Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Spider Lake Minnesota ATV Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spider Lake Minnesota ATV Trip

Me and a few others, are planning a trip to Spider Lake http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/spider_lake/index.html
Don't let the site fool you...there are tons of trails not listed on that map.. you can easily put 100 miles on a day if u ride hard enuff.. its a blast out there... gravel pits also... lakes to swim in.. and more..

check out my site for info and pics...
http://www.gcextreme.com/ATV/ATV.html

anyway we will be heading out prob friday August 26, from Alexandria MN in the morning...

contact me via email.. gc_extreme@hotmail.com if ur interested in coming.. me and my brother know the trails pretty well and the good camping sites...

i will post more info on here soon

Old 08-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Trailblazer

FYI, Becareful. Was up there Sat. and ran into a cass county worker, he was there to clear trees on the trails. He stated "There going to be a lot of changes coming to Spider Lake soon." He made it sound like there has been numerous accidents in there lately. There is going to be a lot of new signs going up, including 20 MPH speed limit signs all over. We did see atleast 4-5 trails we were on a month ago, have a NO MOTORIZED VEHICLE sign up on Sat. Some of the mud holes had snow fencing across the trail as well as a couple of the steep hills. Also looks like they were doing a bunch of maintenance to the trails. Sounds like they really want to crack down on the violator. Just as me and some buddies were talking to him about all 2 up riders, guess what goes buzzing past us. You guessed it, 2 on their ATV doing about 40 mph through one of the gravel pits off hwy 2. 10 minutes after we parted ways, we passed a group of 10 ATV's. Some riding 2 up, (2 people over 16yo), some with 5 year olds WITH NO HELMETS. Great, take the kids out, but put a FREAKIN' helmet on them.

A little FYI.
A little venting.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, me and Brian K. from Fairbault...was up there last month...right after the big storm.. alot of trees were down, had to go around or over alot of it.
We met up with tthe Cass county worker, in the white truck, an older gentleman.... we talked to him about the same stuff..
But it sounds to me like once they make all the changes, it will be a much safer place to ride in reality..

Yes alot of trails were closed due to the trails flooding or becoming completely unsafe.. the guy said they are slowly working on them...

About 3 weeks ago when my bro and i were up there..we saw many new dirtpiles on alot of the trails... they are going to be filling in some of the mudded rutted areas and doing other stuff..

And as far as riding without a helmet.. thats just stupid! Not actually Illegal..but still stupid..i mean i have seen people on Motorcycles and CrotchRockets driving fast down the highway and not wearing a helmet... thats stupid and suicidal..

Anyway we arent going to let the small things hinder our trip.. anyone is welcome to join us..
bring a cooler, ice, pop and WATER, and of course extra Gas, and a tent or camper, and food!

Hopefully the weather is good.. but thats not stoped us from riding before, lol

Peace

Old 08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

Saturday I watch an ATV flip over on its side going down one those bigger hills with ruts. Happens so quick, it suprised me. Lucky he had his helmet on because he cracked his head on the side of the hill. Ended up with a sore neck and some sore ribs. As far as the helmet goes, I believe it is ILLEGAL for any one 18 and under not to have a hemet on any motorized vehicle. Correct me if I'm wrong. My statement about the helmet was intended for the kids riding with there folks. Seen 3 kids NO HELMETS. I'm sure Ma and Pa are probably safe drivers, but what about the idiot that comes flying around the corner doing 30+ and runs into ya. KIDS SHOULD HAVE HELMETS. As far as the guy in the white Cass county truck. Sounds like the same guy we talk to. He told that someone over in Backus was killed on an ATV a few weeks ago. Guy and his wife were riding 2 up and the ran into something. Guy died as a result of wife being behind him. I never heard the story on the news or in the paper. Don't know if there is any truth to the story or if was to keep people from riding 2 on an ATV. Also how do you get 100 miles up there? Ae you hitting the forest roads too? Or do you double back?

Spider Lake is probably my favorite place to ride. Two weeks we are going to try Reddot and Moosewalk/Mooserun.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

Well first of all.. i believe Everyone should wear helmets.... its just smart..

And as far as the mileage goes....
there are too many trails to count...and yes a few are closed...but still alot are open... and you can put many miles on in the gravel pits...
plus if you cross Cnty Rd 2 i think.. right across from the main gravel pit.. there are more wider trails back there.. as well as two big lakes.... and if you know your way around.. u will come to the powerline pipeline area...
there are big huge powerlines that run for miles and in this open area is hilly rock terrain with tons of trails, dirtbikers really love it there...

And yes we double back some. going back to camp for food, water and gas.... but plain and simple... we put about 200 miles on our fourwheelers on one of our trips...

It's also my favorite spot to ride, as well as Tri-County in Northfield/Fairbault, whatever..

Anyway so far for our trip it will be me, with my 250, my brother with his raptor, Brian with his Scrambler, my friend John with his arctic cat utility, and maybe a few others that are undecided or may have to work..

If anyone else wants to join us... let me know via email or phone. gc_extreme@hotmail 218-731-6962

Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

My time off has been approved. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If the weather doesn't look excessively bad, I should be there. I'm looking forward to riding up there again. I had a blast the last time...