Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Living in Massachusetts and riding in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living in Massachusetts and riding in Canada

I am posting this question again in hopes that someone will offer a solid answer.How do I legally get insurance on my atv in Massachusetts so that I can ride the trails in Canada? Canada requires $500,000.00 liability insurance,I don't know which kind of liability(property or bodily)
This what I have tried: I have checked online with all the big insurance companies,Progressive,Geico...none of them will write a policy for Mass.
I am not using an out of state address because if there was an accident involving myself and another atv or car or whatever and it went to court,I don't want a lawyer picking apart the fact that it looked like I was trying to pull a fast one! It also makes sense to have insurance anyway even if we don't go to Canada.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Why not do a Google on ATV insurance in Canada and ask an agent?

Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Range Rover

Don't bother, I also live in Mass. and tried about 15 companies. No body will underwrite ATV insurance in Mass due to our antiquated insurance regulations.

Thanx

Old 02-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in lowell and have my sled covered by my agent. I also shopped around and found this was the only agent that would cover my toys only if I switched my house and cars to be insured by them.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:36 PM
FYN
Trailblazer

I haven't gone to Canada, but I snowmobile all along the border. When you get the registration sticker (whether Day or Season) THAT IS the insurance, that's why it costs so much to register for the season ( $180 for sleds). I'm not sure but I would guess it's the same for quads... Hope that helps.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've seen this discussed alot. It's pretty well established that Mass residents can't buy ATV insurance for sport use. (a few people have been able to add a plow and call it a farm tool or something)

The permits for quad riding in Quebec don't include insurance like sled permits do.

I emailed Tourisime Quebec and here is the relavant part of what they said.

Concerning your question, here is the information provided from the ATV Federation of Quebec:
For ATVs registered outside of Quebec, it is obligatory to obtain an insurance responsibility for ATVs in the country or province of origin.
If the broker outside of Quebec could not give this coverage of insurance directly (as in your case), the traveler could apply for it throught this insurance company:

Le Groupe 3PCS (Programme Max Quad)
(514) 252-3211
www.3pcs.com (only in French
info@3pcs.com

I hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input from everybody,it is very helpfull.The trip into Canada was cancelled due to this insurance mess.I'm hoping we will try to do an atv trip there soon now that I have more usefull info to be able to ride legal.
thanks all,
Cleve

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
FYN
Trailblazer

Well I'm glad to know now too. Figures that they couldn't do it the same as a sled. I've heard great things about the riding up there, can't wait to do it myself.........