Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Choteau Island in Granite City, IL / St. Louis, Mo

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choteau Island in Granite City, IL / St. Louis, Mo

Do any of you know anything about some old plans that some people had about developing some of the Choteau Island area in Madison County Illinois for an ATV / dirtbike area? I saw that someone posted info about back in 1999. That is about 10 minutes from my house so it would be great if they ever did that. I did some research on the net and I've found a lot about what they plan to do over in that area but nothing regarding and ORV area. If anyone has any info about it let me know. I'm just wondering if the idea has been scrapped completely or what.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I remember that..... I live it Granite City as well..... Don't think it's going to happen though.... The City of Madison owns part of the island and the federal government owns the rest... To many tree huggers are involved in the project.......

Old 02-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, from all of the websites I've seen that talk about the project on the island they have going on over there they call it a "green" area so I am sure that means no quads. But, I'd still like to hear what happened to the idea.

It is kind of crazy to develop the area to much especially since that area floods nearly every year. Aside from that I have read that they are closing the landfill down... sounds like a prime spot to ride to me. But, I am sure like you said the tree huggers stood up and flipped us the bird!

My girlfriend rides horses and she knows some people that are taking part in making the trail system over there but, of course no motorized vehicles... now only if I could find a way to peddle my quad and still be as fast....

Old 02-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

I drove over there and checked it out not long ago. Its just a big flat area of river sand. Not much character to the land if we're talking about the same place. This was between the canal and the river just south of the old Chain of Rocks bridge and landfill area. It might be good for drag racing but that would be about it. FYI, for some reason they do patrol that area. If you do decide to ride over there don't go alone. Nobody will find you if you get hurt.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Just a quick update on this..

I got an e-mail back from a guy who is overseeing the development on Choteau Island for Illinois. It sounds like there is no plan to develop any atv area. He said he recalled some talk about it but it never took off.

However, he did tell me there is a lot of old mining land in Sparta, IL that he has encouraged some ATV'ers to get a hold of as it would be perfect for this type of thing.

I'll let you guys know if I hear anything else. I've floated a few e-mails out there to people I think may have been involved with the original Choteau island plans and I am awaiting a response.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

I know one of the VPs of Peabody Coal. I'll ask him the next time I see him.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah! Find out what he knows and let me know.