Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hatfield-McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatfield-McCoy

My uncle,aunt,2 cousins, their friends and their daughter and I are all planning an upcoming trip.

1. First Off I need to know if the Hatfield-McCoy is a nice place to ride.

2. I live in Virginia is there anywhere else close to go.

3. I know its Winter so is there still any place open.

HELP???

Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hatfield-McCoy

I have heard a few people talk about H-M but haven't been there myself as it is an 8 hour drive.

As for places in VA be more specific it is a large state so to find something closer to you, where are you?

Winter, what is winter... Was just talking to my family in NY and they say it is supposed to be back up in the 50's and 60's this weekend. I know we are supposed to get rain.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hatfield-McCoy

I live in the Fredericksburg area.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Range Rover
Default Hatfield-McCoy

Check out Black Mountain Recreational Park in Harlan County KY (KY/VA border)....great riding there! www.rr.kyoutdoors.com

Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-McCoy

...and they're open year-round, and it doesn't cost anything to ride there (Black Mountain park that is).

Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hatfield-McCoy

I have been to the Hatfield McCoy area to ride. It was totally awesome. Spent 3 days there. Riding on roads is LEGAL. Not highways , but all secondary roads. We did not go to the hatfield mccoy designated trails. We stayed at an outpost. It is at the entrance to a trail system that goes all the way to Kentucky. We spent 5 dollars a night to camp next to a beautiful creek. There was a bar/resturant with a bath house at the outpost. BEST 3 days I ever had riding. We have already reserved a rental house at the outpst. CAN'T WAIT>

Old 01-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-McCoy

its a nice place and can b a ruff place [ if ya get on some of the black trails ] .

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hatfield-McCoy

I have been to H-M. Please give more info on the trail system you were on. Was it in H-M or on private ground. If you liked the place you stayed can you give me a name and PH number.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hatfield-McCoy

I have been to Hatfield-McCoy about six times. 10 to 16 of us go from Mathews Va there for about 6 days. We stay at Browning Fork Trailhouse owned and operated by a local couple Lisa and Marty real good people. We rent a single wide and a double wide trailer home from them every October. Their place has direct trail access and they don't hesitate telling you the good" places,shortcuts and scenic places that are not mapped or part of the regular trail system. The H-M site is under www.Trails-Heaven.com and lisa and marty's is Browning fork trailhouse. They have a total of 3 trailers and one small cabin.open campfire pit, privacy fences, big parking area "once you cross the bridge" and you don't have to lock a thing up around there, there is always a watchful eye on the place.The trails up there can sometimes be a little miss-marked on there difficulty (green is easiest , service roads for local power and gas co., blue is medium difficulty , but sometimes easy or sometimes very hard. black, experienced only!!! not for the faint of heart. then they have I beleive orange for single track or motorcycles. They do have wardens that patrol the trails but only have ever seen one, he was a very nice person to talk with especially learning all about legall ****-fights in an adjoining state, it was hilarious! The locals want you there and they do what they can to make sure you enjoy yourself. There are several different trailsystems in the whole H-M system each color rating is set by each mountain, the black trail at Pinnacle Creek are no-where as hard as the ones at say browning fork area. Do your research before you go there is plenty of info on the web and once you go there each trailhead has currrent info on each trail by the rangers and riders .