined in the permit for operating the pit as an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) riding range, Rice County Planning and Zoning Director Arlyn Grussing reported to commissioners Tuesday.

The result: Ongoing complaints from neighbors about Bauer's lack of control over ATV operators using the pit. And last Saturday two ATV drivers were injured when their vehicles crashed into each other while riding in the pit, Grussing said. They were treated at the scene by North Ambulance and Faribault rescue personnel, and transported to the hospital by private vehicle, neither seriously injured.

However, Rice County Sheriff's Deputy Troy Dunn, who is investigating the accident, found Bauer had no proof of having liability insurance, which was a requirement of the CUP. In addition, the permit required the riding area to be fenced with only one way in, so who comes and goes from the riding area could be controlled. That had not been done.

Bauer also had failed to keep a log of riders who used the pit, since the permit was issued, another required condition, Dunn's report uncovered.

"Anyone who gets a conditional-use permit is obligated to do what they said they would. You can't let something like this go," Commissioner Milt Plaisance said. "It's the law; you have to abide by a CUP permit. We've been as fair as we could be."

For years people used the defunct pit on Roy Bauer's property for driving ATVs, with the result of many complaints to law enforcement by neighbors.

Last summer the county board thought it had resolved the issue by making Bauer apply for a CUP, and having the planning commission develop conditions for operating an ATV riding range in the pit.

But revoking the permit is unlikely to resolve the issue, said Commissioner Heather Robins.

"The issue is keeping people from using the pit," she said. "I'm still concerned how the landowner is going to do that and what law enforcement can do about that."

Old 11-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default MN Riders: Board revokes Bauer's Pit Permit

Thanks for posting the info klier.

The sad thing is many of the people who were riding in the pit, knew it was closed until the CUP was satisfied and continued to go there. This shows a total lack of respect to those who have been busting their a$$es to get it open legitimately. But their self-righteous attitudes, lack of cooperation, and disrespect for the law, succeeded in what we can now call the inevitable. WAY TO GO DIPSH!TS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to create a negative impression for all offroad enthusiasts.

To those who took part in the recent activities at the pit, I suggest you do what you do best and now sit back and watch everyone else do the foot work.

We still intend to do what we can through the proper channels to open this pit, considering Roy is still willing....and kicking.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Mr. LEP7MM...

I think what might be a good idea, is to get a letter to the editor written to the Faribault Daily News. Written by legitimate folks that are working hard to open up Bauer's Pit to SAFE, LEGAL riding. At this point, the commissioners and planning and zoning committee are probably going to take any future action to open up the pit with a snicker, unless we separate ourselves from these idiots. If we inform them of "SMART" and of DNR cooperation, it might give them a second chance to look at this.

Sorry to be so frank here (and possibly out of line), but a room full of people that these committees see as "hicks" isn't going to work anymore. I think the boards want to see some people that they can relate to ... people on their same level. A lot of people still look at dirt riders as "hicks" in general. When we keep working on the plan to open Bauer's Pit again, we really need to focus on the DNR Training Route, Father and Son, Mother and Daughter sort of thing...

Any thoughts?

Old 11-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

glad you brought that up klier. This was something that was brought up during a conversation that I had with DT on Monday evening. The letter to the local paper to separate ourselves from these people would be a good idea. I will see what I can type up and will forward the letter for you to submit. In the future, we fully intend to have the DNR present at any upcoming board meetings that we attend to show that "we" (S.M.A.R.T.) mean business.

We need to protray the positive image.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to say, I new this was coming ...........

It was just a matter of time.......Thx a$$ (o)

So as i read. This its about a fence & 1 way in?????

No way its a bunch of crap...

Theirs so many things on that conditions of approval list...

That will never be done...... Its funny......

But what ever....Ill take my quad $s else where....FU MN.....

Its a good thing I like Wisconsin....Go GBP.....

Old 11-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I was in a bad mood last night..my Bad!!!!!!!

But really...look @ that COA(conditions of approval) They list things on that which will NEVER be done....

like #11 All buildings shall meet building codes and all ordinances on property....

Now I no we all have been out there.you tell me who's going to tear down or fix lol....Roys Barns,garage,& house to get them up to code???

I could list more but I'm sure you get my drift.

Brian,Dave I know you guys are working on this & so have I..

But In less we find some 1 with alot of cash to spend up front I don't think this pit will go much further then it is now...

I hope you prove me wrong....... again if you guys need a hand with anything let me know.......

Old 11-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

the topic of buildings in the list of conditions is in reference to anything such as shelters or outhouses that would be constructed on the property under the grant-in-aid program. In other words, the grant in aid would not cover Roy's house or barns since that piece of real estate is not included with the grant in aid. Only the pit area will be in GIA. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

When, not if, we (S.M.A.R.T.) go back for a new CUP, we will fight the unreasonable conditions that were passed with Roy's CUP. I have to admit those on the last one weren't realistic.

Old 11-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Dave,

Expect a call from "them" regarding what we talked about last night. They should be calling on the number you left me.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I'll be waiting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations, Dave! Your letter to the editor was posted today (Wednesday) in the Faribault Daily News!

-------

To the Editor:

Recently, the CUP issued to Roy Bauer was recently revoked due to a group of off-roaders that continued to ride on Mr. Bauer’s property. The group, Southern Minnesota Area Recreational Trails Association, or S.M.A.R.T., is attempting to open this piece of land through the grants-in-aid program through the Minnesota DNR so all off-roaders will have a place to enjoy their recreation. Unfortunately, the recent events at Bauer’s Pit has created a huge stain on the impression of all off-roaders. We at S.M.A.R.T. do not condone illegal operation of any vehicle and do not claim any association with those who willingly entered the property illegally.
We encourage the non-riding public to view this situation as a select few individuals who have no respect for the law and those involved in the recent activities on this property DO NOT represent the majority of the off-road community.

S.M.A.R.T. was formed by a group of local off-road enthusiasts with the intent to promote safe, ethical, and legal operation of off-road vehicles. They encompass off-road trucks, ATV’s, and dirtbikes. Another intent of S.M.A.R.T. is to establish off-road trails in Southern MN.

With this property opened to off-roaders, it will provide an ideal terrain for new entries to the sport to hone their skills. There will be enforcement on site during open hours and an absolute zero tolerance towards unlawful operation, drugs/alcohol, or any other illegal activities.

Dave Sunderman
President, Southern Minnesota ATV Riders
Minnesota DNR ATV Safety Instructor

Quick Reply: MN Riders: Board revokes Bauer's Pit Permit