Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

A Warning to NJ Riders

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Warning to NJ Riders

Bump dead ahead for ATV riders in county sites
Proposal calls for a $500 fine for first offense
Sunday, December 03, 2006
BY LAWRENCE RAGONESE
Star-Ledger Staff
Randolph Manager John Lovell was walking through a new hiking trail in town recently, enjoying a bit of nature. But his serenity was jolted by an encounter with an all-terrain vehicle.

"The ATV whizzed by me at about 30 miles per hour," said Lovell. "If it hit me, they would have had to scrape me off the ground. It was dangerous."

Advertisement

As with overpopulation of Canada geese and white-tail deer, Lovell says off-road riding has become a suburban problem. There are safety issues, plus environmental harm to woodlands, ripped up trails and costly damage to parks caused mostly by youthful riders, he said.

Representing the Morris Trails Partnership, Lovell has asked the Morris County Park Commission to take the lead in setting stiff penalties for persons caught riding illegally in any of the county's 39 towns or county parks.

The proposal calls for fines of $500 for first-time offenders and $1,000 fines and forfeiture of vehicles for second offenses.

Problem is, say off-road enthusiasts, there is no place to legally ride on public lands in Morris County or North Jersey, and virtually no riding areas in the state.

As the county and state have spent millions of dollars, and crafted legislation, to preserve huge swaths of green spaces, off-road riders, who also pay taxes used to buy open spaces, have access to none of that land. So they ride illegally, heading from their backyards to watershed lands and parks and wildlife areas and trail systems.

"They are making us criminals," said John Parrinello, a Wanaque resident and state representative to the National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council. "People are legally buying off-road vehicles sold by dealers in this state. So how can you continue to say you can't ride those vehicles?"

There are an estimated 80,000 to 200,000 off-road vehicles in New Jersey. Many more will be given as Christmas or Chanukah presents in coming weeks.

"It's really big now with younger kids," said Mark Dombrowksi, a former Morris County sheriff's officer and manager of Ledgewood Power Sports in Roxbury. "I've sold many to police officers and their families. In every other state you can ride. Why not New Jersey?"

It's a complicated issue, said Bill Foelsch, executive director of the New Jersey Recreation and Park Association, and chair of the State Trails Council. The state is densely populated and much of the open land is environmentally sensitive, he said.

Other than privately owned land, there are just two legal sites for off-road riding in New Jersey: a tract in Burlington County owned by the N.J. Conservation Foundation, which plans to close it to off-road vehicles in 2008, and a course for local youths run by the Egg Harbor Township Police Athletic League.

Advertisement

"Clearly, there is a need for additional off-highway vehicle sites," said Foelsch. "But it's difficult to find a community interested in hosting such a facility."

The state Department of Environmental Protection is searching for two off-road sites, one each in North and South Jersey. The DEP spent $2 million for 200 acres in Monroe Township, Gloucester County, but a neighboring town is battling the project, said DEP Assistant Commissioner John Watson.

"We thought we had the best possible remote site," said Watson. "If we can't do it there, I'm concerned we may not be able to do it anywhere in the state."

As for North Jersey, Watson said they have not been able to find a suitable tract. But ATV owners users have plenty of favorite illegal spots.

David Helmer, executive director of the Morris County Park Commission, said ATV riders often tear through unspoiled forests in the 18,000-acre park system.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate off-road riding a 6 or 7 when it comes to the scale of the problem in our parks," said Helmer. "In some areas, it's probably a 9."

Yet, Helmer is sympathetic to the legitimacy of ATV use. He noted state and federal dollars are available to finance creation of off-road sites. The park commission a few years ago found a place in Mount Olive that was ideal for off-road riding, but the landowner was not receptive, Helmer said.

"It's wrong to turn a blind eye to that activity," said Helmer.

But he also favors stiffer penalties for persons who motor through county parks. "Once you catch a few, they're going to get the message," said commission member John Sette. "They'll know we're watching."

