Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

tugg hill info

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tugg hill info

just looking for some info....

where can i find a trialhead to park my car?
Where is a good place to stay?
Also how many miles of trails are there form that pakring area?

any other info is appricated.

Old 02-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Range Rover
Default tugg hill info

I was very disappointed with Tug Hill ATVing. I bought a map and the only thing was dirt roads. There are some trails but you couldn't tell if they where leagal or not. And police with Radar. Not what I call a nice ATV place.

Now if you want the go Snowmobiling it's your place.

Wayne B

Old 02-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default tugg hill info

Tug Hill has great places to ride, unfortunatly you have to be a memeber of one club or another to get in on them. I was a member of the Mad River Club, and spent many weekends riding around on some great trails, they had everything, roads, mud, hills, rocks.... But, again, had to be a member.

In the winter almost all clubs open up their trails to snowmobiles, but not so in the summer.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default tugg hill info

bump

Old 02-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default tugg hill info

no one?

Old 02-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default tugg hill info

What in the world are you guys talking about. I live about 30 minutes south of Tug hill and have been riding up there for 10 years on ATV's. Lets clarify some earlier statements.

1) You don not have to be a member of any club to ride tug hill, period. Most of the land on the hill is state owned and as far as I know the only repairs are done by the state after sled season when they grade the roads.

2) Speed traps???. I ride up there at least twice a month for 7 or so months a year and have never seen a speed trap for ATV's, but have for sleds. Actually of the 2000 miles I ride up there a year I see on average 2 cops per year on the hill, just checking for insurance and registration.

3) The maps are detailed but can be confusing. It is a big pain to go 5 minutes, stop, open a map and to see where to go next. I recommend going with someone familiar with the hill and just ride, ride ride.

4) If anything Tug hill is more ATV friendly then Sleds firnedly. You look at the local papers and see how many people are harrased for riding sleds and given tickets. Far, far far exceeds ATV's You name it those guys will nail you for just about anything. Heres the theory. Sleds are big buck, and so is riding them. People come from all over to ride the Hill, and guess what most have no other choice. So the cops are just brutal up there and it gets worse every year.

Chris

Old 02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tugg hill info

So Christopher, where are the best places to stage for a day of riding? Considering one would need a map, place to park, maybe some nearby eats and such? I am hoping to get out there this year also.

Randy

Old 02-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default tugg hill info

Randy, Where about in Rochester are you from? My father was born and Rochester and I have family in Greece, Webster, and other places.

Coming from Rochester there is two easy ways to get to Tughill. Take I90 (thruway to the RT 81 North Exit in Syracuse and go up 81 until you get to a exit that mentions Rt 177 East or Adams Center. Since I have never been north of Syracuse on RT 81 I do not know the exit. From Exit 45 to I think 36 it should take about 1.5 hours. Once in Adam Center you can hit RT 177 East for about 12 miles to Barnes Corners which many people seem to park. This is the furthest point on Tug Hill and the trails mostly go south. In Barnes corners and surrounding areas they have several poker runs each year. Usually one of the first begins in Barnes Corners. I heard last year they had about 600 quads at the first poker run.

The bars/restaurants you will hit in order from North to South are as follows.
Tuggers: Camping and food/bar, Barnes corners
Louis: Gas, bar, restaurant, Barnes Corners
Montague Inn: Montague, about 15 miles south on the trail Tuggers, food, gas
Flatrock Inn: about 10 miles south of Montague on trail
Timber view, about 7 miles south of Flat rock

You will also find other places like Highmarket INN, Marty's and a few others.

Most of the facilities have gas and maps or can point you in the right direction.

You can also take I90 to Utica and hit 12 N to Boonville/Constable Ville. Constable Ville is about the furthest South Tug Hill point. Form Rochester to Constable Ville about 180 miles. We typically park at Timberview which is about central Tug Hill and about 15 minutes by truck north of Contableville and ride both south, north and east from that point

Tug hill is really a nice place. Ya the main trail from bar to bar can get boring, but there are so many side roads that are more like trails, some car worthy some not. Also if you like jumping there are a couple of side roads have some awesome hills that you can launch off, (spotter of course) But there is a lot to see up there. Other than Tug hill there are several clubs up North that due have there own trails, but need to be members.

Chris

Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tugg hill info

Cool, thanks for the info. I live in Greece now. Grew up in Conesus, about 30 miles south of Rochester. Been by the hill many times on my way to Fort Drum-good times. I hear good things and bad about Tug Hill, but mostly good. Guess it's about time I find out for myself.