Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

tower city vs hatfield

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tower city vs hatfield

how does tower city compare to hatfield. i know it's not as big, but overall is it worth a 3 hr trip up

Old 08-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Tower City is about the same as any 1 of the 5 trail systems in Hatfield McCoy. Maybe a little more rock though. I don't think its as commercial as Hatfielf McCoy but that's about the only real difference. You will find most trails are beginner to intermediate with a few rough spots for the more advanced to help the rest out on. They lead a guided trail ride every sunday morn around 10:00am and its really worth going on if you've never been. But I don't think they take beginners on that ride. You will see more varied and interesting scenery on that 2 hour long loop than you would probably see at Hatfield in a whole day. On the down side, there aren't as many mountains, just a couple of long ridges cutting their way across the property. Hatfield has so many mountains folding in on one another, you really can get the sensation of being lost in another world. Not so much at Tower City. I think they really could do with makking a lot more trails than they currently have at Tower City.

Tower City is best for a 2 or 3 day weekend. You could ride most if not all of it in 2-3 days. And the Old Colony motel in Pineville has weekday rates around $40/night single.

By the way, not far from Tower City or Pineville is Raush Creek MX park which has it's own woods trails too. There's a seperate fee to ride at Rauch Creek. Its "woods trails" section is nowhere near as large as Tower City but because of the 7 MX & ATV tracks &&& woods trails, it might be a good fit for a family. Personally, I hate MX parks. But I have to say, this one has a very nice woods trail section compared to others I have visited.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

thanks a lot

Old 08-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

Que4life,

I have not ridden Tower City. But most riders that I have talked to that have ridden both places say they like Hatfield Mccoy Trails much better. I personally cannot compare them.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

I heard you mention Pineville, whats thats?

Are you refering to the coal hills and trails at Shomokin near Tower City? I've been there once and the coal hills are incredible. . Actually there are intimidating at first sight. The entier site has alot of varied features like wide coal roads very dusty you cant see three feet infront of you and you gota where a scarf for the dust, risky exciting riding. They also have some tight narrow trails and pond reseviors and mud holes to play in. But you will lose track of time at the coal hills for sure. Also they have a bunch of neat things to check out like the swim hole I haven't seen yet and a natural formation of rock that looks like a whale back geologists go there to study I haven't yet seen. There are miles and miles we haven't yet explored. Not sure whats the deal on the legal aspect, I've heard it was private property but its open and hundreds ride there all day and night if you want on the weekends, all the locals including town goverment officials and sherrifs also ride there. A local to me they put on a hare scramble occationly to raise money for charity. Its getting logged from what I understand so not sure what the deal is on week days. But the area is changing seenery weekly and I'm worried about how much longer this place is going to be open, might not be as rideable there in two years. All the guys we went with said we'll be back. There is plenty of flat wide roads for beginers as well. I would only recommend going with a local group or at least with a group thats been before. Not for the unprepared.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Up the road from Tower City is Paragon A.P. They have a wide variety of trails from rock crawling to mud and streams. The have something like 15,000 acres. There website is www.paragonap.com. It is definately worth the trip.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

As a rider I try to go to all different places, but with out a doubt if you can only pick one, you must go to Hatfield-McCoy.