Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New Minnesota ATV Regulations 2005-2006

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006 | 06:23 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default New Minnesota ATV Regulations 2005-2006

In both the paper edition and the online edition of the 2005-2006 Off-Highway Vehicle Regulations Guide, there is no reference to any change for ATVs as far as noise level. The 99db to 96db Noise Level Change is for Off Highway Motorcycles (OHMs) and takes effect July 1st of this year. Whether or not a "plan is in the works" to change this for ATVs is unknown to me thus far.

Radio Shack used to sell a portable sound meter that measured dB back in the day. In fact, after a brief search, I came up with this one: Radio Shack Analog Sound Meter. I have no idea, though, how this would compare with actual meters that the DNR uses. I've had a lot of experience with Radio Shack crap, um, I mean stuff in the past, so no guarantees on quality on this product either...

Does anyone know for sure about a noise level change for ATVs, and if so, can someone cite a reference?

Old 04-25-2006 | 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let's see if I understand this correctly. I do not reside in Minnesota, but my 16 year old daughter who has a valid drivers licence and has been riding an ATV for over 6 years cannot ride on state land in Minnesota but CAN drive my Ford F250 crew cab diesel pulling my 18 foot trailer down the interstate through downtown Minneapolis at 60 MPH. Where I come from once you have a valid drivers licence that pretty much covers most things with wheels. (Except for the big rigs). Is this correct?

Old 04-27-2006 | 09:36 AM
Trailblazer

That is correct Zooger. Unless she is riding something 90cc or smaller. Welcome to Minnesota, land of 10,000 dumba$$ laws!!. You ought to see my 13 year old, 6'2 nephew sit on an Artic Cat 90. Thats an accident waiting to happen.

Old 04-29-2006 | 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Let us know when she will be rolling through minneapolis with that rig. I pull a bulk tanker in minneapolis all week long and just want to make sure I stay out of the way. LOL

Old 04-29-2006 | 11:54 PM
|
Pro Rider

I think the DNR is probably doing the regulations that way because they are tracking a problem with teenagers and ATV injuries/deaths at that age. I certainly see your point that the same kid can tow/haul with a bigger pickup through downtown Minneapolis, and it's legal. However, I just don't think a lot of that goes on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Not that it couldn't, mind you. If an epidemic would start with that, you better believe the Minnesota legislators will be oooohing and aaahing about getting a law changed...

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the DNR law, but if you look at it objectively, there probably IS more of a problem with ATV crashes at that age. Like Dave corrected me above, if she has a license, then it's only the CD-ROM based training that she needs to pass. Basic safety rules and regulations....

Old 04-30-2006 | 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anybody know how long until, under the age of 18 (16 here), you MUST have passed the basic rules and regulations test?

Because I just found out about this last week but that's not going to stop me from riding...

Another thing, my exhaust may be louder than the allowable 90-something Db. What happens if somebody says something about it, will they ticket me? And how much?

I didn't install the exhaust system, it was there when I got this machine and I can't afford $400 for new exhaust.

Old 05-01-2006 | 01:05 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UncleDavid218
Does anybody know how long until, under the age of 18 (16 here), you MUST have passed the basic rules and regulations test?
The new law became active January 1, 2006.

Because I just found out about this last week but that's not going to stop me from riding...
That's your choice, but if you get caught, you'll get the standard ticket and fine. You are also on the hook for having to complete the ATV "behind-the-wheel" course training the second time you get caught for that violation.

Another thing, my exhaust may be louder than the allowable 90-something Db. What happens if somebody says something about it, will they ticket me? And how much?
You can certainly get ticketed if your exhaust is louder than 99 Db. If you were confronted by a DNR official, and you spoke with the "not going to stop me" attitude you seem to have, I would imagine you are going to get the ticket rather than a warning. I'm not sure how much the fine is going to be, but most anything is at least $100 nowdays. Any violation of ATV rules of any sort now is also going to make you retake the ATV Independent-study training session.

I didn't install the exhaust system, it was there when I got this machine and I can't afford $400 for new exhaust.
Again, that's something you'll have to live with then. I'm not gonna join the pity party or start a donation drive to get you a new exhaust. I ride with a louder exhaust too, but I have a different slip-on for use on DNR trails, so that I'm not illegal, and don't get people irritated with the noise...

Old 05-01-2006 | 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

There's no need to be hostile. I was just asking a question as I have ordered the CD but won't get it for another week or so. So I was wondering if they would fine me in the next week even if I had ordered the CD and intended to take the safety course. I literally didn't find out about this until a week ago so that's why I am slightly worked up. As for the exhaust, about how loud would 99Db be? Or is there a cheap way to get tested? Because mine's loud but I have no idea what 99Db sounds like.

Old 05-01-2006 | 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Uncle,

you can't blame klier for posting the way he did. Your comment about not having the certification isn't going to stop you from riding set the tone. It's that type of mentality that damages our sport.

As far as kliers answers, I don't think he was the least bit hostile. He was straight to the point and informative. He took the initiative to research and provide you with the information you requested.

If you want to find out when or where you can get your exhaust tested, you can contact the DNR office @ 1-800-minn-dnr. If they don't have the immediate answer, they will redirect your call to someone who can. Check for a local club that puts on some events and see if they have the necessary equipment. I know SCDR in the Kasota/Mankato area does. Be patient and learn from kliers actions and take some initiative. If you want to ride a motorized vehicle in MN, it's your responsibility to understand and obey the laws that pertain to that activity.

As far as the question from the guy in Williston ND, all your daughter would need to do is order the CD-ROM from the MN DNR at the number posted above and they will mail the CD to you. Return her results to the DNR with the $15 fee and they will issue the certificate.

I did a course last year where a guy from just west of Sioux Falls SD brought his son 3 hours to take my course. He read up on the laws and wanted his son to be legal to ride here. Then, the following weekend, they drove to Walker MN for a weekend of riding. Now that's dedication.

Dave

Old 05-02-2006 | 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks LEP7MM. I was going to contact the MN DNR to get the CD for my daughter. I also have a 12 year old son. I have volunteered to help with rider education here in ND and hopefully become an instructor. So I was wondering if the certificate offered in ND after passing the class will cover being able to ride in MN? I used to live in MN and still ride their with my brother a few times a year. Our boys are now old enough so we want to start taking them with on some good rides.

Quick Reply: New Minnesota ATV Regulations 2005-2006