Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Ocotillo Wells/Glamis Rentals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ocotillo Wells/Glamis Rentals?

I will be there tomorrow. I will try and get you the number CE. I checked with them on Presidents, I about fell over, was gonna cost $150 per hour or something like that, I think there was an overnight deal from 9PM - 9AM (close - open) for $800, other than that, I was shocked that people rented there, I will double check this weekend. I wanted to rent one for my step-dad, after seeing the prices, the poor guy ended up on a DS-90 part of the weekend (all 6'3") of him. I wanted him to have fun, but not at $150 per hour for a Trailblazer 250. They rent Trialblazer 250's, Sport 400's, and Predators with Sand Gecko paddles, didn't see any helmets.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

Ohhh.... if you want to impress somebody, I would put my money on Glamis - but it's not for everybody, to truely enjoy Glamis you need to get into the dunes, just for camping and cruising.... you may be better off with the dust masks (yes I agree - take dust masks) at OW, but as far as appearance and sights, Glamis is the one.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: chili3
If not just tell me where you are camped and I will give you a wake up call at 5:00 a.m with my 250r! L.O.L
Finally made it to Ocotillo for the first time this weekend. Found a great spot to camp, and Chili3, was that you at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday? If it was thanks, I was able to get up early and have the "Easter Bunny" visit my daughter before she got up.

CE750 - here's my $.02 for your trip next month. Start with Ocotillo - but do it early early early in the morning. It will be hot there during the day starting about noon, so get there early to get some good riding time in. I'd reccommend Holmes Camp for the day. It's too crowded there for my taste to set up the toyhauler there on the weekend, but for a day trip it's perfect. There are shaded picnic tables, and the all important rest rooms right there. The area is also very close to My Desert Rose, about 1 mile away by the main highway. We stayed away from the campground and dropped anchor over a ridge from Holmes. There were only two other campsites near by, maybe 300-400 yards away. We backed up next to a ridge and had no dust until the winds kicked up Monday. Since the 20th is mid week you should have no problem getting a shaded picnic table at Holmes. We were there from Saturday to Monday, and 3/4 of the place cleared out by Sunday afternoon, practically had the place to ourselves.

If you think that you'll be coming back to CA, then just stick with Ocotillo. There's so much to see. However, if you're not then don't miss the spectacle of the sand dunes. Ride Ocotillo till it gets too hot, then head for Glamis, (where it will be even hotter). Glamis is about 1 to 1.5 hours away from Ocotillo. (Ocotillo is about 1.5 to just under 2 hours from Palm springs.) Even if you don't ride at the dunes, it's an awedome sight.

Keep us posted on what you eventually do! Have fun!

Old 03-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CE750
How is Ocotillo Wells? Is it visually as impressive as Glamis?
Yes, and no. Yes in that it is beautiful desert, that you probably don't get much of in Illinois. Shell Reef is pretty damn cool, as was the washes and little tan lizards. The terrain at Ocotillo is varied, from hard pack, to sand to rock to really, really, really deep and sticky mud (as we foudn out Saturday night - thanks to the dune buggys for towing my daughter out of the mud). From our camp we had a great visual panorma of desert floor rising up to mountains.

No, in that there's nothing like sand dunes. Pretty damn damn cool.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Sorry Katseye it was not me at 5:30 am we decided to stay home, but will be back out this weekend. I am glad you had a good time. Remember there is alot to see at Ocotillo, almost every weekend we plan a adventure on our quad,s.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CE750
Wife and I will be in Palm Springs April 20th for a few days. Want to show her Glamis Dunes, but am having a hard time finding any rental places there. We will be renting a car so trailering will probably be out of the question. How is Ocotillo Wells? Is it visually as impressive as Glamis?

Any help or ideas?
So, CE750, did you make it out here? What did you opt to do? Hopefully it was a blast!