Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield Mccoy

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield Mccoy

I have been riding at Hatfield Mccoy for the last three summers. I always had soo much fun. I was wondering about how other people feel about Hatfield Mccoy, GOOD OR BAD.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

i like that place,cant wate till they make it bigger then we can ride from man all the way to matawan.and i wish i lived a lot closer,this 11hr drive is just to hard to do .

Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield Mccoy

I will never get tired of riding Hatfield-McCoy. That place just rocks! The thing that I like about it so much is that there is something for every skill level. I can get a large group together and those of us that like the harder technical trails can have fun and the riders with less experience can have fun on the green trails. We go up about twice a year and it is the vacation that I look forward to the most each year.

I also can't wait until they open some more trails.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

More trails on the way.....

Trail heaven

Posted: Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 - 08:01:50 pm EDT

Long-awaited Hatfield-McCoy nears McDowell

Although it took longer than originally envisioned, we welcome the planned mapping of the Hatfield and McCoy Trail next month in McDowell County.

If everything goes as planned, trail officials hope to begin mapping a possible 100-mile segment of the trail system for McDowell County in early July. It should take about a month to complete the work, according to Hatfield and McCoy Executive Director Matt Ballard.

Ballard said officials are currently looking at two different trail options for McDowell County.

The first would entail a separate trail system somewhere in the county, but the second option would involve an actual extension of the existing Pinnacle Creek trail segment in Wyoming County into McDowell County. If all goes as planned, Ballard said the McDowell County segment of the trail system should be open and in use by next spring.

Although it took much longer than originally envisioned, we applaud the long-awaited start of work on the trail system in McDowell County. The mapping process is a critical first step that must be completed before the actual trail can be developed in the county.

The trail system is operational in Logan, Mingo, Boone and Wyoming counties, and has been a financial boon for the four southern West Virginia counties attracting all-terrain vehicle riders and off-road enthusiasts from 49 states and nine different countries. Many of the riders who travel from other states and countries will stay for several days in the region spending tourist dollars at local restaurants, convenience stores, hotels and motels.

Although the final stretch of the trail planned for Mercer County is still several years away, the addition of the trail system to McDowell County will provide spin-off benefits to Mercer County. The trail system also is expected to help reduce the number of outlaw riders in the region by providing a legal and professional designed and regulated trail system for the local and regional ATV riders.

We welcome the addition of the trail system to McDowell County, and the thousands of riders and tourist dollars it promises to bring to the region. We also urge trail officials to move with haste in opening the long-promised trail segment for McDowell County.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Hopefully that section of trails will be open by my Memorial Day weekend trip next May!

Old 07-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hatfield Mccoy

The trail rangers told us that when they are done they qill have thousands of miles of trails.The best set of trails for mud and easy riding is Little Coal River. It is the best place to start riding trails there. My first time there I was 11 and I went to Rockhouse from Gilbert to Man. It was one of the roughest rides ever. But now I went there this year and it was very easy. The difference is a blue trail at Rockhouse is like a black trail at Little Coal River. The only set of trails I have not had a chance to go to is Pinnacle Creek, the newest one and the farest south. Cant wait til I go down there.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Pinnacle Creek is cool. It is somewhere between Little Coal and Rockhouse in difficulty but it is a great ride and great views.
I think HM is great, they are expanding and riding is great. The condition of the trails is amazing. The maintenance and construction is well done.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield Mccoy

Hello kushman. Headed to randy and vivians 15th 16th 17th and 18th of this month our 3rd trip down . We plan to ride waterways this time and rockhouse always. 9 hour ride from ocean city maryland but worth it .

Old 07-12-2005, 02:01 AM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

If you haven't rode Dingess Rum (Bear Wallow trailhead) or Buffalo Mountain recently be sure to include those in your itinerary as well. Dingess Rum has some new trail mileage that was recently opened up and it seems like they’ve improved trail 14 as well (it meanders through some nice wooded scenery). As for Buffalo Mountain, running to Matewan and to Williamson via their connector trails (starting from the Reverend Compton trailhead) makes for a good day of riding...

Old 07-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield Mccoy

I just returned from my first trip to H/M. It was awesome. We rode the Browning Fork (Rockhouse) system the whole time. Here's a few random thoughts:

- The Browning Fork Trailhouse is a great place to stay. Marty is a terrific host. My only complaint is the water in the Rider's Retreat cabin tastes and smells awful. I even brushed my teeth with bottled water. Hopefully Marty will do something about that before my next trip. I found out about the trailhouse from this forum - I appreciate the tip.

- I met Billie Ann (at Billie Ann's resturant in Gilbert). She told me that the mayor of Gilbert, who was a primary force behind allowing ATVs to ride in town, was defeated in the last election. She said there is now talk of revoking that access. Givin the amount of cash that I'm sure riders pour into that town, I think it would be a big mistake. Hopefully, the new city government is smart enough to see that.

- Trail 93 is a mother. It is the only trail we wussed out on.

- Some of the trails are extremely rocky. I saw several broken tie rods and more than a few slashed sidewalls.

- Both me and my buddy managed to: Not get hurt, not have any breakdowns, not damage any equipment. Any one of those things can quickly ruin a good trip.

- The locals are all extremely friendly and seem genuinely glad that your there.

- Any doubts I may have had about purchasing the Rubicon are erased. It performed beautifully.

- I think some of the wide green trails are more dangerous than the black trails (except trail 93) because of the idiots that ride ballsout, blindly sliding around corners without having any idea who might be coming the other way.

- Wally's (in Gilbert) has a great breakfast for $4.50.

It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back.

Quick Reply: Hatfield Mccoy