Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to go in VA!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved to Virginia not to long ago and was wondering if anyone could tell me of any places to ride! Thanks.

Old 10-17-2000, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tasker's Gap trail maps and driving directions are at www.nvtr.org, along with a "Quads, On-the-Rocks!" story, describing the area in some detail.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-17-2000, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

There are only a few places in VA to ride legally, here is a link to the Rocky Run Atv Trail, Peter's Mill, Taskers Gap, Patterson Mountain, and South Pedlar Orv trails..
http://www.fs.fed.us/gwjnf/orvtrails.html
Also sometimes we ride the only non-rocky place I know of in Hartwood, off rt 17. Send e-mail to vhendrix@crosslink.net if interested.

Old 10-17-2000, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

Quadman
You are outside of Richmond so I would be heading to WVa. to the Hatfield McCoy Trail System. They have over 250 miles of trails open and will have close to 500 miles open by spring. Here is the link to there web site. www.trailsheaven.com
Well I did a map search and you are 337 miles from them also. So it might just be an occasional thing but it is the best riding on the east coast.
go to the ride are section of this web site and find then Nat'l Forest riding areas. That's all there is in VA. the problem is it's very rocky riding in all the Nat'l Forest areas.
Wayne B

Old 10-18-2000, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is also a place in Surry Virginia called Slade's Park.

Old 10-18-2000, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

I'll be moving to Richmond in at least a year's time. Will need some info. on "Illegal/Private" land riding areas. I already know about the legal areas, however, I am accustomed to going out the "back door".

I live in Stafford, Va. about half way between D.C. and Richmond. I ride a lot in the Triangle/Woodbridge area on private ("Illegal if you will?") riding areas. The area consists of pipelines, power lines, and private land. As for the pipe and power lines, I think technically it is illegal to ride, but not enforced. That's the way most of the riding takes place.

There is another area along 95 (Massopponax exit) just South of Fredericksburg, Va. where I've notice a gathering of ATV riders. The area is next to a Trailways bus depot. I've never ridden there, but think it might be a pretty good place to jump, etc. Not sure how long any of the trails are, but some friends have ridden there and liked it.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-18-2000, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Be very careful riding in Prince William County.
If cought they will inpound your ATV and ticket you for treaspassing. They have really cracked down. They do have police out on the trails on motorcycles. If you run and they catch you you will be ticketed for falure in stop. They can take you in for that also and it will go on your driving record.
Wayne B

Old 10-19-2000, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I've heard they patrol the Cardinal Drive area, which borders the Dale City area. Don't know if you know where these places are located, but where I ride, they do not patrol. I have been riding my area for the past 20 years and have never crossed paths with a Prince William Co. official.

I am surprised you've heard the same things I've heard. Are they cracking down in your area too?

Old 10-19-2000, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, thanks alot guys, I really appreciate the info and will definitely be looking into all of it. Thanks again!

Old 10-19-2000, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

It is illegal in Prince Willian county to ride an ATV, Motorcycle or Go Cart. Even on your own property unless you have over 10 areas and then you still have to stay 150 feet from your property line. I do not know how this law got passed. If you get caught they impound your vehicle and ticket you. So be careful. If you are riding out on the Power lines on the other side of Rt 1 or near the Potomac they do Patrol that area. I know a dozen people that have had there ride inpounded. One ran, got caught, ATV was impounded and he did not get it back. So if you are in PW County you are taking your chances.
Wayne B