Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Ocotillo Wells/Glamis Rentals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ocotillo Wells/Glamis Rentals?

Do you want to stay at a camp ground? I can give you the name and number, if not their is alot of places to camp that have fire pits, covered picnic tables, near restrooms. Any where along the road is a good place if you want to camp in the open area. You will be able to see where people camp as you drive to the park. Holmes camp is a good open area place, a liitle loud and busy at times, never stayed their.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

No you do not need paddels, there is some sand like at blow sand but no one has paddels, even my 2 boys can make it up on there 90cc quad,s without them. Blew up the old 250r their last weekend racing to the top against a guy with a modded 400ex

Old 03-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Chili3 - is the camp ground at Ocotillo or some place close by. I want to smell (and hear) the two stroke in the morning, wake up and ride! So if the campground is condusive to that sure. But, the folks I go with, including myself, can tend to be a bit rambunctious (but not too offensive or obnoxious - there are children present) at night around the campfire (and after a few beers), so staying in the riding area may be better. We all have toyhaulers/motorhomes so facilities are not an issue. Fire ring and picnic tables would be nice though. How different is the campground from the regualr riding areas? Also, have you heard of the Cove? Is that an ok place to set up camp?

CE750 - Glamis is about an hour ride away from Ocotillo Wells, less if you're not pulling a trailer. So, ride at Ocotillo during the day and catch the sunset at Glamis at night! If she's never seen or ridden dunes before - do the dunes. But, if she's never ridden before, then ride Ocotillo as hard pack is easier and more enjoyable for a new rider.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

We stay at Mobiland which is across from the airport down split mountain road very close to everything, that is why we stay there. If you all have motorhomes and such feel free to camp in the open park. The cove? I don,t think you would like to camp there. Just drive along highway 78 and look to the side of the road on your left and camp between blow sand and pole line road. After you have been there a few times you will find places to camp to fit your needs. You will here plenty of noise every where in the park. If not just tell me where you are camped and I will give you a wake up call at 5:00 a.m with my 250r! L.O.L

Old 03-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Range Rover

If you're going to Ocotillo Wells, bring a dust mask and wear it under your helmet. The dust out there can be really bad. And hope you don't mind riding whoops. There's a lot of them out there. And if it starts to rain, stand by for the flash flood because it's coming.

I went to Ocotillo Wells a few times, but I think I'll stay with Glamis. Glamis is so big, it's easy to get away from the crowds. Even on busy weekends. They do have quad rentals out there next to the Glamis store.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kawirider thinks Ocotillo is dusty, because he is always riding BEHIND ME! (The picture to the left was taken at Blow Sand Hill, and Kawirider was the photographer.)

Katstoy-I like "the Cove" for campsites out at Ocotillo. There is a big sand canyon behind camp, that leads up to Blow Sand Hill. And, lots of flats for the kids to ride around on.

CE750-Not going to be around at all on the weekend??? If you were, we could get together a group and show you around. Ocotillo is a big place!

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=1217

http://bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/califor...lls/index.html

http://www.desertusa.com/ovr/du_owinfo.html

Old 03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Won't be around on the weekend...out for my sisters wedding in Palm Springs...thanks for the offer.

So I am now leaning to hitting Ocotillo Wells in the morning for 3 or 4 hours, taking lunch, then driving down to Glamis for a couple of hours to at least show my wife the dunes and do some riding down there for an hour or two. Does this sound like too much to do in one day?

Glamis store? Anyone have anymore info on this rental location?

Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

About two weeks back I called the ranger station at Ocotillo and asked them to send me some info! WOW the place seems great. They sentme a really fantastic map with good trail detail, as well as other maps and area info. I can't wait to go!

I'm thinking of the Easter weekend, but I'm stuck in the middle! I have frineds/family in AZ, where Buttercup is the halfway point. And friends/family in Hesperia, and we usually go the other way to Dumont. Ocotillo is perfect for me, but adds an extra hour on to everyone else's trip. And since the two guys who drive for each group are stubborn sons of b*****s, I'm going to have to do some real swift convicing to get them to drive an extra hour! Heck, I may just go without those varmints and make new friends at Ocotillo!

CE750 - hopefully I'll have been to Ocotillo before your trip and will keep you posted!

Old 03-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

If anyone heads out to Glamis over the next couple weeks and they are near "the store"....would they mind grabbing a phone number for the rental place out there or a name? I want to make sure of their hours during the week...Thanks

Old 03-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Range Rover

I'll be at Glamis over Easter weekend. I'll try and remember to get that info for you.

BTW, anyone interesting in getting together for a ride at Glamis over Easter, let me know.

---Paul

Quick Reply: Ocotillo Wells/Glamis Rentals?