Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Silver lake and dunes? are they fun?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is eveyrones input on these dunes? were from wisonsin and planning a trip to them. Is it worth the trip? How large are these dunes? Camping? Would it be neccasary for paddle tires or is it thick sand that you dont need paddles on? I ride a ds650

Old 09-22-2000, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Great riding. I really can't compare the dunes to anywhere else cause silver is the only place I've ever ridden in the sand. The dunes sure seemed huge to me though. Yea, you will need paddles. Your 650 should do really well there. If the weathers good there should be a LOT of people there on weekends. It should make for some really good drag races. The 650s and modified 250r were winning most of the races. Just make sure you get your voucher ahead of time to get in. Otherwise it can be a pain. I was there with friends who knew what was going on so it made it a lot easier. But yea, its worth it, I made the 8 hour trip from Pennsylvania.

Old 09-23-2000, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

Hour and a half from my house& go at least once a year ( 3 this year). No, you don't need paddles.. We ride 00 Polaris Trailbosses which are not the fastest quad around and have no problem getting around. Two strokes zip right around and your DS650 should fly. Paddles will only accentuate the ride. It's an absolute blast!!
Vouchers are only for weekends, user volume has at the least quadrupled in the last 10 years. We waited in line 8hrs just to get in the park on a holiday weekend about 6 years ago. During the week you can usually drive right in; no waiting.
There are at least 6 campgrounds that i can think of in the immediate area, one of them being a state park. Also a lot of motels have sprang up in recent years.
One thing we always do when we go. Take an easy ride around & familiarize yourself with the hills/crests. They change continuously each visit and even throughout the day.
A lot of people bring there trucks out and park by the lake. It's great for picnicing and having a nice place to stop and take a break.
Have a great time!

Old 09-23-2000, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, you dont NEED paddles. You can still spin your way through the dunes. Go there without em, find another 650 with em, race em, and if he is still in eyesight when the race is over than I'd say you did pretty good.

Old 09-26-2000, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

If you go there without the paddles you could probably get a complete set at the ATV performance shops near the entrance to the dunes. I was at Duneland's shop last week and saw complete sets of 9 or 10 paddle Haulers and Mohawks on sale for the DS650. They were clearly marked for the DS650- mounted on Douglas wheels and ready to go (fair price too).

Old 09-26-2000, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

Hey slim_101 I just noticed that you are'nt too far from me. What and where do you ride. I usually go to dunbar or hillsville and I ride a '87 250r.

Chris

Old 09-26-2000, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

You'll shoot yourself if you don't have paddles. My buddies 240 Blaster beat a paddle-less DS650 drag racing.
If you go, be sure to go to Manitowoc and take the Badger across the lake. It's a good time, saves money and beats driving around the lake. It docks in Ludington which is about 20 minutes north of the dunes

Old 09-27-2000, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer

Never heard of dunbar. Whats it like. I usually ride at Shenango, cause its only about 5 minutes away. If you've never been there your really not missing that much. Yea, I've been to hillsville a few times. Lately, I've been going to the Allegheny National Forest (about 2 hours away). The Timberline and the Marienville Bike/Atv trails. If you want a pretty good challenge, go on the Bike trail. A helluva lot of rocks. I've also been to switchback near Butler. I was pretty out classed on my 2000 300ex, mostly it was dirtbikes with a couple 250r, and about 4 400ex. It was a little over an hour away. Ever been to holeshot? I've heard that was supposed to be good.

00 300ex FMF Powercore IV-2, K&N jet kit and filter, outerwear, armadillo swingarm guard

Old 09-27-2000, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

thats a good idea...where do you catch the ferry? roughly howfar is the ferry from Chicago?

Old 09-27-2000, 06:04 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the link to the SS Badger, carferry.
WWW.lakemichigancarferry.com

Quick Reply: Silver lake and dunes? are they fun?