Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Taylor Park Colorado, must sees??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
jbh
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taylor Park Colorado, must sees??

I am leaving for Taylor Park Colorado for my first visit Saturday. I have a trail map of the area but what I want to know is what are the must see places to ride to, or the trails that you would highly recommend. We will be there for 4 days of riding so we have some time to see several of the areas.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you were to go to ATVQUADSQUAD.com forum and go to the Rocky MTN Rockhoppers section there is more info there for the Taylor area than you can hope to try in 4 weeks let alone 4 days.

Have a good time.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

taylor park is great,,,,have fun

over 10,000 feet,,,,dont forget the smaller jets [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have logged many hundreds of miles in that area, you are in for a treat! scenery so beautiful it almost seems illegal riding there. Be sure to stop in the little city of Tin Cup and take a ride over Tin Cup Pass, take a rest at Mirror Lake on the top, its amazing.. Check out the ghost town of ST Elmo, Romley, Hancock, all great areas, be sure to take a spin over Tomichi pass that is one of my favorites,, keep an eye out on the top, you will see a old gold mine cave you can crawl into, you must watch carefully the entrance is not easy to see. Also check out the Mary Murphy mine. In the same area as Romley.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a side note here. Got back from Pitkin on the 3rd. We tried doing the St.Elmo, Tincup, Pitkin loop but TinCup Pass was still snowed in on the 26th. Hancock Pass was open (got snowed on at the top), not sure if Tomichi was open or not, from up on Hancock you could see several patches of snow on the Tomichi trail.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your quite right,, all of my trips were late july and august just for that reason. You can plan on running thru snow easily until after the fourth of july weekend.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 AM
jbh
Trailblazer

I got back on Saturday and it was the best riding I have ever done. The weather sucked the first 2 days because it rained a lot but we still rode in it. The last 2 days were perfect. We logged 360 miles on the ATV's total. The most senic ride was the trail up taylor pass and over to aspen ski mountain. We camped the whole time and the fire ban was lifted so we had a fire every night.

Thanks for the advice on this forum, we had a great time.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By any chance is your name Hank. Do you have a son named bobby. haha. all joking aside, have a great tip in colorado.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Planning a trip for next summer and need some advice from your recent trip.

My dad & brother live in Glennwood Springs and want to meet me in Aspen.

So my buddies & I are going to Taylor Park. We would like to ride to Aspen
and then all of us will come back to Taylor Park. And trailer all of us over to
Glennwood before we head back home.

How long did it take to get to Aspen?
Which trails?
Any other advice would be great.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Range Rover

It is a straight shot from Taylor Park north to Aspen. Get a map and head for Taylor Pass. It is abought 15 miles up the Gravel road to the entrance to Taylor Pass from the Trading post. If you look at a map the trail starts just past Dorchester Campground and it is 5 miles to the top of Taylor from there. This will take the longest of all the sections as it is the rockiest. Once you get to the top of Taylor Pass there are 2 options the high road or the gravel road. The High road is the one you want to get to Aspen. The gravel goes down to a blacktop. I cant remember exactly how far it is to Aspen but I think it is around 10-15 miles from the top of Taylor. This is all reasnobly smooth riding and can be done at a faster pace if needbe. Once you get close to Aspen you will know it because of all the hickers. Wach for sighnes that say something abought Aspen ski resort. This is the way you wana go. It will be to the right. The left will go threw a residential area and dump you on a blscktop out of town. You can ride down the service road to the bottome of th eski slopes and park at the edge of town and walk in from there. The town dont want ATVs any farther than this. As far as time It depends on how fast you ride and how much site seeing you wana do along the way. I could do it in a couple hours if i wanted to push but the first time I did it it took 4-5 hours or more one way.