Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Pinnacle Creek/Rock Castle trail head

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinnacle Creek/Rock Castle trail head

Hey Guys

Planning a trip there next month weekend of the 23rd. Couple of questions for those that have been there. I looked at the web site and this looks like a good place it has the most amount of blue and black trails. We're looking for a challenging place, all will be on big bore 4x4's with winches btw.

1. Is there a good place to camp that you can ride to and from the trail head?
2. Are the trails muddy and challenging?
3. Will it support 3 whole days of riding without too much repetition?

Also a little description from those that have been there would be great.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

ive BEEN TO HATFEILD MCCOY . bUT NOT THOSE TWO TRAILS . iM LEAVING THURSDAy with my son and we are riding castle rock and onnacle creek . I will be back the following tuesdsay and let you know what i thiught . I ride a plaris 800 . AND MY son rides a 450 kodiak . He loves the mud so im pretty sure i can give you a good feedback Have you rode rockhouse ! we loved it the black trials are very challenging Ill senf you a message when i get back

Old 03-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

Pinnacle Creek is a very nice trail. Fun to ride, but challenging? no way! A good hard days ride in the summer you might be able to cover the whol;e trail.
If you want challenge, try buffalo Mountain, or Rock house. You can find a campground right on the trail at Rockkhouse Twin Hollow campground

You can easily spend 3 days on rockhouse

Old 03-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys and Kushman thats exactly the kinda of info I was looking for.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Range Rover

Pinnacle Creek it well layed out. It is fun.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:42 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Pinnacle Creek is a good “warm-up” trail system. The trails are relatively easy (like the Little Coal River system), however when compared to Little Coal River I like the Pinnacle Creek system a little better as it has more variety and scenery. Pinnacle Creek black rated trails are similar to Browning Fork blue trails in degree of difficulty. The Cow Shed Motel (Pineville) is a good place to stay (that has room for vehicles pulling trailers) and you can ride your quads to the Castle Rock trailhead (about 6 miles over the road) from there if you want to.

Rockhouse (Browning Fork trail system) is our favorite and has the most miles of trails and some great scenic vistas. The Twin Hollow Campground near the Gilbert end of the system is very popular. Personally I’ve always stayed at motels or other housing units where I can ride my ATV directly to the Browning Fork trails (via the Rockhouse trailhead near Man or via Gilbert). Beware of the black rated Browning Fork trails. Some of them can be hazardous (especially # 94) if you are not used to that kind of technical riding. If you really want to try a Browning Fork black trail I’d recommend working your way into it by riding a lot of greens and blues first. Then if you find yourself wanting more of a challenge, take on a black, but save # 94 for last (I’ve heard it can be the nastiest trail in all of the H/M systems combined). I’ve personally been on all of the Browning Fork trails at one time or another over the years, except for # 94.

Buffalo Mountain has a nice collection of trails too but not as many trail miles as most of the other systems (except for Dingess Rum given the number of trail closures it currently has). Note however the Buffalo Mountain system has a higher percentage of trails that are better suited for intermediate to advanced riders compared to the other systems, something to consider if you have any beginner riders in your group.

Dingess Rum can be a blast when it’s all there, but right now a high percentage of the trails are closed for various reasons, therefore it should be given the least amount of consideration at this time.

We typically devote one full day per trail system (4 riding days total) when we go down...