Last week, West Milford police announced a "zero tolerance" policy toward illegal riders. The announcement came after they impounded three ATVs last month following horseback patrols conducted by the Passaic County Sheriff's mounted unit.

Advertisement

Chief Paul Costello said the patrols will continue and said violators, in addition to losing their vehicles, face summonses, fines and criminal charges.

This angers enthusiasts like John DeFilippo of Jefferson, who hauls his vehicles to New Hampshire to ride.

"You know how many miles of hiking trails there are in this state? Thousands. And there is nothing for us to utilize for riding. Not even in the woods," said DeFilippo.

There are some points of agreement between off-road riders and other trail users. Both agree on a need to register vehicles, issue identifying plates or markers, mandate training courses and use registration money to finance enforcement and safety.

But those issues are on hold until riding sites are located. And unless sites are found, Lovell advises parents to face the "reality of the situation."

"I don't think buying an ATV in suburbia is a wise investment," he said. "That's just the plain truth

Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 AM
DS2
Range Rover

I read an article similar to this a week or so ago, and they also said if your ATV wasn't registered, you would be unable to pick it up from the repo yard (no proof of ownership). You would have 30 days and then it would go up for auction.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

Its been happening a long time here in south jersey. We used to have a local gravel pit that we were allowed to ride in. They sold it and we started being chased out by the state police. They would just tell us to get outta here, and we would leave. Now they take your equiptment and fine you. It's getting bad now. I liken it to the young skateboarders and bicycle riders who are getting in trouble for being kids. They have virtually nowhere to go anymore either. Go figure................

Old 12-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

well, i ride in the woods near intermidiate east in toms river and the cops are craacking down. my dads friend is a detective and he said that his chief is making it the MAIN priotority to catch all the atvs. they just bought a few atvs too. i've been cought on the road twice. (a few blocks away from my house is the woods) and they just either make my dad pick the quad up or if im close enough, just let me drive it to the woods......

honestly, i dont want to sound like a b****, but if you have an encounter with the cops, just stop.....they'll most likely let you go and they have more respect for you. when you run, they chase you and make it their main priority to catch you and your screwed if you get caught.....

it really sucks but there is riding up in tuckerton that i havent had any problems with cops and a lot of people ride there......

Old 12-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: recon250submarine
honestly, i dont want to sound like a b****, but if you have an encounter with the cops, just stop.....they'll most likely let you go and they have more respect for you. when you run, they chase you and make it their main priority to catch you and your screwed if you get caught.....

I agree recon, but I also believe that part of the problem is that people are stopping for them, and getting their stuff impounded and getting fined, so they run. I myself am all growed up and don't even have the you-know-whats to run anymore!! I don't even attempt to ride on the road, I bought a trailer so as to not be in the wrong as much as possible. But I do think if you are honest and polite, it ups your chances of being let go!

Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

yeh...i did run once but of course my quad tops out at 40 so i ended up getting caught lol.....he just yelled at me and made my dad pick me up......the thing i dont get though is if the woods are around the corner from me and im going slow, what is the big deal? i understand if you're going crazy and driving on main roads but im on all the side roads and stuff.....but i mean, N.J. is considered the **** state so this aint no surprise lol

Old 12-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: recon250submarine
but i mean, N.J. is considered the **** state so this aint no surprise lol
Yea, You got that right!!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the main reasons I moved out of NJ....

I grew up there riding the tracks in Landing but they killed those long ago. There was literally no point in owning an ATV in NJ.

I kid you not when I say it was a major factor in wanting to move out of NJ altogether. We tried to buy some land in NJ but could not afford it so it was off to NY where we now live on 140 acres. There is no way I'd be riding today if I still lived there and a lot of the people I know who still live there have stopped riding. A few of them come up here to visit a couple times a year just to ride and not have to worry about being bothered for it.........

Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am not getting my atc 250r taken away.
roost the police.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: gravelord
i am not getting my atc 250r taken away.
roost the police.

While I do share your frustration, This is exactly the problem.....................

Quick Reply: A Warning to NJ Riders